Question about minnows!

charlied

Ok....if i kill and salt minnows from the niagara river....am I allowed to transport them and fish with them in the Bancroft area? Any help appreciated.... I am having a hard time finding very small minnows around that area.....also where can I purchase pinhead or small minnows that i am able to transfer....thanks guys!

Edited by charlied

thanks for clearing that up clampet,i wish the MNR would take out adds in the fishing mags and on the TV, :dunno: shows to get the message out,will the americans know about this??? i doubt it they have to get the word out or this will spread all over and will have a huge effect on our prized gamefish.. :unsure: ..we should all be worried :( and try to tell eveyone we know who goes fishing with live bait about this guys ...

I would think the fact that the minnows are dead plus the salt's disinfecting qualities

would eliminate the virus from being transfered to live baitfish.

From what I understand, MNR is concerned about transfering live baitfish only.

I believe rules are just developing on this. New stuff stateside too - that kinda came about towards end of open water season. Dead bait should, technically be safe ... but the way things are, for anglers trying to stay legal and for fisheries health, the best (certainly simplest) is to not transport bait at all and buy it at the nearest place to your destination.

Pete

Dont wanna hijack the thread .. but along the same lines has anyone stopped at the Petrocan north of BPS on the 400 ... they have been a pretty major supplier of minnows for the Lake Simcoe crowd and others heading north ... are they still selling minnows (I believe they would qualify as being in the BUFFER zone)

Thanks

" Petrocan north of BPS on the 400 ... they have been a pretty major supplier of minnows for the Lake Simcoe crowd and others heading north "

I guess the question is

where does he get his minnows from

if he buys them from a northern supplier then no problem but, if he get them from the south, he has a problem and he is on the north lanes of a divided hiway, so people picking up minnow have to go north...sure could be a problem

Charlied try going to stones live bait half way between burleigh falls and apsley. He usually has a huge selection of sizes and types of minnows.

Thanks addicted...thats what I wanted....is this place located right on hwy 28 or do I have to get off on a side road, you wouldn't happen to have a phone number maybe...LOL

Minnows harvested anywhere south of hwy 503 in haliburton cannot be used north of the 503. That said, Minden Live Bait and Tackle (north of the 503) does have small Simcoe shinners and is allowed to sell them this year only has his supplier's ponds are on the north side of 503 and will filled prior to the restricts.... get'em while they last!..... remember to start carrying a receipt for any minnows purchased as you may be asked if stopped by the MNR.

Take care and good Fish'n... Greg.

Well considering that is a good hour out of the way one way I may be just using artificials and scent, I can't see anything good with waisting 20 bucks in gas to find out that you have to pay a ton for minnows or that there may not be any there.....this sucks! Thanks for the info but $30-50 in costs for a couple dozen minnows is outragious (gas included)

yes guys the situation is not looking good... there is going to be lots of problems about where people got their bait from..if you dont have a reciipt they might charge you..its gonna cause chaos......hope things get better and this will not spread or we have alot more to worry about than where we bought are minnows from :(

Really good point Slayingm ... jeeze I dont know if Ive ever seen a receipt for minnows .. I thought it was a strictly cash business :) :) :)

The question is ... if the vendor sells you the minnws ... but you are using them .... who's to blame .... and does the receipt offer any proof other than perhaps you DID buy them from a place you shouldnt have ... sounds like a real can of worms to me .... oh wait ... maybe thats the answer ..... time to corner the red wiggler market ...

As a trivial point, it's not the first province that went that route of issuing a "receipt" for minnows. When I was stationed in MB in the early'90's, you had to have a filtered try again please issued from the minnow supplier, and that filtered try again please was only good for 3 days, after that, salt the minnows.

Actually a reciept for minnows was a good idea even before the VHS problem. You are not allowed to possess more than 40 self caught minnows. If you have more than 40 minnows, then yuo better have a reciept regardless of where they came from.

It's even more important to have a reciept to prove that you purchased the minnows in the right location. Not the wrong location as suggested earlier ... the is a reason for the rules.

From my understaing talking to bait shop owners the new regulations ONLY apply to commercial harvesters and transporters of bait not fishermen,. From what i have read it is ok for fishermen to transport baitfish from anywhere in the province to a virus free zone. probably not a good idea but legal

"We’re asking all anglers and bait fish dealers in the affected areas to help slow down the spread of VHS to protect fish species by observing the necessary restrictions on the transport and use of live bait fish this winter."

And John...you are allowed to trap and possess 120 minnows if you possess an Ontario RESIDENT fishing licence.