A Comedy of Errors - A rough day of steelheading

MJL

Left the house at 6:30am…Pulled out of the driveway and got to the end of the street…Did a u-turn back home to see if I remembered to close the garage door…The garage door was closed but have you ever had a feeling that your mojo was running close to empty? I sure did…

Hit up one trib this morning for a couple of hours. From the start I was plagued by a massive run of 6-10 inch salmon smolts heading down to the lake. It didn’t matter which pool, run or riffle you drifted in - They were there. It also didn’t matter if your bait happened to be an 8 inch pink worm as thick as a pencil – They took it. I landed 2 small bows in between the whack of mini salmon.

First bow of the day which fell to an 8 inch pinky. For size comparison, the reel in the pic is 4 inches in diameter…She was 1 greedy bugger.LOL

P1030307c.jpg

Decided to check out another river to see if I could escape the voracious salmon smolts. Hopped into the car and off I went. Got to the parking lot at trib #2, popped open the trunk to get my stuff…Closed the trunk. Hopped into the car to head back to trib #1 to get my net which I left leaning against a tree at one pool.

Picked up my net at trib #1 and went back to trib #2. 2nd drift in with a white rubber worm and presto, Fish On! Fought a large chrome hen for about 2 minutes and then the hook popped out…Crap! Drift #3 yields the same result of a big chrome fish spitting the hook after a short fight. Spent 3 hours fishing and banked 2 small bows and a bucket-load worth of smolts.

In the afternoon I hit up river #3. Water was low and clear. Seems most of the fish were flushed further downstream from the rain we had during the week – That’s OK, I’d definitely settle for a brown or a brookie which also inhabit that particular stretch of river. It’s also quite scenic too and the trilliums (I think) were in full bloom.

P1030311.jpg

Are these fiddleheads?

P1030314.jpg

I walked 2.5km down the river to see if I could tempt at least 1 more fish before I left for home. Found some deeper pocket water and first drift in, FISH ON! It turned out to be a jumbo creek chub that smashed my fly - A beadhead mylar shell-back nymph (Don’t know the official name for the fly but that’s what I call it). On 34 drifts, I managed 34 creek chubs – A new personal record :thumbsup_anim:

The magic fly

P1030316.jpg

The 35th drift yielded a quite different result. Float goes down in the same spot it always had before and I set the hook into something very solid…Snag?...Feels like it…It’s moving! A beast of a steelhead took the fly and for 6 minutes it leaps, bull-dogs and tail-walks across the surface. It starts going down river and I follow it…

Wait for it…

INTO THE RIVER! I slipped on an algae covered rock only to find myself on my ass with water slowly seeping into top of my waders. Soaking wet, I reel the fish in, bend down and tail the beast…Doing so, I hear a “kerplunk” & "Splash"…Yup, my cell phone and a spool of Drennan fluoro fell out of my jacket and made their way down to the bottom of the river – Got both back in the end.

Snapped a quick picture of the beast before it swam off

P1030308c.jpg

I spent the rest of the afternoon drying off and basking in the sun. Semi-nude, I managed 2 more bows (approx 5 & 7lbs) – I didn’t take pics of these…This is a family site. To put things in perspective, GCD wears more clothes in his reports than what I had on :D

On the way back to the car along the path, I ran into fellow OFNer, Jet and chatted with him and the 2 lady anglers that accompanied him – You lucky dog you.LOL Andrew, It was great meeting you.

Finally got back to the car and made my way home…Stopped at a red-light, I see a sign for cheap High-speed Internet…Being the nerd that I am (addicted to the daily Jumble), I try finding words that can be spelled using the letters found in “INTERNET”…There’s “In”, “Tern”, “Teen”, “Rent”, “net”… “NET!!!”

10 minutes away from the river, I pulled over to the side of the road, popped the trunk open and you guessed it…No net. Drove back to the river, walked 2.5km through the bush to get it and walked 2.5km back to the car.

Tired as ever. Cell phone is drying out (hopefully it will still work). Waders + wading jacket + fleece jacket are drying out…I need a drink

Hope you enjoyed

Edited by MJL

LOL o man your to funny nice fish bud. Might head out this week with Berge (not sure got the girl tugging on me to spend time) if we head out ill give you a call. Now I remember why I stayed single from September to now lol what did I get myself into.

lol hilarious post & nice fishies. thanks for sharing!

On a side note, I've done similar things... dunked a camera (twice... still works)... backed over a rod that I'd forgotten was leaning on the back of my dad's van... locked keys in the trunk (in an older car with no trunk popper) ... put my bait on top of the car & drove away...

ummm.... I think I'll stop now!

p.-

Thanks guys for the comments

mike, where were you when we got there...Jet told me you were on your way back but I never saw you..haha

We were waiting for you guys for ages on the path...Not sure what path you took down river...Were you even at the right river? LOL

Edited by MJL

once again this has proved that you do way better when I'm not there.... lol...

Now I remember why I stayed single from September to now lol what did I get myself into.

Nice silvio, now you can save some steelhead for me.

Yup!... Great report and pics!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

We all have those kinda days, you were just paying dues for that killer fish you landed... some are more expensive than others! ;)

So how'd you like your "fishin' nekkid" experience?... pretty cool eh!!! :thumbsup_anim:

The fig trees are coming out in my backyard and I'll soon have my new summer wardrobe! B)

... you may want to consider painting your net handle fluorescent orange! :w00t:

Edited by GCD