Here she is !

Lunker777

Hey everyone...

Well yesterday, I went out and had a look with a buddy of mine at the 16ft steel hull I've been thinking about. It was the first time Ive had a good look at it and the boat seems to be in REALLY good shape. The trailer is REALLY nice as well. The guy wasn't home when w went to have a look. So we couldn't start it or anything. I popped the cover off the engine and other than it looking pretty dirty.. oils and what not... she looked good. Now I don't know if that is a bad sign.. the oil and what not in there... but I took some pics to show it as best I could.

march28th031.jpg

march28th022.jpg

march28th024.jpg

march28th030.jpg

march28th035.jpg

Like I said... the engine is a little dirty and the I will have to replace the prop at some point... its getting pretty wore out. Could anyone tell me any specifics on this particular Merc. ? Age ? Known weak spots ? Thanks !

march28th036.jpg

march28th025.jpg

march28th026.jpg

march28th027.jpg

march28th028.jpg

march28th029.jpg

I plan to offer the guy $1500 for the package AS IS ! After I do a quick compression test .

Opinions welcomed !!!!

Make sure this is the one for you. There are lots of boats around for $1500. I would give the motor a good look over and a good run on the lake.

Good luck.

I know there is lots around for $1500... but most of them are 14'.... and I have noticed the quality of trailer that you usually get for $1500 is not the greatest and when i say not the greatest... I mean complete CRAP haha :unsure::dunno: :dunno:

That might be a great trailer...but is it long enough for that boat?

There seems to be lotsa overhang at the back. That can be murder on the transom when trailering and the motor gets bouncing a bit. Can the winch mast be moved forward? You really wanna get some support under that transom.

The motor seems a little too dirty under the cover for my liking.

That might be a great trailer...but is it long enough for that boat?

There seems to be lotsa overhang at the back. That can be murder on the transom when trailering and the motor gets bouncing a bit. Can the winch mast be moved forward? You really wanna get some support under that transom.

The motor seems a little too dirty under the cover for my liking.

I wonder if that motor has been underwater. I have a 1970s Chrysler and when I take the cowling off it is clean as a whistle. There should not be those water stains and that mch rust under there for a 1987 ish motor.

Motor looks to be 1980's. Mercs go by serial number for ordering parts not year. If you have the serial number you can get the year. Looks pretty normal under the hood. Appears to have new plugs so the fella may be up on his maintenance. A compression test will tell a lot. See it start and run. If he starts it without the motor in water or on muffs walk away.

Alot of oxidation on the motor. I would also suspect this motor was sunk. If the outside of the motor wasn't taken care of better , i could only imagine what the internal parts hold for you. If it was me, I think I would walk away from this one. I also notice it's going to need a new prop with that chunk missing from it.

That boat/motor has been pounded through the marsh dude. I'm not kidding.

I run a duck boat, and I know just how much crap they go through. My engine is 100X cleaner than that thing........and you can tell the prop has been run thru sand bigtime. I'm assuming this guy ran this boat in Lake Erie or Lake St. Clair?? Just guessing here......the prop is just shining......I wonder how much sand has run through the impellor??? I'd want to take that for a good long test ride before I pulled the trigger.

Looks a little sketchy to me. I'd get the bottom end pressure tested. If he's been running that prop for too long, and pounding it through the sand, I'd bet the prop seals are leaky, and there's prolly water in that lower unit. He may have changed it, so it looks like new right now, but if you run it for a while, it will have water......I'll almost guarantee it.

I don't know how it got so dirty inside the cowling either. Should be pretty clean in there. Looks like a lot of sand or some thing in there??

Buyer beware.

Sinker

I'd personally have more than a compression test done on the motor. I think the trailer is to short and you don't want to have to deal with transom effects down the road. The props not that much of an issue but I'd have him take you out for a ride in it first for sure. I'd offer you one of my spare props to test it but I'm running a 115 Merc. There are a lot of things that could be wrong and that would tell you a lot as well as having the motor and transom checked by a local marina or shop.

Just my two cents B)

Edited by smokin joe

Aside from the photos that make the motor look like a flock of pigeons nested in there, and, the prop looks like it was used for splitting granite, have you really ever taken a Titanic out on the water? Unless those bench seats are loaded with foam,(and even then), those boats have the floatability of a brick. Maybe good for bouncing off Georgian Bay rockpiles in calm waters, but one good wave over the side and...

Like Sinker said, that motor has been pounded, no paint on the prop or skeg, maybe all that sand went up throughh the water pump, hmmm, good for polishing the water passages and impeller housing.

Edited by Fisherman

Boat's on the trailer that way so he can lift the tongue! I use a fork truck to lift my steel boat ! (and you're not going to hurt the bottom or transom on this one!)

Motor.. as many have said has seen some rough conditions, but that said the old 9.8 Merc (about the same vintage) I have in the boat house was a rental, looks worse than that one, cowling sits crooked, engine filthy.. RUNS LIKE A TOP.

WATER TEST long before a dime changes hands.

Edited by irishfield

I would buy it but not for 1500,it looks like a Goudrey/ Goudro ??? forget how they spell there name built boat,they have the nicest design, id take a close look at the bottom bow area where the paints all flaked for starters,if thats good and the motor starts and idles fine on its own id make him an offer,either way post back and let us know your decision

If the motor runs good on the water and there are no leaks, you have a nice deep hull boat there. I know running a prop with chips can warp the rod and eventually wreck the performance but lets face it, this isnt a 20 thousand dollar boat. I dont know what everyone is talking about (so many great deals on boats out there) because when I was shopping most of the deals were 14 and 12 ft aluminum's for $1500 and there just were`nt that many. The motor I have has had chips in the prop for 10 years and the motor inside looks similar and I never dropped the thing in the water, but I have dropped it, thats probably what the bungy cord is all about. Boatman seems knowledgeable, I would hear what he has to say.

PS: I like the deep hull, gotta have it for the big walleye chop.

haha Now Im VERY torn on this boat. Some say its ok, some say to walk away....

Should I offer a REALLY low price... see what he says, take it or leave it ?

Or should I just save the hassel, and keep looking. Although... for $1500 even.... there really isnt much in the way of quality out there ?

He is putting the boat in an auction this saturday he said.... maybe I should wait for that ! haha might get it cheaper then I thought.

haha Now Im VERY torn on this boat. Some say its ok, some say to walk away....

Should I offer a REALLY low price... see what he says, take it or leave it ?

Or should I just save the hassel, and keep looking. Although... for $1500 even.... there really isnt much in the way of quality out there ?

He is putting the boat in an auction this saturday he said.... maybe I should wait for that ! haha might get it cheaper then I thought.

well heres my take on it again lol,your either gonna come away smiling or crying ,could be a great package or could be a headache,I would offer him 1200 only if he throws in the bungee cord that holds the cab down ,it was an option that yr hahah,but thats my offer 600 for the boat 600 for the trailer that merc in its state aint worth much in my book

Just to let you know what is out there. 2 years ago I got a mid 90's 16 foot deep V aluminum Sprigbok with a '99 25HP merc with a new aluminum steering console put in a year before. The motor ran like a top and the boat doesn't leak a drop, haha that rhymes... Anyway, I got it for $1200 bucks, no trailer but I had one so it wasn't a problem. So if you are patient there are deals to be had and correct me if I'm wrong, you just got a 12 and 9.9 for free right?? I'd use that and watch the classifieds on craigslist, simcoe shopper, kijiji.... Watch them every chance you get because good deals won't last. Good luck with the search.