Stanley Cup

Stoty

This is a great thread...(some minor character assaults notwithstanding)...either way you slice it the hockey is exciting, and you can't help but feel the passion from both sides. I have been impressed with the skill and control Detroit shows, but I can't help but hoot and holler when the Pens light it up! Just seems like more heart, and now that they've proven they can outplay the Wings for long enough to win a game, I hope they can keep it going :D Bring on the best of 3!!!

This is a great thread...(some minor character assaults notwithstanding)...either way you slice it the hockey is exciting, and you can't help but feel the passion from both sides. I have been impressed with the skill and control Detroit shows, but I can't help but hoot and holler when the Pens light it up! Just seems like more heart, and now that they've proven they can outplay the Wings for long enough to win a game, I hope they can keep it going :D Bring on the best of 3!!!

Some of us have very little character to assault. :o

Classic. Points are the only measure of a hockey player. :wallbash:

Your right, if they were than Crosby and Malkin would be the best in the league right now.

Back to Scoty and his comment-

Hahahahahah, you guys are killing me!

Its funny that the Pens fans didnt have too much to say when they were down 2-0, but now all of a sudden...bam!

Pretty sure I myself didn't start to brag after last night's game. I said my plan and I'm going to stick to it. (pg 1)

Big mistake to win the first 2 games, look at Washington. The Pens will win the Cup this year after they push the series to six(winning the cup at home).

However, a game 7 would be unreal.

Let's Go Pens.

However, some members may of started there bragging after last night's game, but like you, I don't brag nor do i start thready feeling way cocky after 2 back to back wins.

Good luck in game 5 and 6.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Classic. Points are the only measure of a hockey player. wallbash.gif

I agree...

I love the guys who measure the success of a player buy their "points"

I suppose by a measure of points a guy Like Scott Stevens, Guy Carbonneau, Larry Robinson are what....chumps?

How about Danny Cleary?

Would you throw him to the dogs cause he's not a point getter?

Only 14 "points" but +17 and the TOP plus minus on the team.

Do you think Zetterburgs would be doing as well as he is with out him?

Heart of the team if you asked me....

Plus minus actually wins games, and says a lot about a players game play!

This measures not only the goals and "points" you score, but the plays you set up, the situations you create, and leadership on the ice you provide, and the inspiration you instill in your line mates....and did I mention it minuses the mistakes your on the ice for?

If your going to follow a number as opposed to an overall effectiveness an individual character...Plus/minus is a number to follow not "points"

But FYI,

Syd the Kid has 31 "points" and is +12

Malkins has 35 points but is only +3

In a pool sure I might pick Malkin but on my team, and especially my line....Syd is 4x more effective.

Edited by Cookslav

Let me start by saying...I'm no fan of either team by long stretch of the imagination LOL!

Go...ummmm....mmmm......who'd most likely to win this?....ummm I'll cheer for the underdog.

Go Pens :thumbsup_anim:

But this...

what vicious slash on Zetterberg...

That there is funny!

That was a vicious slash?

I suppose you thought the Zadane Head but was a colosal blow as well LOL!

Stupid penalty yes,

Frustrated is he?....yes

But vicious?...c'mon

I've seen weed wackers hit harder then that :whistling:

Zetty "may" have embelished that one a bit....just a bit

Say what you want about Syd....he's still a star, like 'em or not.

(insert Sour grapes here) :whistling:

I guess I kinda fell into the "Hate The Rich Kid Who's Sucky" deal along with most of the hard-nosed hockey fans in the world, but the more I watch him, the more I like him. The announcers keep talking about how he works on developing his leg strength and it shows when he goes behind the net one handing the puck while he fends off some horse who probably outweighs him by 50 # or more. He does a lot of things really really well, and he makes or takes passes as well as anyone I can remember being impressed by in the past. He's proving hisself to be the real deal despite what his detractors would love to have us believe. They'd all be getting misty over him if only he played for their team. Yeah, he might have been a bit of a diver, prone to embellishment and whining in the past, but he's evolved into a really great player to watch, except perhaps for last night, but every superstar has bad days. For me Crosby looks like a player at least a notch above Malkin, but for show Malkin and OV are the big dogs. I'll still take a few lines of Crosbys with just a smattering of Malkins and OVs to draw the crowds to pay for the entertainment.

Malkin is great, no doubt about it, but to a different degree. He may mature into a smarter player one day but he's got a lot to learn to be Sid's equal as a contributor. He reminds me so much of OV. He's not quite the hotdog OV is, but he's every bit the MeMe player. Watch how he cruises looking for a break out pass, and then wastes an opportunity by dipseydoodling through the other team usually just getting pushed off the puck. He's not quite as overt as OV about it, simply standing up at the offensive blueline setting a tape target for whoever has the puck, but he's not as smart or as willing to muck for the puck as Sid. Crosby gives away opportunities when he sees guys in better places. Malkin just wants the puck - period. That being said I believe there was a very nice passing play recently when he fed Sid, but those are few and too far between for me.

I wondered if Datsyuk would be in top form when he came back. I guess we got our answer. He kinda owned the play last night. How much of that is having the home ice advantage and very good line management on the bench will be answered in the next game.

I'm knocked out by the depth of Detroit. They're having to sit guys who are playoff stars. Sucks to be Pittsburgh then huh? I guess the unanswered question is will these guys be stars in a few years when the old farts have migrated to the retired players lounge to watch the games. Detroit has pretty good chemistry right now. Can they sustain it without Lidstrom et al?

The Pens looked kinda lost after that initial flurry, speaking of which, I wasn't impressed with Fleury last night, but then even star goalies can't be incredible every night.

The next game will be interesting. Perhaps the Pens will show us that this is a homer series. Whatever they do next I have my doubts they can win the Cup this year, but heaven knows, they're getting closer all the time. If they can keep some of the rear guard guys for a year or two more they're gonna bring that cup home. I'm not sure if I'll be a fan ever. One never knows when the Leafs might pull out of the slump. But unless the Leafs start their inevitable comeback soon I guess Crosby and the Pens will be my default team.

JF

Edited by JohnF

I'm knocked out by the depth of Detroit

Ditto,

And last night proved a point...older or not they got the goods.

Nothing pisses and old guy off then being called and old guy LOL!

Kinda a crappy one way game though...

Some stupid penalties, and a team scorned makes for a great first and second period if they are your team...

But after that its just boreing :dunno:

Ditto,

And last night proved a point...older or not they got the goods.

Nothing pisses and old guy off then being called and old guy LOL!

Kinda a crappy one way game though...

Some stupid penalties, and a team scorned makes for a great first and second period if they are your team...

But after that its just boreing :dunno:

There's always the next game.

JF

One never knows when the Leafs might pull out of the slump. But unless the Leafs start their inevitable comeback soon I guess Crosby and the Pens will be my default team.

Hey ya never know. I haven't had much to cheer about for quite a while but my favorites, the big bad Bruins turned things around in the last couple of years and at least made it out of the first round against those pesky habs. That's like winning the cup right there. :) Anything else is just a bonus after that.

Crosby deserves a lot of credit. He performs well even with three wings all over him. Whiner or not who cares, they all whine when it's them....he's a superstar. The wings sure can turn it on when they want, but they are fighting hard for it too. The pens can play up there with them but got caught up in stupid penalties last night. I would hope to see a more disciplined pens next game.

You call that poor excuse for a Stanley Cup, A GAME! Pretty bad I had to Rush back from Fishing and watched 10 Minutes of Garbage. Oh Well at least it gave me time to get drunk and watch my Black Sabbath and ZZ Top DVDs.

You call that poor excuse for a Stanley Cup, A GAME! Pretty bad I had to Rush back from Fishing and watched 10 Minutes of Garbage. Oh Well at least it gave me time to get drunk and watch my Black Sabbath and ZZ Top DVDs.

If there's no hockey on I'd rather listen to music, but hey, to each his own.

JF