Epic Quest For Chrome

solopaddler

So, last Thursday night my buddy Fergie calls me to say he can't make it Fri/Sat.

We had plans to head to Ohio to meet up with a friend of mine who lives down there for 2 days of fishing.

Looong drive when you're alone, so I decided against going.

Still, I had 2 free days. The kids were being dropped off at my sister's place for a sleepover and Joanne had things planned for both days herself. Couldn't possibly let this opportunity go to waste :) .

Friday morning I started locally at Port D. The browns had been hitting pretty good earlier in the week so I thought why not?

After arriving at the pier I noticed a familiar looking boat drifting in the current. Turned out to be a couple buddies of mine and they were more than happy to welcome me aboard. Excellent!

I've got no pic's to show you mainly 'cause I didn't catch anything :P . That's the way she goes sometimes!

While I was with them the other boys caught a couple of browns and 1 lake trout though, but it certainly wasn't fast and furious.

I did have a fat female brown on and right up to the side of the boat before the hook pulled free.

Around 11am I said my goodbyes and left the boys drifting. I shot home, packed the car and hit the hwy north. Suddenly I had an urge to fish the Saugeen :) .

I figured it would be good as I'd heard a couple of reports that the water was up, in prime shape and the fish were in.

The only concern was rain. I drove through a literal monsoon approaching Southampton and it never stopped from that point on.

I arrived at 4:30pm so I didn't have much time to waste. I quickly donned my waders and headed to the dam.

Not a spot I normally bother with, but time was of the essence..

The river was up, slightly off coloured and just rippin'.

In the rainy, murky gloom I saw 3 guys with fish on at the same time, rods dancing and bucking as they struggled to follow these fresh powerhouse fish downstream.

I managed to squeeze into a spot and with about 30 mins of light left my float shot under and I was suddenly attached to a bolt of lightning. The fish, a good one, shot through the tailout and sped downriver through another riffle before I could blink.

Stumbling after it as best I could the fish made one wild leap and spit the hook...

Ah well...

I snapped a quick pic of the pool before the rain and approaching darkness drove me from the river:

GeorgianBayNov2008002.jpg

Now I had decision to make, what to do?

The 'geen is one of my favourite rivers, but with all the rain I was afraid Saturday might be a write off.

Rather than potentially be faced with blown conditions I decided to head east to Georgian Bay.

Those rivers (the smaller ones at least) would be a much safer bet in my experience...

Pulled into town around 8pm, checked into a motel, wolfed down some fast food and a beer and passed out.

The next morning I arrived at the mouth of the river in darkness.

As best I could tell the water was up and off coloured but definitely fishable.

Already both banks were lined with guys fishing with small glowsticks on their floats.

I walked over to the east side and found a nice flat rock to stand on..

Now this is cool :) . It was really still too dark to see my float, but I couldn't resist lobbing a cast out anyway.

I threw it out there blindly, and after about 10 seconds I feel this huge tug on my line.

I thought it was one of guys across from me that I was entangled with. Great start I thought..

I slowly pull back (no hook set) and a fish erupted right in front of me apparantly attached to the end of my line.

Great start indeed :) .

GeorgianBayNov2008003.jpg

Ended up doing quite well. Without getting into numbers it was by far the best day I've had up there in a while.

Didn't get a ton of pic's, but I did get a few:

GeorgianBayNov2008004.jpg

GeorgianBayNov2008005.jpg

GeorgianBayNov2008008.jpg

GeorgianBayNov2008010.jpg

GeorgianBayNov2008009.jpg

GeorgianBayNov2008006.jpg

I just bought a smoker last week and decided that I'd keep a couple of these chrome beauties to try out.

Near the end of the day I dispatched a couple and filleted them up.

Check out the meat, yum!

GeorgianBayNov2008007.jpg

Fantastic couple of days even being solo!

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................................How's the new stick?? :whistling:

Well I only used it at the Saugeen, it's a big water stick as you know, so can't really say.

Incredible power for such a thin blank that's for sure...

I'll give you the definitive rundown after the Michigan trip this week.

Very nice Mike all the driving and solo trip payed off. Never leave home without a glow stick. :) I miss river fishing bows it's been a while, but I use to be a night hawk when everyone was leaving I was just showing up with a pocket full of glow sticks and they hit all night long from dusk till dawn.