Freshwater Drum (Aka: Sheepshead)

rbaquial

Used to eat them when I was younger and they were just fine. Only reason I don't eat them now is because I just can't find any in this area. I always thought it was ling that was known as poor man's lobster. I'll eat them if I catch them too.

Jackfish(pike) is known as 'poor man's lobster' up here, same principal, boil up chunks of fish, serve with a dip.

I tried sucker from Lake Simcoe for the first in my life and was surprised how mild and "non fishiy" the fish tasted. Other than the fact that it is boney, it was an eye opener on how one has preconceived ideas on what is a "good" fish. Based on what I tasted, it was certainly better than any steelhead I've eaten. No muddy taste at all. If I get a small carp from a good body of water, I'll have to try it someday.

Sheephead is not that bad eating. The meat is dense like bass but not quite as tasty. You do get a little bit of the muddy taste but overall not bad. I would eat a sheephead before i eat a carp or a sucker.

Bass?...you eat Bass?

ewwwwwww

So, as a sportsman, I guess I'm going to have to convince the next minnow I use as bait to self impale itself on my hook. Anyone got a good book on how to become a fish whisperer?

Sometimes you guys make me laugh... sometimes you guys make me :wallbash:

HH

So, as a sportsman, I guess I'm going to have to convince the next minnow I use as bait to self impale itself on my hook. Anyone got a good book on how to become a fish whisperer?

Sometimes you guys make me laugh... sometimes you guys make me :wallbash:

HH

Just think of it as a piercing. Kids get them all the time now. Earrings, Lip rings, nipple rings, etc, just think of it as the minnow wanting to be stylish in the water... :D