A Tale Of 2 Back Lakes ~ One Bust, One Boom

solopaddler

The Arrival

I recently had the pleasure of spending a couple of days up at my camp with Jason (Basskicker on the OFC board).

On tap were a couple of back lakes including a new one for me.

With the ongoing renovations it's really only been the last couple of years where I've had the time to explore the nearby back lakes, many are still completely unknown to me.

A few years ago I had a discussion with an MNR biologist in Kirkland Lake concerning a small hard to get to lake just west of my camp.

According to him there are natural brookies in the lake. As to how the fishing is or how to access the lake, he didn't know.

That's all I needed to know and it was first on our list of lakes to try..

We arrived at my landing to find some unexpected additional fishing opportunities. Can you say high water? :)

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-2.jpg

Meat Coma

After unloading the boat at camp and prepping for the next day it was time to eat.

Jason had brought a pile of moose meat, I had some pretty decent NY strips. We decided to have a wee bit of turf and turf. :P

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-5.jpg

I suffered a meat induced coma after dinner and crashed mightily, disturbing visions of ravenous moose and brook trout haunting me..

A Tough Row To Hoe

The next day dawned perfectly: sustained 60-80km S/W winds, and heavy rain that fell horizontally. (That was sarcasm :) )

Still we were there to fish and fish we would.

We bundled up for the boat ride across my lake, riding huge swells and whitecaps enroute to the landing.

Fittingly enough after the previous nights orgy of meat we almost had another close encounter with moose on the highway:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-3.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-4.jpg

I knew where a side trail branched off from the main logging road that seemed to head towards the trout lake.

That was our goal, and armed with a gps we started up the gravel road.

As mentioned it was just a bit wet:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-6.jpg

The road got progessively rougher and narrower:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-7.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-8.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-9.jpg

I could have easily driven in a bit further, but it was getting a bit too brushy and I didn't want to scratch the vehicle and face Joannes wrath in the process :) .

Sooo... we unloaded the canoe and strapped it onto the cart with all our gear inside. Time to pull now.

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-10.jpg

After about a km or so the atv trail we were on quickly petered out and we had a decision to make, do we portage the canoe in with us, or leave it behind?

According to the gps we were undoubtedly heading in the right direction, so we were fairly sure the trail was heading to the lake.

I figured the smartest move was to leave the boat behind and walk in with fishing tackle and the paddles. Usually there's always a boat or canoe cached on these back lakes and we still had 11/2km to go, so that's what we did.

At first the trail was great, well defined and easy to follow:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-13.jpg

It quickly deteriorated:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-12.jpg

Obviously there were some predators about, we found some fresh innards on the trail. :)

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-11.jpg

Even though it was a tough slog, it was a beautiful forest and high winds and lashing rain aside our anticipation level was high:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-14.jpg

We finally made it to the lake with the trail spitting us out in a meadow at the south end where a creek flowed out:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-15.jpg

The big downer was there was no boat. :(

It was already 12:30. We figured by the time we went all the way back and humped the canoe into the lake we'd be running out of time.

It's not my favourite thing to do but with no other options we opted to walk the lake and fish from shore.

The wind and rain were crazy as we picked our way along the steep rocky shoreline. The brush was unbelievably dense and there were still deep pockets of snow in the bush making progress difficult..

Along the way I crossed this beaver dam to avoid soaking my boots:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-17.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-16.jpg

I wish I could say we slayed 'em, but we didn't even have a hit. Frustrating for sure as I still don't know whether there's trout in the lake or not.

I'm going to have to go back again at some point with the canoe..

Anyhow we gave it our best shot walking almost halfway up the lake casting at likely looking spots.

The wind and rain were right in our faces and that didn't help at all. Not making excuses, but it was a very tough go.

By around 4pm we were soaked to the bone and ready to head back out. There were no fish to be had but it was definitely a day to remember and we did see some amazing country.

The brook trout gods havn't been smiling on me lately, I have a feeling next time I'll be due. :)

Finally Some Fish!

The next day was a complete turnaround, perfect clear bue skies and light winds from the north.

We started out on a different logging road, canoe strapped to the roof and spirits high.

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-19.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-20.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-21.jpg

We quickly parked and loaded the boat:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-22.jpg

We had a short run to the end of the lake followed by an easy portage into the lake we'd be fishing..

The scenery was amazing and Jason was snapping pictures like crazy enroute:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-23.jpg

We approached the small rapids that we had to portage around and stopped for a few casts. No luck, but a nice spot:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-24.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-40.jpg

We quickly hit the trail and hauled our gear over to the other side.

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-39.jpg

Soon enough we were motoring up to the north end of the lake where a small creek spills in.

Along the way we stopped and fished a few likely spots.

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-25.jpg

Finally we nosed our way up into the creek and managed a smattering of fish, smallies, walleye and pike:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-26.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-27.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-28.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-29.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-30.jpg

While the walleye fishing was surprisingly slow the smallmouth were on fire. :)

They were in 3-6' of water, and aggressive as all get out smashing most anything thrown their way:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-32.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-33.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-36.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-37.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-38.jpg

Lots-o-fun! Can't wait to get back there later this spring with my flyrod and some poppers!

After both catching numerous bass we nosed our way into another large back bay.

A more textbook spot you'll never see: The bay's entrance was a rocky, deep neckdown protecting the bay from the main lake.

In the back corner of the bay was another inflowing creek with 6-10' of water and newly emerging weeds.

The temperature was a good 2-3 degrees warmer in there.....just perfect!

We worked the bay thoroughly and very surprisingly drew a blank.

Jason was rigged up with a white 4" senko style bait which he had hand poured himself when we stopped to fish the rocky neckdown at the bay's entrance...

It's pretty obvious Jason has done this before, he just doesn't get flustered, period.

I had stood up in the back of the canoe to answer a call of nature, my back to Jason, when suddenly in mid stream he calmly says: "Uh, bad timing there bud. I think I've got a decent pike here".

Decent indeed. I zipped up and sat down to watch an amazing battle.

Primarily targeting bass he was using light spinning tackle, not really expecting any major surprises.

This fish went nuts, long blistering runs and I believe at least one sow-like wallow on the surface where she thrashed around wildly.

Jason's caught a lot of large pike and even he admitted it was his best fight ever.

It took a few attempts to grab the fish at boatside (not easy in a canoe), but I finally managed, quickly ferrying us over to a nearby rock to hop out for pic's and the release.

Here she is, what a fish!! :thumbsup_anim:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-1.jpg

43 awesome inches of esox fury! Not sure on the weight, but she was very fat, a respectable pike anywhere for sure.

Couple more shots including the release:

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-35.jpg

BackLakesmallies-pike-brooktrout-34.jpg

Big congrat's buddy you deserve it!

We worked the lake for a couple more hours and caught fish but it was all kind of anticlimactic after that...

We portaged out and motored back to the landing on a high, what a great day!

Jason's currently up in the Cochrane area for 12 days hunting more large esox, so I'm sure he'll have a few more tales to tell when he gets back.

I'll be back up at the camp soon enough, there's a couple more new back lakes that are calling me. :)

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Ah yes....the summer is upon us, and getting out to the camp is just what the dr. ordered!

Nice job on the Pike thats a beauty for sure.

To bad about the Brookies, but something tells me you'll get back there again with the canoe, and slay 'em later.

Cheers,

Wow, you really get out there in the middle of nowhere don't you!!!

Some really nice sized pike caught there.

Looks like you did it in style once again. Great report.

Joey