Nippissing Report

joonmoon

Hey guys/gals finally we get out for some of the hardwater action. Headed up to Chilly Willys for the weekend to fish the South Bay area. We were pleasantly surprized when we arrived, the fish were on. We had a few good bites right off the hop, but missed em. Then jigging a buckshot and minnow I picked up a nice eye in the slot so he was promptly released.

100_1460.jpg

The local railway workin guys were out at their shack close to us and had found a pattern for decent eyes, they were cookin em as quik as they were catchin em. But the bite slowed for us.

The next day after breakfast the bite started again. My wife got serious with this 38" and decided its time to show everyone how to land a pike.

100_1461.jpg

Then the bite was gone for the majority of the day til later in the afternoon when I iced this little guy.

100_1469.jpg

In total we didn't have numbers but we did get some fish. A few perch and the one eye, and a couple of pike. Overall the accomodations were great and the company was as good.

100_1464.jpg

100_1463.jpg

We were both sick this weekend and thought some fresh northern air might help. She battling a head and chest cold and I fighting the flu. We would recommend http://www.chillywillys.ca/ to anyone, the heated jonny was a nice addition to our ice weekend. B)

That fish hit a small panfish sized jig/live minnow. The rod was in a wire holder and I just happened to see it twitch out of the corner of my eye, as I picked it up and felt the weight of a fish I handed it to her and she thumped em and the 10 min battle on 6lb test began. Having to shove the rod down into the hole several times and the reel just a screamin. The owner of Chilly Willy's was there and he reached down the hole on a second attempt to land it and came up with it. It sure made the trip a beauty. Too bad the weather really sucked on the way home. It took us 4 hours to get to Orillia and then once we hit Barrie clear skies. Kitchener looked the same as Gravenhurst when we pulled into town.

wow amazing ! me and a couple buddies were also staying in a bungalow in the south shore area over the weekend.... the bite was SLOWWWWW .. but we managed 5 walleye all under the slot 12-15 inches and some dinky perch...

a couple bungalows over landed a 14 lb pike on sat also ...good to see the big boyz around

Joon Moon, I guestimate that Pike to be 17.5 lbs. Nice one!

I also like the size of the windows on the ice shanty. That is rare. Most have tiny little windows near the ceiling.

Good to hear cars and truck on the ice, but like you said, ifn ya don't have experience drivin on the lake, you'll get stuck.

An ol friend of mine prctically lived on the ice, and he drove an old 2 wheel drive pick-up truck, and went places on the lake where people got stuck in their new 4x4s.

You gotta know when to speed up

Know when ta slow down

(Sung to the tune "The gambler" by Kenny Rogers).