Storing tackleboxes in garage??

nodie

Hey all,

Quick question for you guys.

Will storing tackle boxes in the garage cause humidity in the boxes, therefore rusting the hooks? Or is it better to keep them inside the house in a dry room?

Thanks

Nod

I think letting them dry 1st before storing them would be a good idea (keep the tackle box open for awhile to air-dry). I don't think putting them (even if they're dry) away in the garage would NOT do any damage. If there are any small signs of rust... you can get these little "strips" (not exactly sure what they contain) that are "Rust Inhibitors" (prevents rust) from BPS - I haven't seen them at LeBaron's or anywhere else...

Not to sure about the hooks but watch out for soft plastics, they might melt a little bit depending on how hot is get's in there during the summer.

Basement or a closet would be the safest area for your fishing tackle. And as Addikted2Fishin said air drying your lures is important.

A tackle box ful of lures and tackle can be a very sizable investment. Storing it in a garage is taking a bit of a risk. In southern Ontario the humidity can get very high and can cause tackle to rust and/or oxidize. If left open to "air out" then mice,insects and dust can be a problem. If the garage has any strong oil or gas or some other smell then the lures/ plastics can absorb some of these smells. The tackle may not be as effective afterwards in catching fish.

I store all my tackle inside the house in a cool dry part of the basement. After 50+ years of doing this I've never had a problem with any of my tackle. Lures still look good as new (minus a few bite marks)

muddler

I throw all mine, in a stack, in the corner of the hangar for the winter. Unheated.. subject to HUGE moisture changes because it's not insulated (there are days I can wash airplanes in the fall/winter with nothing but a rag!). Has been a none issue for rusted lures.

I think letting them dry 1st before storing them would be a good idea (keep the tackle box open for awhile to air-dry). I don't think putting them (even if they're dry) away in the garage would NOT do any damage. If there are any small signs of rust... you can get these little "strips" (not exactly sure what they contain) that are "Rust Inhibitors" (prevents rust) from BPS - I haven't seen them at LeBaron's or anywhere else...

If I'm not mistaken, those little strips are callled "Z-Rust" , I had one that looked like a little square of foam with some oil residue in it.

If I'm not mistaken, those little strips are callled "Z-Rust" , I had one that looked like a little square of foam with some oil residue in it.

Oh yeah? How did they work? I'm pretty curious myself....

Oh yeah? How did they work? I'm pretty curious myself....

Honestly, as long as I put my stuff back dry(sun/wind dried), with that little foam block, I had no rust in the tackle box. It expired a few years back, never thought of getting another, maybe not a bad idea considering the price of lures today. I wonder if that would work in yer underwear :lol:

Here's the link: http://www.4zerust.com/products.php?c=42&p=76

Edited by Fisherman

Remove all items from wife's Buffet / hutch store all lures in it until Fishing season re-opens... :stretcher::Gonefishing:

December27th035.jpg

She was out for the day and you got to drinking and did this to impress us didn't you. :o

I do not do anything special with all my lures. I keep them in Plano boxes in a dark closet.

But there is something that can be done to remove excess moisture if there is any - the same thing that the boat maintenance people did every year when they winterized my 32 foot cruiser.

They would get kitty litter and put out about 4 Tupperware containers filled with the kitty litter throughout the boat down below. I would supply the Tupperware containers that you buy at CTC - the ones that are 1/2 the size of the large container - filled up with about 4 inches of the kitty litter.

You can use this same concept using large Tupperware containers (or what ever) and place your lures inside. Just put in a box of the kitty litter before putting the cover on. A container of 32 square inches would be enough - this translates into 4 x 4 x 2 inches.

Make sure that you place all boxes where the chances are low of having someone kick the large Tupperware boxes. You do not want to have the litter come out of the small containers that are being used to hold the litter.

Oh, by the way, the kitty litter is very similar to the stuff that is bought at the marine store for this purpose but at a very high price - just like the cost of fishing.

Good luck.

carp-starter