Winter Tires....Need Some Help (NF)

Tarzan's Jane

I think I'd be staying away from Crappy Tire 'el cheapos,' Bridgestone Blizzak' or anything with the Michelin name are a good choice. And get 'REAL' snow tires, the 'ALL SEASON' type, in most instances, are only marginally better than 'summer' tires! With front wheel drive I've used 'ALL SEASON' tires for over 30 years in Toronto, and general area with no problems, but there's a lot more snow to contend with in your area, thus the recommend for 'REAL' snow tires! If you have a garage, with a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic where you get your regular maintenance done, it MIGHT cost a few bucks extra, but get their opinion on what you should get, THEN compare prices elsewhere. If the price is pretty close, go with YOUR mechanic! If you don't know your tires, you'll end up with tires that the tire specialty shop can make the best bucks on, not what's best for you!

Hi Nancy, I noticed you're from Russell. There's a good tire shop just south of you in Morewood. Not sure of the name of the shop, but it's right at the main intersection on the south/west corner. They have reasonable prices and they will set you up with the right tire.

Hi Nancy,

Your car takes a 195/65/15 winter tire (I have the same car), if you are looking for steel rims, let me know there is a local TDI forum I am a member of where you can pick some up for real cheap.

I have been running the cheapy WinterMark's from Walmart for the last 3 seasons and have no complaints... The Nordics from Canadian Tire are also good. One thing to remember, the best all season doesn't even compare to the worst snow tires...

Also, if you have any questions about your car, please feel free to ask, I'm a TDI nut :)

Edited by BillM

I would recommend the Michelin X-Ice. For the first time I put on a set of winter tires last year. I was expecting a noisy, rumbling ride due to the aggressive tread pattern but was pleasantly surprised. They were quieter than my all seasons.

Grip on snow and ice compared to the all seasons was amazing.

I would suggest you also buy some winter rims and keep the tires on them and swap them out with the seasons.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

IMHO, decide which is more important to you - handling the ice or pushing through the snow.

I have found the Blizzaks to be very good on the ice, but not as good in deeper snow.

I found the x-ice to be a little less effective on the ice, but better in the snow.

My last company car (A4) had Continentals on it and I was plesantly surprised how well they did with both ice and snow.

Either way you go, put them on as late as possible and yank them off as soon as possible.

:-)

I drive a 2003 Jetta TDI and need to get ready for winter.

The flyer for Canadian Tire has some on sale this week although as I said I have no clue what type to get.

Your help is appreciated.

Nancy

If you want to do your "own" research the following website has some execellent information, especially the user reviews. It was even recommended by the Toronto Star as a good place to get tire information.

www.tirerack.com

Also if you can nip across to Niagra Falls the savings can be HUGE over Canadian prices. For some reason Canadian Tire dealers just are not giving us comparable pricing yet.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I agree with ccmt. I bought the Canadian Tire Nordic's for my Toyota Matrix last year when they were on sale and I am satisfied with them. I wanted to get the Michelin X-Ice because of better reviews but the price was around $192/tire without rims. I saved a bundle on the Nordics which also had good reviews. All season tires just don't cut it when the going gets tough in winter.

Tom.

Also if you can nip across to Niagra Falls the savings can be HUGE over Canadian prices. For some reason Canadian Tire dealers just are not giving us comparable pricing yet.

We canadian tire dealers have never seen the advantage of the stronger dollar from the tire manufacters.

but as far as snow tires are concerned you usually get what you pay for, the cheapos work better than all seasons but can't hardly be compared to michelin,bridgestone or continental, a good middle of the road tire is the bfg slalom.

vw tdi i would use blizzak lm-25 or michelin primacy alpin, most of the vw have an h-speed rating and keeping that rating maintains your load rating as well as your handling and braking.

I have been using lm-25 last couple seasons and they work real well, never been stuck on the road yet and i commute lindsay to scarborough everyday

I've owned a few different brands/models and hands down the best snow tire are Nokian Hakkapellitas. They make driving in the white stuff actually fun. I used to own an all-wheel drive sports car and with these on, it would go places it really should not have.

Make sure whatever you decide to go with, they have the following symbol on them

sse_small.png

otherwise they are not true snows but rather a/s tires.

Edited by Raf

It is never a good idea to cheap out on snow tires.

This is a good place to ask opinions and here is mine :blahblah1:

After spending some serious money on a new car and we lived up north with lots of distance highway winter driving a good set of snows made sense.

Canadian Tire had a sale soon after on winter rims.

This was the biggest nightmare ever and here is why: The rims were out of balance brand new out of the box.

The wheel nuts failed to hold their torque. :angry:

So after spending money mounting and balancing etc. I returned the rims for a full refund. Tire dealer was never able to get the tires to balance properly.

After speaking with several people they shared the same experience with C-Tire rims.

The winter tire we use is Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip UG GW2. These are high performance winter tires designed for all conditions and are used on OPP Police vehicles and the military.

Now we just swap rubber on the Aluminum rims fall and spring.

Tire dealer told us we could get another set of OEM Aluminum rims for our car and have the winter tires mounted on them but I dont have $1500.00 to waste on that :blink: even from the wreckers.

Choose wisely cheaper is not always better ;)

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews/Goody...re_reviews.html

Seems our model has been replaced with a newer 3 series.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartires...=&sidewall=

Also available in a run flat. How neat is that. :D

Edited by JeffBornFishin

We canadian tire dealers have never seen the advantage of the stronger dollar from the tire manufacters.

I can believe that friends of mine who work in the industry say the same thing.... However, if someone can save themselves 3 to 4 hundred bucks on a set of tires and rims by going to the U.S. they owe it to themselves to do so!!!! One reason the cheaper prices aren't available in Canada is that we accept that they aren't!!!!

I got a laugh when one tire dealer here wouldn't sell a friend a set of tires for the same price as he could get in the U.S. the dealer said that the cost was higher to him than the U.S. was charging. My bud said that is OK I am going to get them in the U.S. and you will have to look after the warranty.... The dealer claimed he WOULD NOT do that. The manufacturer "explained" to the dealer that yes he would fix any warranty problems and like doing it too, or they would pull their tires from his shop. Talk about playing both ends against the middle LOL....

The replacement GW3 model comes in your size, Nancy. If they perform anything like the previous version, you'll be thrilled.

My street has a really nasty hill at the end. It's a block and a half of 45 degree incline, and has (here's brilliance!) a 4-way stop right at the base of it. It's long, it's steep, and you get absolutely no run at this thing. To add to the fun, it's a quiet little street - sanders & snowplows don't pay much attention.

Running the previous GW2 version, my Saturn's walked up that hill in deep powder, wet packy stuff, and freezing rain. Never a problem, never had to back down and try again. More than I can say for some of my 4x4-driving neighbours. :whistling:

Unless you're going to jack the car up and swap tires yourself, a 2nd set of rims isn't worth it. Tires should be balanced when they're installed, so the car should be heading for a garage anyway.

You're already paying the tech to take the wheel off the car, balance the wheel, and put the wheel back on the car - the price for swapping the rubber is a negligible addition when you're mucking around in there anyway. May as well pay the shop a few extra bucks twice a year, rather than $$$ up front and then have to tip your chiropractor. :)

I personally LOVE Michelin X-Ice tires in the winter...had them on a similar sized vehicle and they're amazing! Other people swear by the Blizzak's, and I don't think you can go wrong either way. My dad made the mistake of getting the Canadian Tire ones, 'cause "they looked the same!". When the temperature dropped, they firmed right up and were pretty useless for him.

My vote for the Jetta: X-ice!

I put four 205-55-16's on for $700 taxes in, no rims. I don't THINK the tires on your Jetta are as low profile as that, so you might be able to do a bit cheaper.

Good luck :)

Edited by johnnyb

Whatever snow tire you end up getting Nancy make sure you put 4 on. Lots of people have made the mistake of 2 only and ended up in the bush. Snow tires give you an amazing amount of traction in comparison to all-seasons. Your vehicle has most of its weight on the front tires which gives you more traction up there normally. If you dont have snows on the back there can be a tendency to lose traction in a turn or hard braking. But it's harder to feel it going to happen because the front feels so good with the snows.

No one has mentioned the Kumho KW19. They work very well and are generally quite a bit less money. I use Wintermarks on my F150 and have been more than pleased with them. Sometimes you do pay more for the name. Blizzacks I find wear too quickly but they do work very well the first Winter (this will depend on how much you drive). Personally I find most Michelins too soft on the sidewalls but that's most likely because I like crisp steering.

Edited by Bernie

the nordic track (think thats it) from canadian tire thats on sale 25% right now are very good tires.

just remember 3 things...

1)only use snow tires in the winter as they will wear down super fast in the summer

2)the "tire guys" say that even the cheapest snow tire will provide more traction than premium all season tires

3)you must get 4 tires. 2 snow tires on one end and 2 all seasons on the other = accident waiting to happen