Boat questions

Cookslav

Ok pure hypothetical question....

What size of boat & engine would you reccomend for this Scenario.

I'm in the market this year for a purchase...My budget is limited but I'm aiming high :lol:

I want something Big enough(just barely) to hit the big waters of Huron occasionaly

Being I have trailer just outside of Kincardine, but I want to stay small enough to still be easily towed down to some smaller inland lakes, or inlets like Colpoys bay, Picton, The west arm, or the moon etc...

This is my first "real" boat.....aside from my 10' electric punt :rolleyes:

I have my eye on an Aluminum 18' deep hull starcraft with a 50hp Merc

I'm thinking thats suffice, provided I keep my eye on the weather if I'm out in Huron.

And plenty good for Picton, and easily towed to boot.

What are you thoughts?

If you are planning to go on the big water then definatly get more HP. As someone else said, 2/3 of the boat's max HP rating. You don't want to get stuck on the lake if a storm comes up & be under powered. I had this happen to me when I was fishing in a friends boat. We all put on our life vests because it got that bad, that fast. Being under powered we ended up getting stuck in some rocks near an Island because the motor couldn't handle the wind & waves..

Also you should look for a boat with a wide beam. That will help a little with the waves.

What type of boat are you considering? If it is a side console or full windshield boat I had a 15 foot 78 inch wide with a forty and wouldn't dream of going on Huron with it. My new boat is an 18 foot lond 92 inches wide with a 115 and love it, feel safe but always keep a close eye on the weather. Don't forget the bit more you spend now will make it a lot easier for resale down the road it is very dificult to sell an underpowered boat.

Cookslav, I have a 16' Princecraft 169 with a 50HP. I regularly use it for salmon fishing on Lake Ontario - but you have to pick good weather days. I also can trailer it to smaller lakes that have access. I rent a cottage for a week each year in the kawarthas and trailer the boat up there. I'm not familiar with Lake Huron but suspect its like Ontario.

I agree with the suggested HP increase for an 18 footer. The 50 on my 16' is OK but I suspect that at least 75 or 90 is what is needed for your 18'er.

Might I also suggest a VHF radio if you are going on big water in the event you do get into trouble.

I have a 17 foot side console with a 35 hp, the boat is rated for a 60hp so I am just under 2/3. It is not fast, older style only 73 inches wide. Most of my fishing was on Lake Erie or the tributaries and inland lakes, a few trips to the Georgian Bay. It worked, had to keep a close eye on the weather, and yes I should have got a bigger motor. It was easy to take were I wanted to go, the one your looking at will work. JMO it`s not what your out there in, it`s what you do when your out there.

Horsepower is no substitute for common-sense when it comes to boating on the Great Lakes! The fastest boat in the world won't get you out of trouble if you're stupid.

Pigeontroller: If there ever was one, that is a quoteable quote. Have a healthy respect for nature and the water and you won't find yourself in kaka. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the Feed back.

I was leary of the 50hp as well, but I have to keep my budget in mind(er...my wife is keeping my budget in line)

I have several models in mind but the 18'seemed best for future growth(Ie. up grade the motor with next years bonus, or the year after)

There is still a good 16' side pannel model with a 40hp in my sights as well....

Its reeeeely nice with all the bells an whistles but I wasn't sure 16' would be big enough for the big water?

The boat your looking at seems a little under power. I have a 18' princecraft with a 115hp 4 stroke and that gets me to where I want to be and off the water if a strom should brew up all of sudden. A deep v hulled boat is what you need for fishing big water like Wiarton,Piction.

Have a look at Sturgeon point marnia that is where I bought my boat.

Good luck

Ken

I have a 16' with a 25 tiller, I troll the area around Owen Sound/Meaford. When the weathers nasty, there's always somebodies campsite and firepit to invade and shoot the bull while the waves calm down. I've seen many a day where even a 20+ footer would be nothing more than a statistic on the bay.

I want something Big enough(just barely) to hit the big waters of Huron occasionaly

Being I have trailer just outside of Kincardine, but I want to stay small enough to still be easily towed down to some smaller inland lakes, or inlets like Colpoys bay, Picton, The west arm, or the moon etc...

I don't know what your budget is but this might fit your needs..

http://tinyurl.com/2w6moq

I looked at this boat and water tested it. It's solid, has riggers, bow mount trolling motor and gets on plane in a respectable period of time. The throttle control needs repair, maybe just an adjustment as it doesn't backs off if you don't hold it. If felt very safe and stable with it's high sides. I didn't buy it because they were asking $9,000 when I looked at it... since then I've found a different boat and hope to do a deal on it.

-Brian

Thats pretty much exsactly what I'm leaning towards...

The Startcraft I've been looking at is a bit older then that one, but its a different model as well

Its got a full canapy, and full windsheild with a side console, and some riggers to boot.

Thanks for the link though I might go check that one out!