cameron lake incident made the news?

frozen-fire

I have run into this "waters mine" mind set plenty of times fishing steelies on Ontario and even New York.

Seems people think that because they got there first they own the water.

Doesn't matter that there are only two people fishing a hole that will comfortably fit a dozen or more without being crowded.

Some people are just :asshat: and there is nothing you can do about it "legally" :whistling:

Solopaddler and I even had it happen in Alaska last fall and the :asshat: was a guide.

We told the local CO who came to check our licenses later that day.

As luck would have it :asshat: guide guy just happend to be heading down river at the time so it was waaaaaaaay easy to describe him to the CO. :lol: She took after him and gave him her card and said for him to call her as she needed to talk to him. Very professional not to dress him down in front of his guests. I gather he was read the riot act later though. They are pretty serious about guide conduct in Alaska.

May have to wait another day or two. Police have been notified and mentioned that they may look into it.

Sad about the angler on Pigeon :(

Glad to hear the authorities have been notified, it was the right thing to do!

Very sad about the angler on Pigeon, I'm sure if he'd been wearing a PFD he'd be alive today.

Considering that there was a task force headed by Barbara Hall to investigate incidents against anglers, I'm sure the authorities will be at his door asking him questions about the incident. I hope people don't stop fishing because of people like this.

I think people have the idea that there kids and grand kids want to be able to catch fish in the future off there waterfront properties and feel that if fishermen keep everything they catch that the lake will be fished out,this might explain some of the hostilities people have had.

I also think that anybody who has fished infront of someones dock or fished a shoreline has experienced people saying or doing things to try and make them move regardless of race ( one of my favourites is when they let the dog bark at you for 15 minutes while they are in the area and don't tell it to keep quite) . I had one guy make a comment to me that I probably could have called the cops about and said I was scared but I chose to just keep working the shoreline and not let it ruin my day of fishing.

I have been following this this thread and others on this topic .

If you feel you have been wronged make a call, land or lake.

If someone you know asked for advice if have been been wronged

make the call for them. Make the call , document it , follow up.

We all pay the user fees and tax, lets make use of the rights

we are provided , then see what comes out in the wash.

I'm not surprised this happened...I know how it feels like to be of asian decent and out on the lakes in a smaller boat (canoe, 12 or 14 footer). While I agree that there was no specific mention of race, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they were singled out and preyed on.

I doubt the cottager would approach the boat if they were Americans (who pretty much take out all the panfish they catch...on my lake anyways).

Sad.

While I agree that there was no specific mention of race, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why they were singled out and preyed on.

I doubt the cottager would approach the boat if they were Americans (who pretty much take out all the panfish they catch...on my lake anyways).

Sad.

You're correct, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure it out (DIDJ'A GET THAT PART CRAM?)

... as for the Americans taking all the panfsh they catch... they must be from Ohio!!! :rolleyes:

... a 12" Bass is a "trophy fish" in Ohio!!!

I still don't know

I have to get pretty close to a boat before I can tell what race people are.

if I think I see a person keeping an OOS fish and I move my boat over to theirs, I am well on my way and committed to talking to them before I can tell what race they are and doesn't play into the fact that I am going to confront them

frankly I have fished for crappie and had another boat maybe 15 feet away and didn't know (or care) that they were a different race till they started talking and the only thing that bugged me was, they might be giving good fishing tips and I didn't know what they were saying LOL

I've fished with Terry and been in a vehicle on a highway with Terry... yah, trust me he can't tell! LMAO! And after spending 4 days in a hut this winter with Terry, I can guarrantee that he listening for tips! STILL LMAO!!!!

In life there is always two or three sides to a story. I am far less than pleased at the side of the story being told here, but will resrve any further judgement, until the other two sides are made public.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

I still don't know

frankly I have fished for crappie and had another boat maybe 15 feet away and didn't know (or care) that they were a different race till they started talking and the only thing that bugged me was, they might be giving good fishing tips and I didn't know what they were saying LOL

:lol: Good one Terry, next time bring a tape recorder, I'm sure someone here can decipher those good fishing tips..

No worries Terry. I'm sure they were saying " Hey, look at that dude over there! Nice shirt!"

So no racial epithets were said at all but we "know" it was racially motivated. Let's call the press! What a bunch of crap. Let's call in the human rights thought police. I said it earlier, I've been screamed at, threatened, and told to leave countless areas. Must be because I am white. The problem with this is that when people actually do make threats due to race things like this look like crying wolf. He never said any racists names that I could see in any post but it FELT like it was racially motivated despite there being no evidence. Racism is wrong, just as wrong is crying racism when there was no evidence of it, only feelings and assumptions.

The guy was a first class idiot and the cops should have been called then and there if they were that worried. Welcome to the world of fishing, there will always be someone who doesn't like what you do.

in a way it is comforting for the "minority" fisherpeople ( since we are trying to be politically correct) that there are members here that find these types of situations insulting and uncalled for also.

the thought of ANY ONE of our members interpreting these racial undertones and agression as anything less than dispicable is disturbing to me.

I'd start tossin my believer into his boat if i ever saw anything like that!

hope the fine the pants off of em!

i ask again - where were the racial undertones??? :dunno::dunno:

i mean, its HORRIBLE what that guy did, and he certainly deserves a visit from the police, but i still don't get the racial part.

I mean, would the same thing have happened if the guys weren't catching/keeping any fish?

That area has a small group of cottages....i'd hate for that small group of people to be labeled racists (and ganged up on by the people on this board)

That area has a small group of cottages....i'd hate for that small group of people to be labeled racists (and ganged up on by the people on this board)

They aren't being ganged up on because they are racist. They are being ganged on because they are idiot rednecks. Relax, the whole idea of bringing everyone's boat out to Cameron Lake was just a thought. You'll be safe this weekend and the next. :P

I'm kidding!

You do have a point and its valid. The idiot didn't call anyone a chink. But it goes back to stereotyping and it doesn't only apply on the water.

i ask again - where were the racial undertones??? :dunno::dunno:

i mean, its HORRIBLE what that guy did, and he certainly deserves a visit from the police, but i still don't get the racial part.

I mean, would the same thing have happened if the guys weren't catching/keeping any fish?

My friends that were on the receiving end of this incident have not been the ones indicating any racism remarks, it's been the media that has been pushing for a racial part. My friends had made it clear that they feel that it was an isolated incident (cottager) and not the area. They have repeatedly mentioned how nice everyone in the area were.

Please leave the racial card out of this argument, it is more about the illegal actions the individual committed and yes, the local police are now involved and trying to get the other side's story.

Thanks for trying to keep things civilized.