Tail up or Tail down?

Greencoachdog

When rigging a plastic grub on a jig, do you prefer the tail up?

DSC01656.jpg

Or the tail down?

DSC01657.jpg

Until recently, I always thought the tail should go up... but have found I have better results with the tail down. I believe this is because when the jig is worked/retrieved near the bottom the tail kicks up more mud/sand/debris giving it the appearance of a crawfish or baitfish fleeing.

I also like the tail down when tipping the jig with a live minnow... it keeps the tail from flogging the minnow to death.

How do you rig yours?

I always rig mine tail up.... don't ask me why :dunno:

May be the reason is, I used to buy the ones that are prerigged at CT in packages and they're setup with the tail up.

I will certainly give the tail down a try.... Thanks Glen for that tip :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques

I've always been a tail down fan myself. Don't know why just always looked "right" to me.

If I'm not mistaken I think I saw a facts of fishing segment where Dave Mercer completely threw me off. He flipped the grub over and rigged it so the tail was nearest the weighted head of the jig. His reasoning was it gave the grub more action/profile one the bottom for the fish to pick up. never tried it though.

He flipped the grub over and rigged it so the tail was nearest the weighted head of the jig.

Not to mention it would keep those pesky panfish from nibbling off the end of the tail!

Also, not a bad idea to increase your hook-up percentage on "short" strikes. The fish would basically be biting the hook, since there is no emtpy space between the tail and hook itself.

According to John Bondy (as stated in bassmaster magazine Dec issue i believe), you should always rig the grub with the tail curling down. It is much less likely to get fouled on the hook.

He has some other good tips in there as well with regards to grub fishing.

May be the reason is, I used to buy the ones that are prerigged at CT in packages and they're setup with the tail up.

Jacques

Me too Jacques! If you'll look at the prerigged ones, over 80% of them have the tail up!

Cudz Posted Today, 09:20 AM

you should always rig the grub with the tail curling down. It is much less likely to get fouled on the hook.

That's a good point, I noticed that happening when I was rigging mine up!

capt bruce Posted Today, 10:26 AM

Sideways

ch312 Posted Today, 01:40 PM

up? down?

what about to the left? right?

just close your eyes and thread it onto the hook. likely doesnt matter to the fish which way the tail is pointing...

Then your jig swims in circles and twists your line... not to mention looking real dumb to the fish and scaring them away!!! ;)

jediangler Posted Today, 11:24 AM

I rig mine tail down, until the body is torn, then I flip it over and rig it tail up.

I did the opposite of that, and that's when I realized I was getting more bites and catching more fish with it down.

fireball Posted Today, 11:39 AM

UP!!!! Any other way is wrong.

Is this going to become one of those console/tiller type of things?

That's ok fireball, maybe I can fish the back of the boat with you someday and show you all the fish you're missing!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the replies folks!!!

Then your jig swims in circles and twists your line... not to mention looking real dumb to the fish and scaring them away!!! ;)

thats why they have this new technology called a swivel :thumbsup_anim:

with the action you see from all kinds of crazy lures, i doubt it would spook the fish.

Guest steel'n'esox
:whistling: I usually rig my plastics tail down which gives a slower fall do to more resistance, on the other hand it also allows panners more time to attack before your bait gets to the walleyes in that case I throw bucktails panfish problem solved