Squaretails

Sinker

Well, my plan today was to hit a lake I've been to once before, a long, long time ago, for splake. We headed out, got in the area, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the lake :dunno: We got out at one point, strapped on the snow shoes and walked a good KM before I said screw this, we're not in the right spot, and left again.

Then we geared into plan B. By this time, its 11am. I knew a little brookie lake in the area so off we go.

We made the 2km hike in, in snow up to our crotch... :stretcher: ...it was a workout to say the least......thank god for snowshoes, or we never would have made it. Got to the lake at the crack of 1:30pm. Not a track.......

P2030038.jpg

We hiked across to my lucky little hole.........

P2030037.jpg

And got set up. It didn't take long and Rich had a fish on......sweet!! I was watching him fight this fish, when I heard something behind me......I turned around and my rod was headed for the hole.......I made the save and we started the day with a nice double!! Here's mine......about 12" or so....

P2030031.jpg

Rich ended up getting one more as soon as he got his line back down........man, this is looking good! 3 fish on the ice in less than 10 minutes!!!

After that little flurry of action, things went quiet. We decided we were well overdue for our lunch, so got set up on shore with a small fire, and a lunch. We were planning on frying up a few fish, but by this time, we were already waaaaay behind schedule, so we opted for a hot cup of tea, and cold sandwiches.......the fire was nice though.

P2030033.jpg

Heres a shot of our little set up........there was about 2ft of snow on the lake, and 6" of slush under that......what a mess.

P2030034.jpg

We sat in the sun, by the fire, taking turns checking lines. Every once in a while, there would be a minnow missing, and it seemed like everytime you'd replace it, you'd get a fish or two. It also seemed like they came around when Rich was checking the lines.... :wallbash::whistling: I only got the one fish right at the start.......Rich got his limit. :clapping: We split them up at the end of the day, so it was no bother to me anyways.

Heres the final tally for the day.

P2030036.jpg

I know whats for dinner tomorrow night!!! :canadian:

All the fish were stuffed with inverts and tiny little dace minnows. I'm surprised we got any at all.....they were full to the brim......greedy little buggers!!!

It was a great day. I have been waiting for the right day to do this tour all season. Other than the crotch deep snow, I think the day was perfect. It was a little brisk first thing in the morning, but once that sun was up, it was mint!! Now I'm just beat.......it was quite the workout, and I realized just how out of shape I'm getting......LOL.

I think next week, I might target some pike.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

Great stuff fella.... too much work for this old lad though.. LOL

I'm feeling it Wayne......don't worry!!! :stretcher:

nice fish...well worth the treck in the deep snow...what bait did you use?

Just a hook and sinker with a small dace minnow on a willow gad did the trick. Nothing fancy today......we packed light.

Sinker