1/12/09 pics

Greencoachdog

Like I mentioned in a couple previous threads, we've been getting an enormous amount of rain down here (we needed it). I fish Lake Neely Henry on the Coosa River, it's the 2 lake down in a chain of 6 lakes. Logan Martin is the 3rd lake and it has been about 8' above normal for this time of year. I've been waiting for the water on Henry to clear up and for most of the debris to be washed away, today I couldn't wait any longer. It was a fairly decent day weather wise, light winds and a high of 55*F.

I got to the lake at about 10 a.m and was kinda disappointed at my first look at the lake. The water was still chocolate milk and still a large amount of debris in the lake. Leaves, small tree branches, large branches, big logs, and litter.

I said "what the heck, I'm already here" and launched the boat.

The first thing I had to do was run the gauntlet!!!

DSC01639.jpg

They were everywhere!!! :blink:

DSC01640.jpg

It brought back the hellish nighmares of my childhood!!!

med_gallery_82_84_43068.jpg

This one stood in the same spot all day and watched me... I just knew he was goin' to attack any second!!!

DSC01647.jpg

... but he didn't! *whew!*

I took this pic for Bernie, he mentioned in another thread he'd like to see a boat and some wake!

DSC01646.jpg

Like I said the day was nice, but my confidence was low. The cold muddy water and dropping water levels are just not condusive to good fishin' (catching).

I just baited up one Sabiki rig with big shiners (2 1/2") and drug it around the lower end of my favorite creek. I drug that thing up and down the creek for 2 hrs. and not even a sniff. Kept checking the shiners to see if any had gone AWOL or were dead... nope!... everybody was still alive and accounted for. :angry:

I had lulled myself into a daze daydreaming of fish caught and days gone by when I was rudely interrupted by a "rattle rattle" and then a zzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzz, I thought to myself "what in the hell is all that racket about??? Then I looked over to my rod in the holder and saw it bent over double with the top half in the water... then thout to myself "damn! snagged!!!" Then saw the rod strt to jump and more drag peel zzzzzz zzzzz!

I said to myself "Wake up dumbass, you've got a fish!!!" ( I have to get pretty stern with me sometimes! ;) )

Grabbed the rod outta the holder and feel good weight!!! Something was heading for the bottom!!! About a 5 minute battle ensued and I finally got this thing to the net!!!

CopyofDSC01642.jpg

YUP!!! A gigantic World record Bullhead!!!... if I had kept him for the record, it wouldn't have been for the money... or the fame... it would've been for the Groupies!!!... but then I thought about the :asshat: whippin' I'd have to tote if Ol' Yeller ever even caught me TALKIN' to a groupie... so I let him go, after playing the picture takin' game. I know how some of these radioactive brainwave fish are around these parts, so I took three pics (returning Mr. Gigantic World Record Bullhead to the livewell after each pic)... Well, after the 2nd pic... Mr. Gigantic World Record Bullhead got tired of playin' the picture game and proceeded to latch onto my thumb and rotate himself thricely in the livewell when I grabbed him for the third pic... mangling my thumb not unlike a baby Muskrat on meth would do!!!

DSC01644.jpg

... but that's ok, I prolly deserved it!... I wear my fish battle scars proudly!!!

After that all was quiet again... until I decided to eat lunch... as soon as I grabbed my bag of tater chips the rod went off again.... this time, much smaller and much more worthless. :rolleyes:

DSC01649.jpg

That's right! A baby Sheepie!

After that... NOTHING!!!... hung around for an hour or so and decided to pack it in calling it a slow but surprisingly good day!

Stay tuned for your next softwater fix!!!

That is one BIG bullhead, Glen! And here I thought it was customary to use a boga on those things. :lol: Another few days and you'll have clear water again. A great outing for you for sure. What size hooks on the sabiki?

BTW, did the Giant World Record Bullhead show up on the quadrabeam?

HEY! Wait a minute....you took 3 pics and showed us ONE! The other two have a tape measure and a 2009 OFC tourney sign right??????? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Great report and pics Glen :thumbsup_anim:

Good lord what a beast :w00t: Biggest cat I even seen... congratulations :clapping:

But one question..... where's the OFC sign in the pic... did you forget it? :wallbash: or it's on the other two pics?

Talk about chocolate brown charlie brown..... the scenery shot of the lake looks the same as the ones around here in the fall, no leaves in the trees.....

Again super job on the monster cat Glen and thanks for sharing :thumbsup_anim:

Jacques

That is one BIG bullhead, Glen! And here I thought it was customary to use a boga on those things. :lol: Another few days and you'll have clear water again. A great outing for you for sure. What size hooks on the sabiki?

BTW, did the Giant World Record Bullhead show up on the quadrabeam?

I don't own a Boga and was very lucky to avoid the deadly stinging whiskers on that brute... they could killa horse yanno!!!

Sabiki rig hook size is #14 Japanese or #2 U.S. ... but high carbon steel Hayabusa Rig hooks!!!... they don't bend... they dont break!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I got the Gigantic World Record Bullheads nasty :asshat: before the quadrabeam had a chance to hit him!!! :w00t:

Roy Posted Today, 05:57 PM

HEY! Wait a minute....you took 3 pics and showed us ONE! The other two have a tape measure and a 2009 OFC tourney sign right??????? HAHAHAHAHAHA

[Leechman Posted Today, 06:21 PM

But one question..... where's the OFC sign in the pic... did you forget it? or it's on the other two pics?

If y'all will look closely... I'm wearing my Ontario Fishing.net hat!!!

jwl Posted Today, 06:35 PM

that's a hog cat for sure...speaking of...too bad the tourney didn't start yet...or did it???

Tourney is underway Jack!!! ;)

Edited by GCD

"mangling my thumb not unlike a baby Muskrat on meth would do!!!" I do so enjoy your unique way of describing things! You were out on the water on a nice day and caught fish..I am feeling just a wee bit envious! thanks Glen

This one stood in the same spot all day and watched me... I just knew he was goin' to attack any second!!!

DSC01647.jpg

... but he didn't! *whew!*

NOT YET, DAWGY,

not yet.......

Take your hat off so they have a shiny place to land.

For the record, what kinda cat was that?

solopaddler Posted Today, 04:41 AM

Yeah, it's not really a bullhead right?

Ameiurus Nebulosus (brown bullhead)

I just thought it was the world record until I saw this one...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...3US236%26sa%3DX

... but it's still a darn fine specimen eh!!! ;)

"mangling my thumb not unlike a baby Muskrat on meth would do!!!" I do so enjoy your unique way of describing things! You were out on the water on a nice day and caught fish..I am feeling just a wee bit envious! thanks Glen

That was the rhum talkin', not me Sis... you and Bubba Cliff are welcome down here any time!!!

Take your hat off so they have a shiny place to land

I may not have much... but I still have a head of hair!!!

... don't tell me you're suffering from the dreaded MPB?!!!

Moosebunk Posted Today, 08:33 AM

Nice to see the ole' guy can still get some fish.

That hurt my feelings, the first time I was called ole... but that wasn't the first time! ;)

Bernie Posted Today, 11:26 AM

Hey....OPEN WATER!!!! Think I can make it there by morning. Might have to speed a little.

Have some pancakes ready and I will bring the maple syrup.

Thanks Coach. Nice pics and fish!

The batter mix is in the bowl!!!... just waitin' on you to show up before I add the milk and eggs!

... bring lotsa syrup! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the kind words y'all!!!