Have you ever heard of this???

Cudz

My friend was out on Sunday and between 8 of them using live minnows, they manage about 20 perch. In the same amount of time a guy and his 2 friends limit out with 150 perch. My buddy goes over to see what they are using and the guy shows him a small jigging spoon but on the treble he attaches an eyeball from a perch!?!?!?!

What???

Yeah eyeballs from the perch they caught moments earlier. What is that all about? My buddy says they didn't even jig the spoons, just let them sit and immediately, bam, another perch.

Is this a common practice?

Is this even legal?

Guest gbfisher

100% legal. Nothing wrong with using the eyeballs from the perch you took or are taking home. I cure them myself. Best bait goin for Perch.

Using the whole fish for bait is 100% illegal though.

Did that for trout in Newfoundland all the time. Where I come from worms were hard to come by. Turn over a few rocks to find a worm, bug, or anything that a trout would bite. Sometimes we had to use buds from a nearby tree. The trick was to get the first one. After that it was eyeballs and guts the rest of the day. And mighty successful I might add.

Curt

used to do that all the time when I was a little kid, if we rode our bikes to a fishing hole, and started running out of bait,if we where keeping a few fish to bring home we would do that, first was the eyes, then little belly strips.

I have also used belly strip from perch as a sort of "jig'npig" or"sluggo" kind of baits for pike fishing,it's awesome watching the white strip go through the water, then a green flash and no more bait....set the hook and ya..hoooo!!! :w00t:

We used to do that all the time in lake Champlain Vermont. Not on a jig but just a hook and sinker. Funny thing though, they would not bite if they were Bass or Punkinseed eyes. If you want to argue if it was legal back then ask the old guy that lived there most of the year who taught me that, who's been dead a long time ago. God rest his soul, He was a Prince of a man. Taught me all about fishing and the outdoors.

Never done it myself, but a couple of years ago saw a guy catching large spring panfish one after another using perch eyeballs. Meanwhile my friend and I went home with maybe a dozen dinks in a couple hours using micro tubes.

Edited by freshwaterfanatic

Hell yeah it's legal!

The first time I found out about this technique, it was by accident! Was fishing pigeon lake on a slow day, caught a perch it unhooked just leaving its eyeball, I used that as bait thinking 'what the hell,' and the action picked right up it was on fire!

If you've ever ran out of bait when panfish are biting this works great....it could have been they were on top of a hump or something and you guys weren't....even though you were close that made all the difference no matter what bait was being used.

100% legal. Nothing wrong with using the eyeballs from the perch you took or are taking home. I cure them myself. Best bait goin for Perch.

Using the whole fish for bait is 100% illegal though.

So I hook the perch throuh the EYE BALLL,and a pike takes it,am I still legal??????? J/K Bro.

I was brought up on eyes and herring. :thumbsup_anim:

Heres another for ya.

Cut thin slices of a perch throut. Nice bait for crappie.

Edited by misfish

So I hook the perch throuh the EYE BALLL,and a pike takes it,am I still legal??????? J/K Bro.

I was brought up on eyes and herring. :thumbsup_anim:

Heres another for ya.

Cut thin slices of a perch throut. Nice bait for crappie.

Ok

so am i reading this right. I am allowed to catch a perch and cut pieces of perch to use as bait? Is that correct, or am I just allowed to use certain parts of the perch. I tried doing a search but failed to come up with an thorough answer.

i've heard of ppl doing this but i havent done it myself. i've also heard of ppl cutting some skin off a lake trout and putting that on your hook worked wonders but i never tried it. this past weekend i was fishing with a buddy and he had chunks of lake trout belly/skin that he was jigging with getting lakers. is what he was doing illegal?

Edited by pike slayer