We went for perch and broke a record!!

bassassin

well my brother and I treked out to Simcoe in search of deepwater perch and maybe if were lucky a whitie. well we drove the truck out to 25' of water and setup my home made hut perhaps we shouldnt have drove out with a 2 ton truck but hey. All and all we caught about 50 perch, oh yeah and we unofficially broke the Ontario record for the largest burbot/Lingcod ever caught. Look up the record and compare. This beast was 39" and at least 16lbs. As you can see in the pic it hardly fit through an 8" hole!!!! Course fish or not it was great fun and a hell of a fight on four pound testand an ultra-light rod, total battle time was about ten minutes.

8" Hole (tight fit)

IMG00204.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

the setup we have used all season (25' of water) we should of went out on skates!!

IMG00205.jpg

Couple of videos of the mayhem, keep in mind I was trying to take a picture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AlxTlUaLlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqINNSqb9nY

Edited by bassassin

I'm bassassin's brother, and the guy who caught the Burbot. I was a member a few years ago, and just signed back up today. I'm trying to figure out the set up of the board.

In all my years of fishing I thought I would never be proud of catching a Burbot, but after catching that beast I am. The good news is after my brother took the pics and the video, We let here go, and with some sweeps of her tail she went into the depths of Simcoe. Unfortunately we didn't get a weight on it, but I am dying to find out more accurately the weight of the fish. When we brought it up the 8' hole it barely fit. The girth was about 20". I think for it to be an official record for starters, it has to be kept, which it wasn't.

I checked the Ontario and Lake Simcoe fish registery and there is no catagory for Burbot. :(

Does any one know how if or can get it be registered as a catch and release record?

Thanks

James

I just want to thank my brother for all his help with the burbot. I have been lucky enough to have my brother by my side for all of my largest fish, a 48" muskie, 18lb Coho, 27lb Salmon, 12 lb rainbow and now the Burbot Thanks Jay for everything.

I'm bassassin's brother, and the guy who caught the Burbot. I was a member a few years ago, and just signed back up today. I'm trying to figure out the set up of the board.

In all my years of fishing I thought I would never be proud of catching a Burbot, but after catching that beast I am. The good news is after my brother took the pics and the video, We let here go, and with some sweeps of her tail she went into the depths of Simcoe. Unfortunately we didn't get a weight on it, but I am dying to find out more accurately the weight of the fish. When we brought it up the 8' hole it barely fit. The girth was about 20". I think for it to be an official record for starters, it has to be kept, which it wasn't.

I checked the Ontario and Lake Simcoe fish registery and there is no catagory for Burbot. :(

Does any one know how if or can get it be registered as a catch and release record?

Thanks

James

I just want to thank my brother for all his help with the burbot. I have been lucky enough to have my brother by my side for all of my largest fish, a 48" muskie, 18lb Coho, 27lb Salmon, 12 lb rainbow and now the Burbot Thanks Jay for everything.

When you were bringing it up before you saw the head in the ice, what did you think you had. Did you know what you had right away when it's head poped out? I would have crapped my pants.

Yea we knew it was a bubot, but we couldn't believe the size of it. I always thought they might get up to 8 lbs but definately not as big as that one. When I saw its head the first thing i did was check for teeth cause I knew the only way I could get it in was by shoving my hand down its yap.