MacNair monster replica

fishingisliving

Guest steel'n'esox

No muskie to my knowlege has ever been caught with a 33inch girth at least in season, any one who has ever had a fishing pole in their hand knows that a big girth such as the Mcnair musky, will add far more weight to any fish for that matter that each inch of length, you are what you eat? Who the hell cares if its a record or not, that fact is he cared about the fish and the fishery, and released the fish so someone else might share in the excitement of one day catching that same fish. Hopefully it happens and we can all thank Dale for his decision on that cold November day. Maybe lightning will strike twice and he will once again be aquainted with an old flame.

Forrest, Forrest, Forrest.

I think the big distinction your missing is the Catch & Release aspect of the record. O'brien certainly kept his.

Cheers on Mr. MacNair for being the sportsmen he is.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by farsider

The press is a bit disrespectful of Ken O'Brien, but, that is what the press and salesmen do. I think there will be a few more Musky charters in the area next year....if I am close I will want to take a look at the replica for sure.

forrest

Not to mention a few muskie guys who had their noses tweaked by such a record being held by an accountant in a rented boat caught with a Mepps & piece of a hotdog :D

Congrats though, that's a fish of a lifetime.

Never mind that Forest guy.LOL

Dale, I can respect what you did and can say NO MATTER what anyone else says,fish of a lifetime,is something that will never be forgotten.

Im not a big musky guy,but can relate if I caught the next huge Simcoe smallie. Not sure I would put it back,but your catch would certianly be in the back of my mind.

Congratulations on your FISH OF A LIFE TIME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dale once again congrats on that monster she sure does look nice and I cant wait to see her at the show in April. Are you going to be sharing the MCI main booth? if so I think I will set up our chapter section right next to you well maybe not as there will be no one looking at us LOL. I cant wait to check out the monster first hand and also give ya a hand shake and try to steel some of your MOJO LOL.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/2009-Odyssey-Ad-Final.html

Everyone asks why I just bought my retirement home in Brockville and not somewhere up north aways . Thanks Dale for putting her back , few more monthes of work and than see ya TO I did my 35 , i will be on the river (I will miss salmon fishing and the big boat but hey my son is takeing over I can allways visit) chaseing muskies .

Bravo to you Mr. MacNair for releasing that fish, and an absolutely fantastic fish it was!!!! The memories of the fight will last forever and hopefully the next person to land that fish gives it the respect that you did....

Burt :)

Dale,

Its unfortunate that you have to defend yourself the way you do over catching a fish.

Awesome catch, and awesome job at the release, that fish is still swimming which makes it better than any dead mount, who cares about the record she is still ALIVE!

Once again, thanks for the realese!.

Bryan

Hey Dale,

Awesome to see the video. I was just checking in here and saw the thread. Neato deal. Looks like a tremendous job on the replica ... such a tremendous example set - and proof that there is no need to harvest a fish of any size - in order to have a tremendous replication to hand on the wall to bring back memories.

Not to take anything away, at all, from the Williamson and Obrien fish. Both were monsters ... my opinion is nothing other than speculation based on quite a bit of experience & study. It is certain your release was in the same class at these fish; it is my opinion that if you'd chosen to harvest it, I'd have bet heavily on it weighing more than any other muskie ever legitimately weighed. I'm completely certain you did the right thing leaving it to speculation, and applaud the preservation of an exceptional genetic specimen. :clapping::clapping:

No doubt perhaps one of the largest muskies ever caught. Kudos on the release back to its environment to continue living.

Probably the pinnacle of musky fishing especially since it was the goal. Awesome!