very big lake trout

msp

Thant's inteesting cause I've read otherwise... contaminent levels have dropped overall since the 70's

You're right Swordfish, and overall, that's true. Levels of some types of contaminants in Lake Ontario have dropped significantly since the 70s. Phosphorous would be a great example.

But unfortunately, levels of many other types of chemicals have not declined one bit. And the simple fact is, brand-new chemical contaminants show up all the time.

Beyond that, our testing capabilities have become more sophisticated. We are now able to test for things we couldn't test for before. Some chemicals have always been there, we just couldn't measure them until now.

None of this makes me want to think about slicing that guy's big laker into fillets and grabbing a box of Fish Crisp.

Jeebus, if people freak out over one trophy laker taken for a derby I'd hate to see them by the fish mulcher at Port Credit during the Salmon Hunt :D

There's a 99% chance that laker was stocked.

There are piles of greasers in Lake O, Ontario stocks more lakers than rainbows.

There have been half a dozen confirmed 30's around the lake this year.

Unclench everybody, jeez.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Opinions are like bungholes. Everybody's got one, and yours stinks!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

They should change the name of this site to the Opinions Fishing Network, they wouldn't even have to change the logo.

What's wrong with having an opinion, guy? Remember, all through life, some opinions will differ from yours.

OK, so here's my opinion for what it's worth.

If that fish had come from any other lake than Huron, Michigan or Ontario I would have wanted it to go back in the lake.

I used to fish lakers in Lake O a lot and over the years have caught plenty in the 25-35 pound range.

They grow very quickly down there when compared to Northern fish. They also don't live anywhere near as long. That same size fish up here would be about 60 years old, while I bet that fish is less than ten years old and near the end of it's life.

That fish does seem to be a genetic anomaly though as it is quite short. Maybe it is a triploid, any one know if they are planting triploid fish in Ontario? In BC they are stocking a lot of diploid and triploid rainbows in the lakes there.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Its a put and take fishery with salmon and lakers and has been for two generations now. Until we find a way to repair the damage done to spawning areas it won't change.

funny because the mnr refers to it as a rehabilitation project. that's leaps and bounds different than a put and take. just because it has yet to be successful doesn't mean it's designation has changed. if you can find published information to the contrary, i'm all eyes.