state of the US economy

aniceguy

Just Horrible, Ya got to be depressed to leave Everything Behind.

On a Hopeful note, Canadian Banks are the Healthiest in the world. Not one going Bankrupt. And I found this Article hidden way Beneath the Doom and Gloomers of Hopelessness

http://www.vancouversun.com/Business/Bank+...0082/story.html

Does Carney count as a Politician?

Was there a stimulus package during the great Great Depression? I never read about one in any of my history classes back in high school.

sadly the stilumlas package was the war. it is what helped get the u.s off there feet.

in this case the war is costing them to much coin. the trillions they will spend could have been there health care system they could have had like us up here.

the search for oil opps i mean weapons of mass destruction goes on.

cheers!

sadly the stilumlas package was the war. it is what helped get the u.s off there feet.

in this case the war is costing them to much coin. the trillions they will spend could have been there health care system they could have had like us up here.

Humm, you have a point. Also they say that the thing about the depression is that everybody saved, or hoarded money which was the worst thing about it. No Matter what, when this thing gets over with, the Economists and scholars are going to have a Heyday analyzing this experience.

cheers!

Edited by holdfast

Was there a stimulus package during the great Great Depression? I never read about one in any of my history classes back in high school.

The big federal construction projects initiated by FDR and the Democrats through the 30's. There were no bailouts that I can recall.

Our recovery came from a lot of brave people fighting for our country and much of the balance of our population was highly productive at their work place. Defense workers worked a bunch of overtime. 70 hour weeks were not uncommon. We sacrificed through rationing so our military could be properly equiped. The speed limit was 35 mph on our best highways. Gas was rationed. School kids collected milk pods for life jackets. Tires were recapped. Everybody helped pull the wagon. Very few rode while others pulled.

I don't remember anybody taking a vacation during the war years.

Trust me no envy here in Canada...that video I posted was sad and disheartening, similiar to the lady begging the president for help in fort Myers....Some citizens got wealthy beyond belief while the masses are needing foodstamps and leaving pictures of loved ones in the house...10% made trillions while the other 90% are struggling to eat let alone anything else

Edited by aniceguy

My goodness! Canadians debating the U.S. economy and politics!... how original!!!

I guess their own isn't interesting or "big" enough to draw their own interest...

Do we have a case of "Economy Envy"" here???

Yep...super jealous. The US economy is in such great shape.

In all seriousness though, don`t expect a recovery in the 2nd quarter or half....the Cdn gov`t can`t control the fact that our biggest customer is absolutely screwed (the US makes up a giant portion of our GDP)

Yep...super jealous. The US economy is in such great shape.

In all seriousness though, don`t expect a recovery in the 2nd quarter or half....the Cdn gov`t can`t control the fact that our biggest customer is absolutely screwed (the US makes up a giant portion of our GDP)

... nor can you help that the value of your dollar is dependent on the value of our dollar...

it sux to suck hind teat eh!

... nor can you help that the value of your dollar is dependent on the value of our dollar...

it sux to suck hind teat eh!

The whole world sucks the US teet. The US is the world's biggest customer. You guys buy everything.

That said, the US dollar is likely to plummet from inflation. Not sure what happens to ours, which is heavily dependent on the price of commodities like oil.

The wealth of a generation has been squandered by a relatively small number of people. It took a 25 year campaign to get people to empty their savings accounts and get "your money to work for you". What they really did was to make your productivity work for them. Wall St, Bay St. the money markets and all that stuff is really just a giant "ponzie scheme". In that world something is only worth what the last person paid for it. The banks work the same way they are not interested in how much money you have in your accounts because they have to then work to create the interest you expected to earn on your money. If they get you to invest your money in other stuff and borrow money then they turn the tables on you and benefit from your productivity.

Now that the money is gone where is the wealth going to come from to drive up the price of stocks and bonds and all that other stuff?

The message here has been consume, consume, buy, buy. People fell for it. A news segment a couple days ago, homes that were selling for 100k in Cincinnati a year ago are now selling at foreclosure auctions for 7-9 k. It would suck to be their neighbors trying to sell your home?

Last 8 years or so the people in charge wanted tax cuts for the rich, while the roads and bridges crumbled around them, while business shipped the higher paying manufacturing jobs overseas decreasing the tax (income) base.

A Utopia that wasn`t, a make believe society that couldn`t sustain itself. The bigger they are the harder they fall?

The message here has been consume, consume, buy, buy. People fell for it. A news segment a couple days ago, homes that were selling for 100k in Cincinnati a year ago are now selling at foreclosure auctions for 7-9 k. It would suck to be their neighbors trying to sell your home?

A Utopia that wasn`t, a make believe society that couldn`t sustain itself. The bigger they are the harder they fall?

That consumption Idea has been Blackmailed to today's Government in Canada, AKA the three Stooges one being a Separest Government. We still have an Opposition making News with only 14 percent vote saying its still not enough before it even Kicked in. Truth is, any Monies, or interest decreases, from our National Bank seemed to get swallowed up by our other 5 Banks to , as they say, take care of their losses. What has been meant to go back to the Borrowers has not Happened. I'm afraid this Stimulus Package is going to fail as what is meant is gobbled up for Greed. The Big three, there are still going to be Layoffs here in Canada which is happening as well as Layoffs in other Manufacturing. lets face it, if we don't have Buyers outside this country we have to slow down. We got everybody and their dog crying we want more money. Yesterday its the recycling business which has always been a money grabber despite hiring cheap labour disabled which the government also gives out Grants. Whats funny or should I say Ironic, the dead and Dying Pulp industry is getting money to restart an Industry that died when times were good. What about pollution eh. Yea too much politics. Too bad because this Nation was almost at a point of paying our National Dept. Now this really gets me. The Gas prices just climbed at the Pumps to what it would be over 100 dollars a Barrel. I feel sorry of my kids and their Kids. WHAT REALLY IS NEEDED IS JAIL TIME and a Leash. on the profiteers.

Edited by holdfast

I agree, the people at the top haven`t been happy making 500,000 k a year, they wanted a million, then 5 million, then ten million or more a year. The age of slow steady growth went in favor of a boom or bust economy so they could pad their paydays.

Tough on the company, stock holders, the public, and the economy, but they earned enough, quickly enough to make sure they were on easy street. The suffering doesn`t trickle up as easily as it trickles down.

Wow, GCD...spoken like a true economist. You really seem to have a good handle on what's going on up here. Yes, we are all in total envy of the US economy and how the country is managed :thumbsup_anim: .....there is an old chineese proverb that says "the tallest nail gets hammered first"......sucking hind teat ? = tortus and the hare ?

I have a buddy down there with Crones disease and has undergone many surgeries as a result.....he has medical insurance that he pays every month for but is still somewhere around $500,000 in debt from medical bills with no way out. They take a percentage off his paycheck now and he will never own a house or get ahead. His depresion is what worries me the most.

I have a heart condition, had it since I was 9 and I'm 37 now. in the last 28 years I have had over 150 "episodes" that invloved going to the emerg for treatment for my heart.....I had one in the US that cost $4500 for a typical stay of 2hrs to give you an idea of the cost. I have also had three heart surguries and a lifetime ekg's, ultra sounds, MRI's etc. It is very safe to say that I have had a million dollars worth of medical proceedures to keep me alive and try to correct my heart problem. I owe nothing but gratitude for living in a country that was able to foot that bill. I owe every Canadian brother and sister that pays taxes my gratitude for sharing in my burden, and helping me out.

I make very good money and pay very high taxes but I cannot complain about that. I live a great life, in a great country and want for nothing. My wife lost her job in the auto inustry. Our government is going to grant her the money for her to be re-trained for a better job in the medical industry....again, thanks to my fellow Candadians for helping us out.

Envy ? no man.....just gratitude. The only feeling I have these days is gratitude and thankfulness for living in Canada.

Cheers

RR

Our US dollar is doing quite well against the Canadian dollar right now and if money gets any tighter it will be even better against the Canadian loonie. It's right around 24% compared to last year's 4%.........

This will make my Canadian fishing trip that much less and that's not even figuring gasoline being much cheaper this year ..... :) OH, that's right you guys are still paying a LOT more for gasoline :(