We went for perch and broke a record!!

bassassin

Sweet jump'n Jesus, that's one big ling. I've only seen one comparable in my life, a buddy caught it off the mouth of the Bighead river and it was as long as his leg. It sure looked old with all sorts of battle scars (possibly from gill nets encounters?), anyhow we realeased it without any measurements taken. Congrats, it's truly a hog!

Using the generic fish calculator on the OFAH website and the measurements you gave, it would have weighed about 19.5 lbs.

Great catch and an even better job on the release.

Contact the MNR regarding any records.

Thanks Guys.

Both my brother and I didn't think the fish would be a record breaker, so we didn't even think of taking a picture with a measurement showing the length and girth. That being said, it seems Ontario no longer keeps a C and R record book. Who thinks a spur of the moment ice fishing trip would end up with a record fish... I have been skunked too many times to think anything like that.

As far contacting the people who know, I have emailed the OFAH and the MNR and haven't heard anything from them as of yet. I am not expecting any miracles at this stage of the game. But knowing that I have achieved a record, even though it is unofficial, has always been a dream of mine, and that is one thing that can't be taken from me. Now all I need to do is catch that Tyee this summer lol.

Apparently a lot of guys would have kept the Burbot cause they're good to eat, but I got a feeling it was pretty old. But if I have kept it, it would have be up for the offical record, and knowing that puts a damper on it a bit. Then again, its in Simcoe somewhere ready to be caught again when its even bigger, hopefully being caught by a kid.

Hey Diggyj do you think the burbot would have weighed 19.5 since they are more eel like than most fish. If 19.5 lbs is correct that would make it almost as heavy as my largest muskie (48" I got 10 years ago).

Hookerdown

Wow, way to go!!! I've read how Simcoe has 50+ species of fish, and the Ling did stand out for me, it just seems.. so.. cool! And you caught a beast of a Ling, that must have been exhilarating. It looks like a monster pike coming out of the hole, I really like the markings it looks amazing, and a big one at that. All I have to say is...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :thumbsup_anim: That's what it's all about for me, the THRILL.

Hey James,

I dont think we made the wrong decision. Thats a twenty year old fish that gave you a 10-15 minute fight, That big girl earned her freedom! From the video you can really tell how wide the shoulders are on that brute i believe it could have been 17lbs + . As for being recognised for catching a record, i think catching then releasing a record is alot more honorouble than keeping it just for recognitions sake. We have ther pics and video and thats all the proof we need.

This year were gonna catch some bruisers mark my words bro!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

good on yah

nice catch dude

did the darn thing fight?

good eats--Course Fish-LS-and to think in the olde days they trashed that wonderful creature

did i hear butter?

Rice?

a beverage of your choice?

good stuff!

Paul