Never buy your father-in-law stuff that needs to be installed!

irishfield

My f-in-law bought himself a 16' Keylargo last season to play out on the Sound in. I'd never seen it 'till last night. Not a bad little unit..

cvboat1.jpg

Couldn't think of anything for him for Christmas.. so stupid me bought him a Mag 10 Cannon Downrigger for it from North East Shark (thanks for the deal Darrell). Only issue with that is of course I get stuck installing it. I forgot all about it 'til the f-in-law shows up with the boat last night and says how come you haven't installed this yet ! :wallbash:

Noticed the trailer lights weren't working when he brought it over. Not surprising with the Dutch man... but figured I might as well have a look and sort that out for him now... cause it'll just be me later anyhow! Step one is always GROUND. Slap a set of booster cables on and usually the problems disappear. Nope.. gonna be a long day.

cvboat5.jpg

How many times can you splice the tongue wire??

cvboat2.jpg

Heck... #12 house wire and some marretts :w00t: Well why not.. I guess it works 'till those solid wires break from vibration and the marretts rott off.

cvboat3.jpg

Why you should use some chafe protection.. bare wires sparking in the frame.

cvboat4.jpg

What it should look like... just need to hook the white ground to the frame.

cvboat6.jpg

Now with that all done I can finally get onto what I was supposed to be doing. Swivel base didn't fit the gunnel area... so whip out the router... it's not my boat! :w00t:

cvboat7.jpg

Spot all ready to drill the holes. Two outer right thru the gunnel edge flange for bolts/washers/nuts and the inner two holes received well nuts/rivnuts/threadserts... which ever you wanna call them.

cvboat8.jpg

Drilled a hole thru his battery box area.. hooked that up (fused) and he's good to go.

cvboat9.jpg

Figured the day was toast at this point anyhow.. so I drained and refilled his lower unit and then proved a small household garbage can fits a 50 merc just fine. Started right up and peeeeee'd great.

cvboata.jpg

Now I can get it out of here and pray he has nothing else for me....

The middle large unit is a brand new Garmen map unit and it's speed sensor to the left.. the other on the right some old fishfinder. He thinks they work fine... I'm not asking any question! lol

Edited by irishfield

Tip for trailer lights ---for the price of a light kit, just replace everything when it looks like that.

My buddy with a garage says its cheaper for the customer to replace it than hunt down the problem.

Ya, but if it was installed right in the first place, with proper dedicated grounds to each light fixture, then you don't have that problem.

Tip for trailer lights ---for the price of a light kit, just replace everything when it looks like that.

My buddy with a garage says its cheaper for the customer to replace it than hunt down the problem.

Ah.. okay, he can do it his way ( I know what he's saying at $90/hr shop rate), but no reason to do so for the guy in his yard DIY. One tongue plug $5 and maybe 35 feet of (aircraft) wire... oh and 2 #194 bulbs for his side lights and it's as bright as it could be. And yes Fisherman.. each light has it's own ground strap bolted to the frame.. not slipped under the attach bolt like Easy Hauler in North Bay does...without scrapping the paint off under it I might add!

Edited by irishfield