Musky reels

muskyhunter5150

I am wondering hiow much you guys with the 6500's fish muskies. They are not the most reliable reels and do break down. I have had a few over the eyars and they usually have to be repaired after 1 season. Good for the money but there are way better options out there especially for trolling. I have a Shimano Calcutta TE and love it, for trolling its hard to beat a big Penn

Only three to four weekends a year and i do very little trolling. Has worked flawlessly for 4 yrs.

I am wondering hiow much you guys with the 6500's fish muskies. They are not the most reliable reels and do break down. I have had a few over the eyars and they usually have to be repaired after 1 season. Good for the money but there are way better options out there especially for trolling. I have a Shimano Calcutta TE and love it, for trolling its hard to beat a big Penn

What would be a better option, especially if you do no trolling, similar price?

What would be a better option, especially if you do no trolling, similar price?

I would still recommend these at that price range. The C series reels are the de facto standard reel for trolling the big 50-75# west coast kings and also the big 100# cats in the southern states. When you go from BC and all up through alaska, you will see the C3 and C4 more than any other casting reel. There's a reason these models have been around longer than most other reels, furthermore, they're virtually unchanged from the earliest versions meaning there hasn't been much to improve on (the "new" carbon drag disc material, a thumb bar and what else?). I doubt there's another reel out there in this class that has a longer history with big fish.

just about every wknd ch. i don't use them for everything & common sense prevails.. they won't take the abuse of dbl 13 blades - thats what the 7001 is for. but for an entry level reel i'd recommend one in a heartbeat.

calcuttas are nice but no lefty in the 400 size unless you step up to the most expensive model.. for that price you get 3 or 4 6500/7000s.

I have 2 abus (C3 & C4) and I repair them both at least once every season. They work good when they're working, but I wouldn't say they're reliable. The price is right for a cheapo like me though! I've had them for quite some time now.....I'd guess around 7-8 seasons. Repairs are always cheap, quick and minor, but they always break down.

Sinker