Favourite Holiday meal

fishingisliving

I am big fan of beef, dry aged beef! I am treating my family to a dry aged Prime Rib Roast this year slow cooked to medium rare perfection "au jus" sauce on the side... with garlic n' cheese patatoes, buttered Scallops, fresh greens and a few bottles of Barolo.

this meal makes me forget about the gifts...

What are you cooking for the big holiday meal this year?

Love the quality dry aged prime rib, however I am saving it for new year.

Nothing like a large (very large) juicy turkey. The best bit is the turkey sandwiches with stuffing and cranberry, the turkey curry with basmati rice, the turkey soup........you get the idea.

Nice taste in red wine by the way!

our house is always pretty busy around the holidays..we do generally a turkey dinner on Christmas Day, on Boxing Day we always have a big open house for friends and family with a virtual buffet going on, we have relatives from out of town so they don't usually bring anything because of travelling, but most bring a pot luck dish and the wife and I whip up a bunch of stuff both hot and cold.

This year for the turkey dinner, I am preparing it a little different, and making a nice Turkey Ballentine

to prepare you you have to be a bit handy with a sharp knife..... take your whole turkey,flip it upside down and make a slice down the centre, then slowly with a sharp fillet knife you start working the knife so you are getting the meat separated from the breast bone, next step is to remove the whole breast bone leaving the meat intact, you will also need to separate the bones from the "drummy" part of the wings, and also the thigh...leaving the tip of the wings and the drumstick of the leg bones intact and still attached to the bird...then you carefully pull out the breast bones, leaving you with a pretty much boneless turkey except for the wing tips and drumstick on the leg.

You then remove as much of the dark meat from the carcass as you can and place aside...

next you will need....1 cup of finely chopped celery, and 1 cup of finely chopped green onions or chives,approx 2 lbs of ground pork or sausage meat(can be substituted for any game you may have on hand like venison or moose for example)..you will need 2 eggs,1 cup of bread crumbs,1 cup of heavy cream,1 cup of red wine,1tbs chopped rosemary....in a food processor or blender you mix all the ingredients together with the dark meat from the turkey, when it is all mixed well together, you take the mixture and put it back inside the turkey...fold it back together and use twine or trussing pins to hold the turkey back together...you flip back over right side up, and what you have is what looks like a whole intact turkey all over again except that it is boneless now..and you pop in the oven and cook according to size as per what you woulkd normally cook a stuffed turkey for.

It's a good crowd pleaser when people see you just slice right through the middle of the turkey when they are expecting the bones inside.

It sounds like alot of work but it really isin;t if you are handy with a knife....it probably only takes like 10-15 minutes to debone the turkey.

in our extended family in town we have 5 or 6 households....and all of them feel the need to cook over the holidays, they all feel the need to cook turkeys! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Dont get me wrong i like getting together..but 5 turkeys or so...where's the originallity. Any of you have room for 2 more for prime rib??? :blush:

in our extended family in town we have 5 or 6 households....and all of them feel the need to cook over the holidays, they all feel the need to cook turkeys! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Dont get me wrong i like getting together..but 5 turkeys or so...where's the originallity. Any of you have room for 2 more for prime rib??? :blush:

that's exactly why I am taking the twist on traditional turkey dinner, we do stuff at our house and other family member's houses like 5-6 times easily out of the next 2 weeks say..and you are right, turkey gets a little same old..same old...I am doing it because we have 2..my wife gets a huge one from work every year..and my 5 year old won one at the Legion last weekend while I was out for the musky G2G, they where at a parade and went to the Legion for the turkey & ham roll, so I have a sort of extra turkey to play with..lol

Edited by jwl

In our household, what won't we be feasting on over the holidays?

Ooohh I can just picture the spread waiting for us..

Mom's from french decent so I'm expecting dozens of tourtiere (no lard, just moose), oodles of meatball ragu and pig's legs, mountains of mashed sweet potato.. butter tarts, mocha cakes, sweet marie squares...

And from Tanya's family, who's of Russian decent? Stuffed cabbages, Hot wine soup, beigli cake..

And carp fried in breadcrumbs!! :clapping:

Happy holidays gang!!

luv,

HD

Hmmm....lets start.....

Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey and turkey....plus my mom's stuffing, a great creation that my grandmother used to make called "glory salad" which is a jello salad with all of my fav veggies, potatos, duck, goose, too bad my mom stopped making a tortiere...so good

First off let me state...

I'm not a Christmas type guy...not that it wasn't a great time of year when I was a kid...but somewhere down the years something changed and I now usually go into a depression at this time...I've tried going back to church...psychiatrist...etc...all to no avail so I just try to live with it and not inflict myself on others...

28 years ago Maribeth came into my life and as we both had 4 children each fron previous marriages we began a tradition of serving Christmas breakfast and that left them and theirs to go their own way for dinner...(no in-law conflicts)...this lasted until we moved up here to Bobcaygeon...we now go over to my step-son's house for Christmas dinner (turkey and ham) in Innisfil Ont. (weather permitting), stay overnite then head down to Toronto on Boxing Day for Maribeth's family dinner which is held in a church hall as none of us has a house big enough to accomodate the whole mob (approx 70)...

Usually there is a turkey (or 2)...I am not a fan of turkey, but some of the Italian families in the group bring some of their specialities...(homemade pizza,pastas etc)

so I don't starve... :whistling:

If I had my druthers tho...that prime rib roast sure sounds great...

I'm not a fan of the dinners and such and this year I will be working all the holidays so they're out for me anyway. As Beans mentioned we used to have breakfast....mmmmm...what he didn't say was that most years it was eggs Benedict.....yummm...I still have that. This year it will be my dinner, and I am so looking forward to it :D

Maureen

Ooohh I can just picture the spread waiting for us..

Mom's from french decent so I'm expecting dozens of tourtiere (no lard, just moose), oodles of meatball ragu and pig's legs, mountains of mashed sweet potato.. butter tarts, mocha cakes, sweet marie squares...

And from Tanya's family, who's of Russian decent? Stuffed cabbages, Hot wine soup, beigli cake..

And carp fried in breadcrumbs!! :clapping:

Happy holidays gang!!

luv,

HD

You can have my share of the fried Carp (I think)... but could you please pass the cabbage rolls!!!... ooops! I didn't mean to take that many!... are you going to finish that cabbage roll???

In our household, what won't we be feasting on over the holidays?

Because our Christmas is a month long celebration, it is difficult to list all the food we will stuff ourselves with. Might need a couple of pages.

Dec. 6th was an open house with sil, swedish meatballs, devilled eggs, slaw, potato salad, pickled everything, and a mountain of fish. Desert was trifle, ice cream cake and X-mas cookies.

Tonight we have roast beef, baked chicken, baked squash, creamed peas, boiled new potatoes.

and in the week up to Christmas there is a special dish every day. Prime rib on the 25th. Turkey on the 26th. and a glazed ham Jan 1st.

Because our Christmas is a month long celebration, it is difficult to list all the food we will stuff ourselves with. Might need a couple of pages.

Dec. 6th was an open house with sil, swedish meatballs, devilled eggs, slaw, potato salad, pickled everything, and a mountain of fish. Desert was trifle, ice cream cake and X-mas cookies.

Tonight we have roast beef, baked chicken, baked squash, creamed peas, boiled new potatoes.

and in the week up to Christmas there is a special dish every day. Prime rib on the 25th. Turkey on the 26th. and a glazed ham Jan 1st.

if you folks are down my way again like last year on Boxing Day...don't be shy, bring the Ugli's and stop on into the mad house :w00t:

You can have my share of the fried Carp (I think)... but could you please pass the cabbage rolls!!!... ooops! I didn't mean to take that many!... are you going to finish that cabbage roll???

Tanya just corrected me about the carp. Apparently, it's boiled, then stuffed.. and then baked..

Doesn't that just sounds scrump-diddly-umptious?!!

I think I'll have another cabbage roll, spasibo!!

What about your missus dawg? Anything cajun?! :thumbsup_anim: