Best antivirus software

Big Cliff

For a couple of years now I have been running a program called NOD32 antivirus software which costs me about $35.00/year. I don't have any specific complaints about it other than I have had a few small issues with my computer and I can't really pin those down to being the fault of NOD32 but my subscription runs out on March 4 and I am just wondering if there are better packages available (free if it is good is better LOL).

While I am at it, is there any way to easily remove 'temp internet files" I seem to be building quite a pile of them. Should they be removed?

All help much appreciated!

Cliff

BG,

Go to:

http://www.filehippo.com/

And download either AVG or Avast - both are free and both are excellent. No need to pay for AV anymore.

As to temp files, go to Tools --> Internet options --> Delete. That will bring up a screen that you can delete temp files, history and cookies and forms.

Hope that helps.

For a couple of years now I have been running a program called NOD32 antivirus software which costs me about $35.00/year. I don't have any specific complaints about it other than I have had a few small issues with my computer and I can't really pin those down to being the fault of NOD32 but my subscription runs out on March 4 and I am just wondering if there are better packages available (free if it is good is better LOL).

While I am at it, is there any way to easily remove 'temp internet files" I seem to be building quite a pile of them. Should they be removed?

Cliff

Edited by musky_man

Cliff

Hey Cliff,

Don't go with any Norton or McAfee products. They are too popular and hence all the hackers and morons that create the viruses are able to go around what they offer. You should go with anything made by Trend Micro like PCCillan. Not too expensive either. Also, if you're looking for a temporary clean up got to Malwarebytes and download the free software and that will completely clean your system.

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Sorry to say but I have to buck the majority here. I had AVG free on my old computer. I got hit really bad with a virus, trojan, worm or whatever? It destroyed my computer, was going to take it in for repairs. talked to a computer nut at work and he told me what to try. Did as he said but to no avail. I gave up and bought a new computer package during the after Christmas sale season and loaded it with Norton 360 and so far no problems, this version of Norton does not slow things down like other older versions I have tried. It was expensive, about a hundred bucks but found it at Walmart for about 50 on sale the same day I bought the new computer at Best Buy.

Whatever hit my old computer would not let me update AVG or download any other anti virus programs or even a free trial of Norton 360. I'm staying with Norton for now as like I said, so far I'm pleased with the performance. BTW, the computer nut at work wouldn't defend AVG.

Best of luck Cliff.

pikehunter,

I used Norton for years and really came to hate it .. caused me more problems than I even want to talk about ... I have had no problem at all with either AVG or Avast.

Sorry to say but I have to buck the majority here. I had AVG free on my old computer. I got hit really bad with a virus, trojan, worm or whatever? It destroyed my computer, was going to take it in for repairs. talked to a computer nut at work and he told me what to try. Did as he said but to no avail. I gave up and bought a new computer package during the after Christmas sale season and loaded it with Norton 360 and so far no problems, this version of Norton does not slow things down like other older versions I have tried. It was expensive, about a hundred bucks but found it at Walmart for about 50 on sale the same day I bought the new computer at Best Buy.

Whatever hit my old computer would not let me update AVG or download any other anti virus programs or even a free trial of Norton 360. I'm staying with Norton for now as like I said, so far I'm pleased with the performance. BTW, the computer nut at work wouldn't defend AVG.

Best of luck Cliff.

Best of luck Cliff.

I tried Norton years ago and quickly became disenchanted with so many things about it. So I gave McAfee a try and liked it less. I forget exactly why after all these years. So I went back to Norton. The company did itself in by giving me a ridiculously hard time over a little mail in rebate. The only reason I pursued it was the principle, and by the time I was doen I had sworn never to use Norton again. One thing I do remember clearly is the futility of trying to uninstall Norton from a computer. AVG leaves as gently as it installs and I've had no problems that I'm aware of with it. If I switched now I'd perhaps try the Kaspersky software. Heard good things about it.

JF

Get rid of Norton. It is a resource hog. Norton was the best 15 years ago but its horrible now. The kicker for me was when they started telling me my annual subsription was running out 2 months before. If they trick people into renewing every 10 months they increase revenue. pricks. You MUST run a Norton removal tool to get rid of it. Uninstalling it still leaves all kinds of crap behind.

I use AVG free edition for viruses and so far no problems and no slowdowns.

I like the free version of Advanced SystemCare for spyware removal and prevention. It is rated highly by cNet. It stays in the background and watches for spyware.

As I said, the 360 runs OK on this machine. Older version I did have at one time on the old computer did slow it down at times. Could be that 360 and dual core processor are more compatible? I don't know but so far all is OK. I too was fed up with Norton, but after getting hit I went back to it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Norton just stating my latest experience.

Edited by pikehunter

Simple/cheapest solution.......don't download/open anything you don't trust or know where it came from.

Virus' don't just hop on your computer...you have to do something to trigger them.

If you really feel the need to run it...get AVG..it's free.

I don't think I would ever tell anyone , just don't open anything and whatnot

I was surfing and just opening a web page can give you a virus, AVG caught it

so you would need to add don't use the internet

or don't use the computer.

..use a virus checker and be careful might be better advise ...IMHO

I use my computer a lot, do all kinds of research on it. If I had to limit my use to never visiting any site I didn't know or never opening anything I wasn't absolutly sure was safe, I might as well not have one.

From what I have been able to learn from the replies I have gotten here and reading many reviews, none of the solutions are perfect and there will always be some risk no matter what program you are running. I ran AVG and found problems that NOD32 hadn't been able to find, it wouldn't surprise me that if I was to run Norton right now, it might find things that both NOD32 and AVG had missed.

I guess the best solution for me is to try to be careful, make sure I have the best software available and keep a back up of my critical data just in case.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Windows Live OneCare from microsoft.

I've been using it a couple years now and have had no problems.

The free ones always concern me, nobody gives you anything for nothing.