Doesn't Look Good

Fishnwire

I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I probably will because I've seen examples of this here on these boards.

Anyway, doesn't anyone else feel that having a picture of yourself holding up two trophy sized smallmouths is a really bad look? Unless your standing at the weigh-in table of a live-release tournament, the fact that you are holding two fish at the same time is evidence that you slaughtered not one, but two prime breeding adults...and why? Do you really need to harvest that much fish in one day? You're in all likelyhood not planning on having both specimens mounted, so why keep both? A picture of an angler holding up a single fish on shore or in his boat doesn't scream out the fact that the guy is a fish-hog...holding up two does.

Smallmouth bass over 18 inches rarely make good table fare...and the law of averages tells us we'll almost certainly put a couple a decent eaters in the boat in the time it takes us to land two trophies...I just don't get it.

While I'm at it, pictures of guys holding up (obviously) dead fish in their driveways, kitchens or garages also leaves me decidedly unimpressed...but that's just me.

I know that I've had some great double header photographs when 2 nice fish were caught at the same time and both released.

Also, guys use live wells (although not allowed on my lake, Lac Seul) to save a nice fish or 2 until they catch another for a photo op.

You're right about one thing though, this post will generate some debate.

Where do I start?

By "double-header" you must mean you and your partner catching a fish at the same time, because there is no realistic, legal situation in which a single angler could land two trophy-sized smallies at the same time. I've never felt the need to take a picture of me with a fish someone else caught...and I still wouldn't even if my partner caught his at the same time I caught mine. Holding up a fish in a photo generally indicates something along the lines of, "Hey check it out, I caught this!" Why would you hold up someone else's fish for a photo?

I'm aware that livewells exist...just as I'm sure we're all aware that keeping fish in a livewell stresses them and (generally speaking) the longer fish are kept there, the more the survival rate goes down. Keeping a healthy fish (which you don't plan on harvesting) in a livewell for any real length of time, just so you can get a picture with both hands full, is cruel and unnecessary.

Does this make me look bad? :D

n502461579_1589399_8134.jpg

One was in the LIVEWELL for a short while (much shorter than tournament fish) and when I got the bigger one we took a quick shot of them and let them both go - They're out there waiting for you right now!

As mentioned above, there's plenty of ways that people can take photos of two bass while releasing them both for another day...

THIS however, is not a good example of how to take multiple bass photos! lol

Fish.jpg

Fact of the matter is, although I don't condone keeping multiple trophy bass to take home, if people do it within the regulations there's not a darn thing anybody can do about it.

Cheers,

UF

This is one oughta get good! I'm guessing you don't have a live well in your boat. I too don't agree with the harvest of trophy bass, but the regs are the regs and I like to believe they're there for a reason and proper management is one of them!

Where do I start?

By "double-header" you must mean you and your partner catching a fish at the same time, because there is no realistic, legal situation in which a single angler could land two trophy-sized smallies at the same time. I've never felt the need to take a picture of me with a fish someone else caught...and I still wouldn't even if my partner caught his at the same time I caught mine. Holding up a fish in a photo generally indicates something along the lines of, "Hey check it out, I caught this!" Why would you hold up someone else's fish for a photo?

Different strokes for different folks bud.

Sounds like you need to get out fishing to me. As long as nobody is breaking the law, your opinion is just that. An opinion.

Good post Urban.

I personally like the double fisted pictures. Most of the guys that show these pics probably did not kill the fish. They like to keep their 2 or 3 best fish throughout the day in a livewell for pictures at the end of the day. Not only do they show that they can catch a hog of a fish, but they show that they can catch more than one. I think that anybody can fluke into a trophy fish from time to time, but can they catch mutiple trophy fish throughout a days fishing. Thats what takes skill. However, I do agree that the backyard, garage and kitchen sink pictures dont look very appealing. Just my 2 cents

Mike

i don't like keeping fish (that you plan to release) in the livewell either. I'm sure it stresses the fish.....they may swim away later, but i'm sure many don't survive.

That said, i don't think anyone who does this is a bad guy...its within the rules.

Different strokes for different folks bud.

Sounds like you need to get out fishing to me. As long as nobody is breaking the law, your opinion is just that. An opinion.

Good post Urban.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Fishnwire - I can respect that you are taking a conservationistic (probably not a real word) stance on this one but to be honest you're targeting the wrong people. If the ministry changed the regs to prohibit multiple fish above a stated size than it would be a different story. For right now you may want to refer to page 9 of the regs.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/198219.pdf

OK...calm down folks...go back and read my posts...I never indicated people shouldn't keep fish within their legal limits, I'm just saying that TO ME, the look of multiple trophy fish being held by the same angler is a bit of a turn-off, and I just wondered if anyone felt the same.

As far as not fishing enough...my wife would have a different opinion. I'm certainly secure enough in my fishing abilities that I don't feel the need to "stage" a picture to prove that I've caught more than one nice fish in the same day. At my camp behind Sudbury I've often landed half a dozen smallies all over 18 inches before breakfast. Big deal.

Hey feel free to keep whichever fish you are legally entitled to do so. I'm just saying that some anglers, such as myself, find photographic evidence of killing (or unnecassarily stressing) multiple trophy-sized catches unappealing. That's all I'm saying. Gee, I guess I had better go join P3TA because of my crazy "whack-job" beliefs.

The fact that several posters felt the need to post pictures in an immature, failed attempt to antagonize anyone who feels the way I do speaks volumes about what kind of people take such photos.

Guest gbfisher

Well Ill be.......fishing and pictures are not good... :D

....must keep that in mind for next time my kid or anyone else for that matter who doesn't get the opportunity to go fishing. They should forget the experience and not share it with others.

..Such Brilliance!!

oh and sorry if I antagonized you....