Fishing Line

dobber1978

Tried them all.

1 - Tuff line - pros - no memory, no strech, cheaper than the rest. Cons - Does not run through the guides smoothly, sticky feeling on line.

2 - Power pro - same as Tuff line (same maker)

3 - Stren- Pros- Greatest braid I used, no mem, no strech, VERY, VERY SMOOTH trough guides. Cons - pricey.

4 - Spidy wire - Pros, no mem, no strech. Cons - not at all smooth.

5 - Fireline - Pros - It's not a braid, smooth, little strech, no memory at all. Cons - Very brittle, more of a mono cut point (teeth), pricey, If using light line and you crimp a split shot, it might break on fist fish. (happend to me on 2 casts).

6 - Rapala Briad - Pros - very nice line Cons - never tried it.

My favorite is Stren

braids (superlines) and mono both have a time and a place. One thing I always do is use a mono or flouorcarbon leader on my braids, esp when jigging walleye. All my casting setups have braid and I've been a fan of PowerPro. It's really a personal preference and a confidence thing. Some guys don't like the braid because they think if you have improved feel, so do the fish. I must admit that if I feel the fish are in a negative feeding move I won't use a braided line.

Do some experimenting and see how it works for you. Good luck.

I decided to try fireline for the first time last year, mixed feelings about it. I liked the fact that I could use a smaller dia. and get some extra strength over the mono I had been using but I did find that if you got any kind of a tangle in it you almost always had to cut it out.

I almost always fish walleye and I did find that some days the mono seemed to produce better and other days the fireline produced better but I haven't had enough experience with it to say for sure that one is better than the other.

I think I'll keep a couple of rods spooled with each until I have had a chance to evaluate them better.

I've been using braided lines for years.

For bass, I had used Spider Wire, but must have gotten into a bad batch, as I could easily break 14# just tying the knot. I think it was a bad batch (or an old spool at the store). I never had that problem before and it was a brand new spool. I switched over to Stren Superbraid last year at 14# and really like it.

For musky, I read that a number of folks were using 80# Power Pro and have been using that the last few years. I use an open-faced spinning real and had a problem with the line knotting up on me. A few tips from the folks on here that have pretty well solved my problem.

Used quite a few of the different braids too, and always with a leader of floro. I guess its kind of a confidence thing, but now every rod I have is spooled with straight florocarbon or a floro / mono copolymer (namely P-Line). I seem to get more bites (confidence thing again) and the newer "super-mono's" really seem to have improved in the last few years, no doubt in response to the popularity of braids. The low stretch and low memory can be good on them as well.

I like the P-Line with the mono core and floro outer wrap, it is next to invisible which sometimes allows you to step up in lb. test without increasing visibility. Good luck either way.

Hookset.

Thanks guys, quite the responce,

Sounds like it's really something I just have to try out, not sure if I should spool my good rod with the braid or spool it on my old rod, hmmm, maybe it's time for a new rod and reel, lets see what the tax man brings me.

Now what is the floro carbon?? is this better then mono, advantages, dis-advantages to it?? Again never used this stuff.

Fluoro is also stiffer and somewhat less castable than mono in the same diameter. Like everything else, has its time and place.

Braidwise, I use powerpro when throwing frogs and other such presentations where the visibility of the braid hopefully won't stop fish from hitting. Don't much fancy casting with leaders of any sort, so usually end up using straight mono or copoly for everything else.

Well I started out using the good old black boat rope and when my Dad thought I was ready he switched me to Stren.

As I got older i continued to use Stren, I have fished all kinds of fish in southern and northern ontario and some smaller saltwater speices on the east coast with my own gear. Of the amount of fish I have lost due to line break over the years I can probably count on 1 hand.

As I hit my adult years and got sucked into the hype I switched to Braids starting with Gorrilla Braid and a gambet of others after a whole lot of years of that I have to say iI dont really like braids. Sure you can rip boards of a house with it and maybe you can feel a fish lick your bait

But I can garuntee you fish for fish day for day standing beside you I will get as many fish as you to the boat with mono

So in the last 2 years I have gone off braid and back to mono I like it im comfortable with it and it works If I were to have a pref it would be Berkely

I still might use are reel spooled with braid for muskie only because in the test I want mono would be like boat rope

Just my 2 cents :blahblah1:

Peter

for walleye you cant beat ,fireline and for bottom bouncing its powerpro...the list goes on and on just read all the above posts and that will let you know everyone has there own uses for those lines i love them ...and always wondered why i waited so long to start using those special lines cheers

I only use braid on my dipsey rod, for everything else, I use mono that I buy in bulk. (I don't yet fish /target musky) I truly believe that the stretch characteristics of mono have helped my retain more hooked fish, than if I was running no stretch/braid. Mono has the "give" that you need when fishing big fish and your not going to be rippin the hooks outta the fishes mouth when ever they head shake or make a run. That being said, my dipsey road is spooled with Power Pro

HH