Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Musky Rod

Rich

I love my Ugly Stiks, though I always figured anything heavy enough for musky would be far too heavy for me to be lobbing big baits on all day. I know the Ugly Stik Lite series rods are pretty light. Was wondering if anyone has the Tiger Lite series rods and are they worth it for musky fishing?

I really don't want to hear a rant on buying St Croix or other incredibly expensive musky rods. I fish musky twice a year so I'm happy with an inexpensive, yet effective musky rod.

If anyone has low priced, durable alternatives I'd like to hear them. I had a BPS Graphite Series musky rod but as temps dropped last fall, the ceramic guides began to fall apart.

I have one and love it Rich!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It chunks the big baits real good!... it's a BWCL 2200 7' rated for 14-40 lb. test and I believe 3-6oz lure weight.

If I ever catch a Musky on it, I'll let you know how it handles the big fish... but first I gotta catch one on it. :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

ya shoulda learned the first time what happens when you try to go cheap on a rod (guides on bps rod). now you're looking to spend that again, when you could have bought a shimano compre or st. croix premiere for the same amount the first time. just my opinion but, do yourself a favour and do it right the first (second) time. you're still young, hopefully 2x a year means at least 100 more times. :D some muskie rods double great for slop largemouth fishn too.

okuma has a nice line (evx muskie series) of rods, they are about half the cost of the premiere/compre. i have the 8'6" xh rod.. but they come in all the usual lengths, some telescopic. it's decent but the new 8'6 xh premiere i have is a better rod. i've only had the okuma one year so I cant comment on durability.

Edited by Raf

Well, the problem with inexpensive Muskie gear, rods, reels,etc. is that it doesn't stand up to the punishment it gets...You get what you pay for...

Well if mine blew up in the rod rack tonight while I'm sleepin', I'd still say it was a darn good rod and wouldn't hesitate to buy another exactly like!!! :Gonefishing:

Well you truly do need at least 2 musky rods, one for normal baits and one for huge baits if you use them, you can get away with using any extra heavy bass rod for any light musky baits with no problems, they work good especially flipping sticks. If not the okuma musky rods are good for the price or the shimano and then the st croix premier would be next. Musky rods are durable, usually you can find real good used ones in the classifieds for a lot cheaper but still function like new.

It all comes down to the baits, you need stiff rods for musky or the lures won't work correctly, usually cheap rods are not stiff at all and you'll have a hard time making the baits run good, and worst of all you won't get a good hook set if you do get into a big one. So you probably can find a cheap generic musky rod that will do good but just make sure it's stiff and only bends 2, 3rds up, not like your typical cheap rod that starts to bend rite at the cork.

There are less expensive alternatives out there, St Croix isn't the only muskie rod out there. That said I do love mine to pieces along with my Loomis jerkbait rod. Over at JB's, you can pick up an Okuma for under a hundred bucks and from what I've heard from a couple of people that have them, they are a VERY VERY NICE ROD FOR THE DOUGH RAY ME. Daiwa also has their Heartland Series of muskie rods that are not to bad. It all depends on a)how much money you have and b)how much money you are willing to part with.

Rich I am running 4 ugly stick rods for musky (for troling now but did cast them when I first started and cound not afford a $$$ rod) they have brought in some very large fish and I have yet to have a problem with them they are not the lite one's but they will stand up to anything my biggest fish have all come in with no problem at all. I must also say that they will not break when someone cranks the drag down on a snag Ugly stik's are great rods dont be afraid of them just get one that is rated for musky size.

I also have a shimano and Gander mountain rod they are both great rods to but for what you need save the $$$ on the rod and get alot better reel, 2X a year you dont need a $150 rod and $150 reel sitting there just a $40 rod and $150 reel LOL

Here's some reviews on the Tiger Lite rod from the Cabela's site:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...roductid=120975

For $60 you can't go wrong!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I've used mine to push the boat off of rocks, fended off an 8'Alligator, and flogged a couple obnoxious bass tourney fishermen with it! :stretcher:;)

I got my 1-piece 7 foot Pete Maina from ... lets call him the musky king (LEW).... a few years back .. and although I paid a little extra for the totally AWESOME Calcutta CT 400B reel ... I must say it has been a fabulous rig ... even if we are still waiting for our first 50 +

Edited by camillj

ya shoulda learned the first time what happens when you try to go cheap on a rod (guides on bps rod). now you're looking to spend that again, when you could have bought a shimano compre or st. croix premiere for the same amount the first time. just my opinion but, do yourself a favour and do it right the first (second) time. you're still young, hopefully 2x a year means at least 100 more times. :D some muskie rods double great for slop largemouth fishn too.

okuma has a nice line (evx muskie series) of rods, they are about half the cost of the premiere/compre. i have the 8'6" xh rod.. but they come in all the usual lengths, some telescopic. it's decent but the new 8'6 xh premiere i have is a better rod. i've only had the okuma one year so I cant comment on durability.

Actually I learned my lesson the last time I dropped big bucks on a rod, albeit it was a flippin' stick. St Croix shattered to pieces on the 3rd hookset.

Thanks for the input and alternatives guys.. am now seriously looking into the Okumas. I've been impressed with their other products in the past. Good quality and mid-prices.

Edited by Rich