Bly's PB Smallmouth Bass!

ccmtcanada

Last night we headed out to a local shore spot to see if we could hook into a few fish. The carp still seem to be spawning, so instead of trying for them, we decided to see if more smallies were in the area. I caught a fair sized one there last week, so we rigged using the same setup. Live leeches on a jig, floating at a depth of about 6 to 7 feet. The waters were pretty stained with only about 12 inches of visibility. I caught a few rock bass, but nothing big.

Soon after we got there, Bly's float goes down!! She tells me "I've hooked into something...a sheepie? Maybe a bass!" The thing fought pretty hard, not wanting to come to the surface. Finally, her PB comes up....measured in at 19.75". We didn't have a scale so no weight estimate.

193quarterspbsmallie.jpg

Any weight guesstimates out there???

Edited by ccmt

Awesome fish Bly!!!!

CCMT - I've only ever caught fish that big on the state side of Erie and they're usually FAT PIG's over there. I've seen 22 inchers weigh anywhere from 5.5 to 7 lbs depending on how fat they were.

I bet it's at least 4 lbs though. Next time take a girth measurement so you can figure it out! I'd be curious to see some weights. I think some people would be suprised at how much some bass weigh - and how little some pike weigh....Pike are probably the #1 fish to be "over-guesstimated".

Again, nice catch Bly - to most people that'd be a fish of a lifetime!

Cheers,

UF