New Minnow Dispenser

danbo

I don't know if you can still get them...but for years I have used a Tupperware pickle container for small amounts of minnows ice fishing....it's a small conatiner..with a lid, and has a handy little lifter inside :Gonefishing:

I had a similar thing I made from a Tupperware juice container for carrying minnows while wading the Thames. Had a cord attached to it and to my belt so most of the time it was floating beside me in the river.

I think this 'minnow dispenser' thing could be pretty useful some times.

But I just can't buy anything if I think I can make one myself. :canadian:

LOL...... Now I have seen everything. With Lake Erie emerald shiners you will be dispensing a DEAD minnow just about every time.

Not true at all.

Guys in PA have been using these things (or ones very similar) for years on the rivers.

They work fabulously and coincidentally I finally broke down and bought one last week. :)

They serve 1 purpose: they allow you to carry around your minnows when you're on the stream without having to lug a bucket.

For those that don't know, live emerald shiners are a deadly bait for steelhead in the rivers.

Most guys Stateside use them especially in PA and OH.

For whatever reason, as advanced as the ontario guys are in the steelhead game minnows are a mostly unknown and unused bait.

I've been using them for almost 25 years and they've always been my ace in the hole..

(some of my bud's would flip if they saw this post :) )

For those that wade rivers for steelhead I'd highly recommend getting one of these things.

Solo, just to add o to your comments, Emerald shiners seem to be the primary food source here for the steelies. In the fall of the year the emerald shiners stack up along the breakwalls and other structure at the river mouths and also in the rivers themselves.

Mid to late October seems a key time, and if you see the shiners, the steelies are usually right near by, you can see them rolling or busting the shiners. They may? also herd them against the rocks and piers to trap them?

Seems like every one I have caught and chosen to eat and clean was full of them, but also some other young of other species, shad, perch, mostly emeralds though.

Just my opinion that everything here in the lake eats them because they are so common, some schools of them I have seen had to number in the millions.

Not true at all.

Guys in PA have been using these things (or ones very similar) for years on the rivers.

They work fabulously and coincidentally I finally broke down and bought one last week. :)

They serve 1 purpose: they allow you to carry around your minnows when you're on the stream without having to lug a bucket.

For those that don't know, live emerald shiners are a deadly bait for steelhead in the rivers.

Most guys Stateside use them especially in PA and OH.

For whatever reason, as advanced as the ontario guys are in the steelhead game minnows are a mostly unknown and unused bait.

I've been using them for almost 25 years and they've always been my ace in the hole..

(some of my bud's would flip if they saw this post :) )

For those that wade rivers for steelhead I'd highly recommend getting one of these things.

I use big shiners all the time in late winter for steelie fishin the big rover...drift a 3 way with a corkie set up...hence the use of my white twisters in my last 2 river reports

I use big shiners all the time in late winter for steelie fishin the big rover...drift a 3 way with a corkie set up...hence the use of my white twisters in my last 2 river reports

I know man, the Niagara and Port are like the only two places where they're commonly used.

How often do you see a floatfisherman using live minnows on the Bighead, Beaver, Notty, Saugeen, etc, etc?....

Pretty much never :) .

I don't know if you can still get them...but for years I have used a Tupperware pickle container for small amounts of minnows ice fishing....it's a small conatiner..with a lid, and has a handy little lifter inside :Gonefishing:

That's one way of getting your pickle to smell like fish.

I have used one of these for the past few years now from time to time. I use them at first ice when I am walking out all the time. What many people do is hang it by the strap inside your suit. The only problem that I have found is that the cap breaks quite quickly. A workaround is the black caps that come on the 1lb Coleman disposable propane tanks. Just stick one of those on once your lid breaks off. Which will be the first time you use it probably. I duck taped mine on for quite awhile, but then just switched to the propane tank lid. Once I am out with my fish trap, I usually just use a minnow bucket. Although I often have it with me incase I decide to go for a walk.

Jeff

Coleman Soup Thermos works great too. The big wide mouth model. Allow a regular minnow net to fit down in it.

Also rugged plastic. It can be banged around on the sled and stands up great.

Tip - Make sure to fill it full to the brim with water once minnows are in. If it is only partially full, the water will slosh around enough to kill a lot of minnows.

I have ridden all day on the snowmobile and still have had lively minnows at nightfall.

ice_001.jpg

hey I wonder if you can dump a pack of hooks in there...shake it all up and giver it a squeeze and everytime out pops one already on the hook for you :dunno::P maybe it could also double as a squirt bottle for washing of your used wunder boner :lol:

Edited by jwl

I dunno.....I'd break that in about 3 minutes fer sure!!!

Whats wrong with a bucket anyways??

Gimmick!!!

Sinker

Personally I don't enjoy lugging around a bucket when I'm steelhead fishing.

You just sling this thing around your neck, works great!

(Don't worry Dave (JDMLS), I highly doubt there's going to be a rush of guys using minnows on the trib's because of this thread :) )

Personally I don't enjoy lugging around a bucket when I'm steelhead fishing.

I wear plastic underwear, fill 'em up with water and dump in a bunch a minnas. Quite tickly and keeps your minnows from freezing. Then try asking someone else on the stream to help you get a chub out of your pants