Who's Looking forward to Steelhead Opener?

tibbs

I WAS excited to go - until my father-in-law invited me to go fishing @ Rice Lake.... so, I won't be going anymore for trout opener!

It would've been my 1st time too!! :(

EDIT: I guess 'bonding' with the future father-in-law isn't a BAD thing...hahaha

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

Opener day I HATE, but anytime after the monday following opener is what I am waiting for. I hate fishing when the river is a zoo. I have no problem sharing the river with others but sharing it with thousands of others is not my cup of tea.

I always look forward to the opener. For my dad and I, it’s an annual tradition. During the week before the opener, I go through the same rituals of tying flies and jigs (even though I really don’t need more), repairing or building new rods, re-spooling line, sharpening the hooks on my spinners and deodorizing my lucky socks.

Yeah it’s shoulder to shoulder a lot of the time but many times, we end up fishing spots that 95% of the people fortunately walk past or we’re fishing beside friends we’ve made over the years and only see once a year on that day.

gonna be my 2nd year fishing it and my first with a pin ... can't wait!

Technically speaking, it's going to be your first true season opener...Last year we went the day after :lol: ...Try to remember the crowds that were there that day and multiply it by 4.

I gotta secret spot, and Im dropin an egg suckin leach fly right bang in the middle of er. I love fly fishing in the opener, however, stealth and keen observation are keys to success.

It is always good to respect others and their space, and do your best to not spook the fish for others by walking along the banks stomping your feet and peering over the banks at fish casting huge shadows, trudging downstream through the water like a water buffalo, and last but not least, letting your dogs jump in the water where everyone is fishing, even 30 meters away that spot will be killed for at least an hour.

Let us seasoned fisherman/woman set a great example this opener, lets show them all how its done. Monkey see monkey do.

Good Luck To Everyone!

I love the steelhead opener. I get to put the boat in the water and fish lakers with no-one around but the birds. I'll hit a local stream sometime during the week for a fish when I've got an hour to kill. Trout opener used to have a much bigger spot on my calender. These days...meh. Lack of etiquette, garbage and tomfoolery have left me with a sour attitude. Used to be streamside at midnight, camp out, yadda-yadda. Now I feel like theres better things to look forward to.