6000 KM Adventure Part #2 (PICS)

Basskicker

After our wedding we drove 7 hours northeast to the 49th worlds largest fresh water lake Rainy Lake. I would really like to thank Vince of Amik Lodge.... first class guy and operation. He has 3 cabins located on the northeast arm of rainy lake about 45 minutes north of Fort Frances. The cabins are new (4 years) and the boat's are brand new 2008 and an unbeatable price. $1000.00 for 2 including cabin, boat, motor,gas, bait. The deal was great, but the hospitality was even better. Vince took me out fishing to show me the spots to fish, made our stay enjoyable and even let us borrow a DVD player and a selction of movies to watch. :thumbsup_anim:

Amik Lodge

This is what we arrived to after another long drive....

46c240d1.jpg

507ccd28.jpg

39e9639f.jpg

The next morning we ventured out on this massive body of water in search of walleye...not to be disappointed we caught a few fish dragging jigs with a nightcrawlers in 15-28 ft of water. I am definitely NOT a walleye fisherman but I caught the bug after catching my new P.B the very first night...a respectable 27.5" fish.

c8c8e8bc.jpg

b005246c.jpg

One of the beautiful sunsets for the week

93a8c790.jpg

0696f046.jpg

The next day...Andrea caught her new P.B. walleye as well...it was so funny...she thought she snagged on a rock, you should have seen her just reefing on the rod when all of sudden the rock MOVED and all hell broke loose.

4da34ab7.jpg

She also caught another beauty the same day.....

c652db91.jpg

It was so hot during the day and the sunsets were incredible every night

a177890a.jpg

48059bca.jpg

e26ecd57.jpg

Some more scenery shots...Rainy lake is a true gem....accessible by road but in 7 days we probably saw less than 20 boats.

38e01b57.jpg

3e0d6624.jpg

4e7ad982.jpg

8f93ee1d.jpg

I was shocked to see this Pelican...there was hundreds of them around.

739cf6d2.jpg

We went for a short drive one day and came across a section of dead tree's full of bald eagles....I must have spent a good 15 minutes taking pictures...trying to get close. The wing span of these birds are incredible....very cool.

32af6c88.jpg

6b13a478.jpg

787839a6.jpg

One more sunset

fa7a2784.jpg

c0230695.jpg

Our honeymoon was awesome as the week ended we had to decide to stay or leave. We both decided to take a drive up to Nestor Falls on Lake of the Woods. We looked into doing a fly-in fishing trip....our first ever. After checking out a couple of places...the decision was made. We rushed back to Amik Lodge to start packing for an adventure of a life time.

Edited by Basskicker

Great job on the PBs for both or you. Those are nice fish. Pics of the eagle are very cool.

I used to live in Winnipeg and there were thousands of pelicans there as well. They are enormous birds.

PS. Good job marrying a girl who fishes.

Fantastic report Jason!! Congrats on the PBs as well...those are some monster Walleye!

It's great to see the two of you having a good time like that one the water....maybe she'll fish with you more now??? hehe.

Cant wait for the follow up reports.....

Thanks guys.....I have to admit I am the luckiest guy on earth to be married to Andrea. She's from the Thunder Bay area originally...I have pictures of her with a fishing rod at the age of 5......when I saw that I knew she was the one.

I hate SPAM....however when I receive great service I like to tell people about it. Vince from Amik Lodge is a great guy and I would not hesitate to recommend his place. If I ever drive up that way again...I would stay there......if he's not booked solid already for 2009.

Jason

:wallbash: When I see those pics I find myself asking the same question over and over again... Why do I live in the confounded city when there is a world of beauty, just up the road a ways!

Congrats on your nuptials, she's definitely a keeper and thanks for the report!

HH