Algonquin Backcountry ~ Report and Pic's

LOL.. probably why I have his camp coords.. cell phone number.. google earth map of the lake... :huh:

:D

Not exactly true. If you can make it up we're going to bushwhack into one of my secret back lakes...the old fashioned way.

:D

Not exactly true. If you can make it up we're going to bushwhack into one of my secret back lakes...the old fashioned way.

Okay Mike.. we'll do it the father and son way. You be the father.. I'll be the son. So based on how it works around this house... I'll have nothing to do but follow and enjoy after you've bushwacked the trail! :D

Okay Mike.. we'll do it the father and son way. You be the father.. I'll be the son. So based on how it works around this house... I'll have nothing to do but follow and enjoy after you've bushwacked the trail! :D

Sure no problem. :)

Fantastic Report Solo. Thanks for letting me know how much I Miss Algonquin Park. Cabin Reminds me of the one on Wenda. Incidentally, the Cabin had a Journal there, that was extremely interesting from all visitors that left a story. How was the Wolf Howling?

awesome report,

yes those are false morels and are poisonous if eaten raw, if you cook em up they are perfectly safe, those are the only type of morels we get around here and at the right time i easily pick a 5 gallon pail of them in about 15 minutes, we do this every year and i have yet to see anyone be even a little ill from them,

all books and websites i've read about them stated the same thing

Correct

I boiled them for an hour changing water twice and fried them after – delicious.

Absolutely wonderful report guys, a pleasure to read over with my morning coffee.

I'd say by the many positive reviews that everyone is in agreement. ;)

I did get a good chuckle out this statement from Mike, *still laughing*

It's not a bad thing Bill it just reminded me of myself. :D

Beyond that the only other wildlife was early morning pre-coffee Bill. Very scary.

Those look like pine morels to me. They are delicious. Soak them in some salted water for a bit to get any ants out. Fry in butter until the start to crackle, (after all the water cooks out).

Morels.............."there good", "they'll kill you", "people eat them all the time", "youd be dead by now if you ate them"......."beefsteak", "buckets full", "Rocket fuel".....

the Morel (wink wink) of this story....................dont take the word of an OFC'er to direct you what to eat and not to eat off of mother natures floor :thumbsup_anim:

Morels.............."there good", "they'll kill you", "people eat them all the time", "youd be dead by now if you ate them"......."beefsteak", "buckets full", "Rocket fuel".....

the Morel (wink wink) of this story....................dont take the word of an OFC'er to direct you what to eat and not to eat off of mother natures floor :thumbsup_anim:

Agreed. Ideal solution? Bring an OFC'er along to taste test the 'shrooms. :)

like the rest have said..awesome report and pics! I was without internet for the last 3 days thanks to Rogers..up and running again finally!

Bill if you are heading to gloucester soon and wouldnt mind company, drop me a line..

thanks

Rich

Fantabulous report Mike. Perhaps one of the greatest reports I’ve ever read on this forum. Fantastic photos too from both of you.

Still have yet to catch a brookie but your pictures are certainly an inspiration to get out and try for them (sans the 2km portage).

I hate you for taking this trip lol well not really more like envious would love to come for somethign like this but sdly my girth and advanced age would have me begging to eat some shrooms not for the food but for the out of body experience I would need after those walks lol

This is what real morels look like. Sometimes there are smaller false ones that look similiar, but the way I was shown was that a real morel has a hollow stem, where a false, possibly poisonous, morel has a solid stem.

Morels.jpg

but sdly my girth and advanced age would have me begging to eat some shrooms not for the food but for the out of body experience I would need after those walks lol

Advanced age? C'mon man I'm a few years older than you. LOL!

Listen, you're not a weakling, there's no doubt you could do it. It's 90% mental dude.

This is what real morels look like. Sometimes there are smaller false ones that look similiar, but the way I was shown was that a real morel has a hollow stem, where a false, possibly poisonous, morel has a solid stem.

Morels.jpg

Interesting. I can say for sure that stems on the mushrooms I picked were hollow so I guess they weren't false morels.

Perhaps Pine morels like someone mentioned?