Musky reels

muskyhunter5150

I suggest using the search function. This one has been hashed about many many times.

Depends on your budget and how many times you wanna make the purchase. The Shimano TE400/401 is always on top of the discussion and I find the Quantum Cabo CBC31PTs is a great reel as well (and about 1/2 the price) but not near as quiet or smooth as the TE.

Edited by irishfield

For crankbaits I find the Shimano TE's are about as good as it gets and the CT's are a close 2nd, but for jerkbaits, specially when your working them very fast and want to keep the bait below the surface, you want a faster reel for taking up the slack line in a hurry and for that purpose the large Abu 7000 works perfectly.

400 series reels will do the job, but your cranking twice as fast to keep the line tight and it gets pretty darned tiring after 10-12 hours of tossing 10" baits. The 7000 series reels have large spools that take up alot of line fast with every revolution and the power handle just makes life that much easier too.

It's tough to find one reel for all the different jobs, and if your budget allows, your better off with a few different set-ups.

I'm not a big casting type of guy for Muskie, but I have tried to do a bit more this season after talking to Lew :whistling: ......I have an Abu 6500C3 which has been a great reel for trolling and casting. I've had this reel for the past couple of years and have no complaints whatsoever, especially the price :thumbsup_anim: ...

For crankbaits I find the Shimano TE's are about as good as it gets and the CT's are a close 2nd, but for jerkbaits, specially when your working them very fast and want to keep the bait below the surface, you want a faster reel for taking up the slack line in a hurry and for that purpose the large Abu 7000 works perfectly.

400 series reels will do the job, but your cranking twice as fast to keep the line tight and it gets pretty darned tiring after 10-12 hours of tossing 10" baits. The 7000 series reels have large spools that take up alot of line fast with every revolution and the power handle just makes life that much easier too.

It's tough to find one reel for all the different jobs, and if your budget allows, your better off with a few different set-ups.

Lew would you be interested in a TE 400 6.2 ratio?

Look into the Shimano Cardiff if you haven't got the bucks for a Calcutta. I really like mine. Used one season on musky and pike, been through a lot of casting and if I took the line off the spool you wouldn't be able to tell it had ever been used.

I'm not a big casting type of guy for Muskie, but I have tried to do a bit more this season after talking to Lew :whistling: ......I have an Abu 6500C3 which has been a great reel for trolling and casting. I've had this reel for the past couple of years and have no complaints whatsoever, especially the price :thumbsup_anim: ...

Agreed same here. Thanks for posting, as I fiqured my reel was a cheapo compared to the above, felt ashamed and inferior because it only cost me $120 at CT

Guest steel'n'esox

Re Musky reels For trolling I use the Shimano Tecota 600 and 500Lcs, and the 400 calcutta both in ct and te models, I have a 25 year old 7000 that works as good as the day I got it, as Lew said it has great line pickup due to the large spool 16 feet of line pickup for each time the pawl runs across the spool, for even more pickup the 700 calcutta has 20 feet per pawl run.

Thanks for the replys I think I'll go with the Abu Garcia. But The other reel I was looking at was the Diawa millionare, Anyone have any experience with them?

I would bunch up the millionaire S and Classic's in with the ABU C series reels, the shimano corsairs belong in this group too. There's nothing refined about any of them but they work well and you'll be equally happy with any of them.

If you do go with the C3 or C4, the only differences between them are the gear ratios and the C4 has an extra bearing in the levelwind which will help it smooth out. When a reel goes past 5 ball bearings or so, they're put in places to make it feel smoother when you're reeling in but they won't make the reel cast better. More isn't always better but I think it makes a difference when you're comparing reels of equal build quality. It's most noticable when you're winding under a bit of a load. The C3 has slower gears, the C4 has a higher ratio for faster retrieves. For winding in hard pulling lures, you might want a slower reel and for fast topwater lures, you'll need a faster reel.

relating to another comment above.. The Daiwa Luna replaced the Millionaire CV-Z and the StCroix Avid casting reel is a reworked and rebranded version of the older Daiwa Millionaire CV-X (the CV-X preceeded the CV-Z). All 3 are all machined aluminum frame and sides. no forging or stamping.

I also bought a 301 Curado, low profile 6.2:1, for casting bucktails and topwater. I think there is a lot of skepticism about a low profile muskie reel but I'm going to give it a whirl. I believe this topic specifically has been discussed here on the OFC in the past and Pete Maina said he'd put one through its paces and it stood up. Time will tell.

Abu 6500

You can get them in left or right hand. I have 2 or 3 of them that are approaching 20 yrs of use. Still in excellent condition. You need to put new drag washers in every 6 or 7 yrs.

I use them with 65 LB Power Pro for big baits, and 17Lb Trilene Mono for bucktails.

Very solid reliable reel. Price is decent.

[email protected]

Speaking of Pete Maina, he has a low profile muskie reel now. I don't own one (yet) but I casted with one all day one day this summer and I was impressed. It's the same price as the round reel. That'll be on the list in my next dealings with BPS.

Ben, going on season 4 with low pro baitcasters (2x quantum cabo cbc31pts'). I use one for jerkbaits and one for topwaters and blade baits.. for s&gs, pulled dipseys with it too. they're doing well and you know the abuse our stuff goes through. i'm sure the 301 curado will be just fine.

Edited by Raf

I know it's probably not a popular choice for a musky reel but I find my high speed Curado DHSV works pretty well for picking up slack when working a Suick and great for burning smaller bucktails (ounce, maybe ounce and a half). Maybe big Bulldawgs might be a bit too much for it. I've got a C3 too, retrieve is slower but a good reel with pulling power.

I have a Curado 300 and worked it hard this year, I figure about 80% of the time I was muskie fishing, I had this reel in hand. I casted just about everything with it, crankbaits, topwater, jerkbaits, bucktails and I even trolled with it a couple times. Still works like it did on day one. Excellent reel. I may have to get another one for next year.

I need two more reels for next year, and on my short list are the Curado 300, Avid 300, Calcutta 400 TE, and an Ambassadeur 7000. I've heard great things about these reels, except for the Avid, I haven't heard much of anything about it. If Jim Saric uses the Avid, it can't be that bad.:thumbsup_anim:

I have had an abu 6501C3 for a few years and its been great. Generally fish with jerk baits, glide baits, and spinner baits. Probably not ideal for the bigger in-line spinners (esp those with two blades) as its more speed than power (i think?).

I have never had or tried a more serious musky reel and assume they are more smooth/enjoyable/whatever.....but for the moneyt he 6501C is a fantastic beginner reel.

I am wondering hiow much you guys with the 6500's fish muskies. They are not the most reliable reels and do break down. I have had a few over the eyars and they usually have to be repaired after 1 season. Good for the money but there are way better options out there especially for trolling. I have a Shimano Calcutta TE and love it, for trolling its hard to beat a big Penn

Ben, going on season 4 with low pro baitcasters (2x quantum cabo cbc31pts'). I use one for jerkbaits and one for topwaters and blade baits.. for s&gs, pulled dipseys with it too. they're doing well and you know the abuse our stuff goes through. i'm sure the 301 curado will be just fine.

Good to hear Raf. Can't wait to beat on our gear this summer when you guys come up to Lac Seul to chase muskies.