Algonquin Backcountry ~ Report and Pic's

Mike, great report as always! Looks like you guys had some fun and that is how it goes with fishing, it is called fishing not catching :rolleyes: .

Glad that you have had a chance to test the new canoe quickly.

FLEX

Yes, those mushrooms are false morels and some folks eat them. They call them beefsteak mushrooms and most of them seem safe enough but every once in a while, you get one that has a chemical that's akin to rocket fuel in it. Not worth taking a chance in my book. Some folks eat them for years without a problem, but then they eat that deadly one......

Thanks Joey. We did see a couple moose along the highway. Beyond that the only other wildlife was early morning pre-coffee Bill. Very scary.

Maybe I had a case of the beaver fever :)

I think our next trip will be a little more memorable.

Maybe I had a case of the beaver fever :)

I think our next trip will be a little more memorable.

:lol:

More memorable? What'd you have in mind? Perhaps cliff jumping into a hidden back lake in the Mealy mountains of Labrador?

We'll figure something out.

awesome report,

yes those are false morels and are poisonous if eaten raw, if you cook em up they are perfectly safe, those are the only type of morels we get around here and at the right time i easily pick a 5 gallon pail of them in about 15 minutes, we do this every year and i have yet to see anyone be even a little ill from them,

all books and websites i've read about them stated the same thing

Superb Mike and Bill.

The new canoe is a beauty and some of the shots with it are really smokin. Gotta love that set-up with the 2hp for blazing across those monster lakes.

Yes, you say ya missed out on some of the fish you envisioned, but I don't think anyone could ever ask for a better way to spend a few days. Consider yourselves Kings for what you've just ruled... and onward to the next land.

That was a real treat Mike.. Awesome. I'm sure those seats would have been like the lazy boys if the fishing would have been better. Eh Bill?!

Canoeing has always been my kind of method of transportation.. To go back to a simpler time when this was the way to go would be amazing. Imagine a world without jet skies!

You guys lucked out on the weather though lemme tell ya. Last year it was rain, snow and hail, at the end of May!!

cheers

HF

You know comments like "it's not always about the fish" and "at least the scenery was great" is true......

But it's akin to saying "well at least she's got a great personality!" LOL!

Very satisfying in it's own way but there's just something missing. :)

(And yeah you'd better start training asap. If you ever actually carry that pig on your back I'll give you a medal. :P )

LMAO - too true...those are just the ways that we attempt to justify those bad days on the water. Still, being in Algonquin is never a bad thing.

Looking forward to being on board for next year when we really find them!

Yes, those mushrooms are false morels and some folks eat them. They call them beefsteak mushrooms and most of them seem safe enough but every once in a while, you get one that has a chemical that's akin to rocket fuel in it. Not worth taking a chance in my book. Some folks eat them for years without a problem, but then they eat that deadly one......

The beefsteak fungus ( Fistulina hepatica ), is entirely unrelated to false morels ( Gyromitra spp.). You can eat False morels if cooked well (boiling twice discarding the water each time is recommended) but I think I'll just stick to the more palatable species. The active toxin in false morels is gyromitrin, which is metabolized by the body to form monomethylhydrazine -- a rocket fuel. That was actually a bonus question on a mycology test I wrote this year!

Been waiting for this one. Fantastic report! Just seeing those images definitely stirred up some memories for me. I can't wait to get back there myself, hopefully this summer.

It looks like you guys had a great trip even if the fishing didn't turn out as you had probably hoped. I'm sure the pristine surroundings made up for it.

Thanks!

OK couple of technical questions now that I have had some time to review the text and photos in more detail.

Solo did you use a bolt on transom for the 2 horse or did you strap it right over the gunwale. Also did you run it aft of the stern seat. Just wondering. I always wondered if you could strap it right to the gunwale whether you could run it spun round in front of you. In my prospector I always got a sore arm running it from behind.

Also on the mushrooms which ones were in the picture, false morels or beefsteak.

Carry on.

Excellent report as usual Mike makes me want to get my a s s back into shape and go on a canoe trip myself.

I guess you don't miss the old pellican canoe.

I guess I need to get rid of my fiberglass canoe if I want to attempt an aventure like that.

:clapping:

OK couple of technical questions now that I have had some time to review the text and photos in more detail.

Solo did you use a bolt on transom for the 2 horse or did you strap it right over the gunwale. Also did you run it aft of the stern seat. Just wondering. I always wondered if you could strap it right to the gunwale whether you could run it spun round in front of you. In my prospector I always got a sore arm running it from behind.

Also on the mushrooms which ones were in the picture, false morels or beefsteak.

Carry on.

It's impossible to strap a motor directly to the side of the canoe and spin it around. Unless it's got a really long shaft your going to knick the boat with the prop.

As mentioned I used a side bracket. It was bolted on directly aft of the stern seat.

They work great the only thing being you've got to pack your boat properly as far as weight distribution goes.

With an evenly balanced load and the heavy motor hanging off the side it can be somewhat unbalanced and tippy.

You've got to compensate for the motor....

Not sure about the mushrooms which was why I asked, but the concensus seems to be false morels.

Edited by solopaddler

Excellent report as usual Mike makes me want to get my a s s back into shape and go on a canoe trip myself.

I guess you don't miss the old pellican canoe.

I guess I need to get rid of my fiberglass canoe if I want to attempt an aventure like that.

:clapping:

Thanks bud. Actually I am missing the old squareback pellican my uncle had (good memory :) ).

It was very stable, just heavy. I'd love to stash it on one of the back lakes up near my camp.

And you don't have to get rid of your fibreglass canoe. You can rent an ultralight kevlar for 30 bucks a day. (that's what most people do)

Wicked Report Bud!

Glad to see you had a good time, and got into a few fish as well....nothing like Specks fresh in the pan eh?

As you know I was in the area, and boy you ain't kidding about the waves Sunday LOL!

No Motor for us we paddled her out, and I got drenched!

My canoes only 14' and rides low so I took 3 solid caps over the side...truth be told it was a bit refreshing after the paddling LOL!

Wicked Report Bud!

Glad to see you had a good time, and got into a few fish as well....nothing like Specks fresh in the pan eh?

As you know I was in the area, and boy you ain't kidding about the waves Sunday LOL!

No Motor for us we paddled her out, and I got drenched!

My canoes only 14' and rides low so I took 3 solid caps over the side...truth be told it was a bit refreshing after the paddling LOL!

Glad to hear you made it out alive! :thumbsup_anim:

(Looking forward to hearing about your trip as well. A few more fish I'm sure. :))