passports

outllaw

Morning George I can say that I am one that does not have one yet.

I might have to get it for work with crossing the boarder daily but they can not give me a answer for sure its sad when I ask the customs officers if my FAST card is good enough and they dont know the answer.

after hearing mr harper state 75 per-cent of canada has passports. are you one of them. im curious as most i know have not, gotten them

my whole family has one. The last one was a sister who got it just a few years ago. It all depends on if you ask people who fly often or not. Anybody who flies to the US regularly likely applied for theirs a few years ago when they first announced that passports would be required for all flights and crossboarder travel. They later changed that to exclude land crossing and now i don't know exactly where it stands because it's been changed a few times.

Morning George I can say that I am one that does not have one yet.

I might have to get it for work with crossing the boarder daily but they can not give me a answer for sure its sad when I ask the customs officers if my FAST card is good enough and they dont know the answer.

My whole family (including my 2 year old daughter) has theirs. It's MUCH easier to get it done nowadays. Anybody who's had a passport for 5 years I believe can vouch for you and sign your forms. We ordered my wife's on a monday and had it by the end of the week. It's probably less effort to just get them than to deal with the customs officers every time. Makes crossing the border a sinch - and if you ever want to go on a trip in whim, you're good to go.

cheers,

UF

Finding a suitable guarantor was the problem for most people since it was such a short list of qualifications and it couldn't be somebody paid to do it so a notary public woudln't work. The renewal process that came out about a year ago is definitely better. It's basically 2 new pictures and a short application where it was essentially the full application before. the simple renewal still charges full fees, of course. We're still getting burned compared to US citizens since their passports are good for 10 years and cost about the same as our 5yr passport. talk about a cash grab..

My whole family (including my 2 year old daughter) has theirs. It's MUCH easier to get it done nowadays. Anybody who's had a passport for 5 years I believe can vouch for you and sign your forms. We ordered my wife's on a monday and had it by the end of the week. It's probably less effort to just get them than to deal with the customs officers every time. Makes crossing the border a sinch - and if you ever want to go on a trip in whim, you're good to go.

cheers,

UF

There is a BIG push here in the Buffalo area to get either a passport or Enhanced Drivers License which is what I got. But just yesterday on the NATIONAL news here that comes on after the local news at 6:30pm said passport applications are DOWN about 20% because of the economy. Go Figure.......

i got mine a month or to back, but i have no desire to go down in the states, i live on a border town and i refuse to go unless i absolutly have to like for work or picking up a package, its a whole other world other there as soon as you cross over that line, i would care less if they cut us off from going over there for good.

Guest skeeter99

why bother with the passport unless u are flying to the u.s or going to a carribean country that needs it?

if you are driving all you need is the new drivers license, they actually look dorky and kind of counterfeit IMO

never had a issue at the border tell them were u been/going/how long/receipts in hand thanks for coming

my wife actually took my daughter to erie pensylvannia to splash lagoon waterpark, I printed out my own travel letter giving my wife permission to travel with her and the border guard said that is good!!

but on website it says needs to be notorized?

Edited by skeeter99

Got the entire family setup last year. I had one in the past, but never renewed it. It's alot easier now that any passport holder can be your guarantor. I think that everyone should have one, for tose last minute trips.

nomad, sorry to say you might be right, vacations are now being called staycations or naycations. Different perspective on the passport thing, in the winter you have to leave your country to find some heat, we just go a few states south.

Just me but I never needed a passport the only time I ever left this country was to visit yours. No need or desire to go anywhere else.

The whole passport idea to enter the US is a bunch of crap, and actually you really need a passport to "return" home. Not saying you will get into the States without one, but that is the principle.

As far as I'm concerned I don't need one. I will just keep my funny coloured money here at home in Canada. I'm not going to invest 200 bucks for passports for my wife and I just for day trips or the occasional southern vacation...they don't want my money I'll keep it at home. At least that is my current opinion, that could change on a below zero blustery winter day next January or February.

And to think I once had a US green card!

I've had a passport since the early 80s because work involved international travel. Although retired, I still renew my passport every 5 years - facilitates crossing the US/Canada border both ways. And as already stated, the renewal process now takes less than 10 days.