Banner Day on Simcoe....

ccmtcanada

Seeing all these great reports on Simcoe had me itching to get back out there. Well today, I had my final chance of the year to hit the ice to finally get me that elusive Whitefish. I realized that I really do suck at ice fishing...LOL. I decided I'd be the official photographer instead...snapping up some action shots...since there was no action on my line at all...haha.

The day started out to another great sunrise...I could get used to seeing this every day out there.

01sunrise.jpg

We started the trek out there. Here's Fishnsled's buddy offering to take the gear out...

02walkingout.jpg

It was a short half and hour walk!

03distance.jpg

Anyhow, Fishnsled got the holes drilled quickly and we all put our lines down. About 4 minutes later, his buddy says 'I got one!!!' I rushed over to fulfill my photographer duties and snapped a series of pics as this fish came up...

04laker.jpg

05laker.jpg

06laker.jpg

07laker.jpg

The clinic today was put on my FnS's other buddy...who iced about 6 and had about a dozen on for the day!! Here's a few of his pics...

08whitie.jpg

10whitie.jpg

Here's FnS calling Headhunter for some tips....

09willjigging.jpg

So, FnS and I got the big skunkaroo today...but it was an absolutely perfect day to be out there. Nice warm temps...the winds were light...the sun was shining.

As we walked back to shore, we noticed that the ice had changed a lot since last weekend...and even from the morning! Here's a section close to shore that looks a little tedious!!

11openwater.jpg

And here's the spot we walked over in the morning...only by afternoon it had heaved up 3 feet!

12ice.jpg

Still lots of ice out there, but one thing I did notice is that the clear black ice of last weekend has changed significantly. There were white streaks throughout it everywhere we walked. The ice where we were was very active...loud cracks could be heard as the sun warmed the surface up. I heard...then felt one crack forming and it went between my legs right to the hole I fishing from! I also estimate about a 2 to 3 inch loss of ice from a week ago. Be safe out there tomorrow if anyone is headed out!

Great report and good ice information Cliff. I needed that for our tomorrow outing.

Sorry you got whitey skunked. Wanna come out with us tomorrow and we'll show you how its done :lol: Obviously FnS is a terrible teacher :P

Joey

Joey...I probably should take you up on that offer!! But I cant...thanks!

Still lots of ice out there...lots of ATVs and sleds. Most of the huts were taken off during the day as well. Last weekend we saw tons of cars and trucks out there...today I only saw 4 that were willing to test the ice...so things are changing quickly out there.

Good luck Joey! Hope to see another huge fish from you in your report tomorrow...no offense, but I hope it's not a carp....LOL.

Glad to see you got out again Cliff....but dang you will not catch me on the ice at this time of year, too unpredictable...not much ice left on the shoreline up here by the looks of things....

Great pics by the way...

Maureen

We just got back from a nice walk out on the bay.The ice is thick,but from some of the large chunks we seen from the divers cut out hole,the ice seem to be getting that honey comb look already top 4 inches or so.There was a nice corn surface on the ice.Good walking.

Thanks for sharing Cliff.

GL out there Sunday J.

Guest gbfisher

Don't sweat it. It's just a 'first fish' thing. :unsure:

....Keep at it, still lots of ice fishing left for the season and there's other lakes to fish!!

Best time of the year if ya ask me, ice fishing wise.

Nothing like a Tan, warm weather and fish to make your day!!

Cliff

you need to attend the Solopaddler seminar series to learn all you need to know about ice fishing, walleye fishing, laker, steelhead and brookie fishing.

I think he even caught one of them bass things once. :P

Coming to a fishing hot spot near you soon!!!! :lol:

Great report and pics Cliff :thumbsup_anim:

Don't sweat it Cliff... at least you got out and tried and that is the most important thing in my books :D

You did accomplish a hell of a job today.... snapping them pics and want to thank you for that :clapping:

Tomorrow I'm going to try the same lake as this morning and my daughter is coming along B) hope she gets a big one..... will report back tomorrow

Jacques

Great report and good ice information Cliff. I needed that for our tomorrow outing.

Sorry you got whitey skunked. Wanna come out with us tomorrow and we'll show you how its done :lol: Obviously FnS is a terrible teacher :P

Joey

Now play nice Joey. :P How did you make out on Sunday?

Real good report and excellent pics Cliff!!! :thumbsup_anim:

.. maybe if you hadn't futzed around with the camera so much you'd have caight a fish? ;)

You'll get'em next year Bubba!!! B)

I think you've right Glen. Mind you, that shot of me talking on the phone looks great. I almost thought I had a fish on! :D

Funny how Will always catches fish when you guys go out together....he must be purposely giving you the bad holes Cliff!! :lol: Nice pix though dude - nobody can take that away from you! heh

thanks for the report guys!

cheers,

UF

Not always UF. Cliff smoked me last year on one of our muskie adventures, 4 for him, 0 for me. Cliff does take some great pics.

Cliff thanks for the report and for being the official photographer. I'm sure it's just a first fish thing as others have said, 3rd time a charm I'm sure. Something to look forward to next season. As always a great day on the water with you, not so much with Ken. :P Next time we'll leave him at home. Also going to get a set of those ice scrapers for the sled next year and save on the walking. ;)