$430 fine while fishing on Scugog this weekend

Want

recieved one of those 2009 Ladies of The Lake Calendars myself on Simcoe Sunday

wonderful-gesture

yah--zero tolerance!

nice give away piece--they do terrific work those Ladies

would have liked the daughters of The Ladies of The Lake edition better--clearly not going into the work shop

will make a terrific stocking-stuffer for some one in the family

Play Safe

I've been stopped by the OPP in the boat twice, once on the kawarthas and once in Dunnville. They were always very nice to us, joked around a bit. Even gave us some Crime Stoppers spoons once.

Never was I asked for proof of ownership of my boat, but fishing license yes.

Once almost got nailed for not having a bail bucket on board, so I dumped the water out of my 1 litre jug and said is that good enough. He said yep that'll do buddy!

I hope I never run into that ownership thing. I don't have it, can't get it. Hopefully the OPP will understand the situation. I like to think they are understanding if you are polite and co-operative with them.

I've been stopped by the OPP in the boat twice, once on the kawarthas and once in Dunnville. They were always very nice to us, joked around a bit. Even gave us some Crime Stoppers spoons once.

Never was I asked for proof of ownership of my boat, but fishing license yes.

Once almost got nailed for not having a bail bucket on board, so I dumped the water out of my 1 litre jug and said is that good enough. He said yep that'll do buddy!

I hope I never run into that ownership thing. I don't have it, can't get it. Hopefully the OPP will understand the situation. I like to think they are understanding if you are polite and co-operative with them.

I could very well be wrong on this Rich, but I don't think you need registration if your under 10HP. If there is no numbers on your boat, you won't have a registration certificate anyways....no?

Sinker

Gotcha Sinker, so I'll be fine. I only run a 9.9 and yeah no numbers on the Filth Hound, rumour has it from my dad that at the time my grandfather bought it, it was a "car topper". That's why the hull is so shallow and why the skeg on the bottom cracked from having a motor mounted while the boat was on a trailer.

Whew, load off my chest. I was kinda worried, lol

Guest lundboy

No boat registration needed for under 10hp.

You may be asked to prove ownership though, and this is done with a copy of the bill of sale.

yeah pretty much.....you're gonna get it dropped anyway....either they'll reduce the fine or they may drop one tag and have you plead guilty to the other. Your best option is set up a meeting with the crown prosecutor....it's one of your option on the back of the provincial offence notice.

That's what I did today. Called the court in Whitby and talked to the Prosecutor's office administator. By the way she was very helpful. She told that this is a regular occurence and that a lot of people don't know that the license must be on the boat at all times. Anyway a copy of my tickets haven't reached the court yet so I have to talk to her again on Wednesday and set up a date with the prosecutor. I will have 2 options:

1) The Prosecutor will decide what the fine should be and if I agree to his/her terms, I go to trial that day, pay the pre-agreed amount and it's over.

2) If I disagree with the Prosecutor's terms, I can then set a trial date.

I'm hoping this whole thing blows over within the next 3 weeks or so.

That's what I did today. Called the court in Whitby and talked to the Prosecutor's office administator. By the way she was very helpful. She told that this is a regular occurence and that a lot of people don't know that the license must be on the boat at all times. Anyway a copy of my tickets haven't reached the court yet so I have to talk to her again on Wednesday and set up a date with the prosecutor. I will have 2 options:

1) The Prosecutor will decide what the fine should be and if I agree to his/her terms, I go to trial that day, pay the pre-agreed amount and it's over.

2) If I disagree with the Prosecutor's terms, I can then set a trial date.

I'm hoping this whole thing blows over within the next 3 weeks or so.

Want, not sure how bad the wait time is in Durham Region, but in York Region you're looking at 9 months until you can do that......which is good and bad...good in a sense that you won't have to pay a cent until then...bad because you have to wait. Usually the crown is pretty good, if you're honest and don't argue with them. They'll help you out.

hey man thats sucks to hear you got charged. I understand they have to do there job but you should've said no to them boarding your boat cause they are consenting to search and you have dont nothing wrong for them to board. If you said no they aren't allowed to board unless you are suspicious or have probable cause. Btw a flashlight is required cause its just smart to have one but for ownership depends on the boat you have.

hey man thats sucks to hear you got charged. I understand they have to do there job but you should've said no to them boarding your boat cause they are consenting to search and you have dont nothing wrong for them to board. If you said no they aren't allowed to board unless you are suspicious or have probable cause.

Agreed 100%. If the cops ask to board your boat, tell em to buzz off, end of story. They had no probable cause.

"Zero Tolerance" is the name of the game out there this year........

Your contribution will enable them to spend another day keeping our waterways safe....so, THANK YOU, to you!!!

Those were the days of old forrest... they Need to show up now.. Lost revenue may be the answer..

Nope, before cops weren't paid to go to court, it was done on their regular shift time, there was no incentive for them to show up on days off or stick around for minor tickets.

Now they receive court overtime to pad their already inflated salary. There's MORE incentive for them to write as many tickets as they can, seeing as they can pad their salary up to 50% with extra overtime. There are Peel, Toronto & OPP traffic cops making 40k, 50k, 60k extra, just from overtime. Heck one of the highest paid people in the Toronto Police Services is a traffic constable pulling in almost $150k a year from writing mostly bogus tickets.

You've seen the threads. Everyone wants the OPP, CCG and the MNR to be present and do their job but when it comes time to inspecting YOUR boat, it's a different story. Why is that?

i was wondering.......will it not affect your automobile driving record........

i was told that any infraction on the water results in have the infraction sit on your driving record......which in turn could affect your insurance premiums......

yes this isnt a moving violation....but some insurance companies really dont care if it is or not.....

just wondering

Agreed 100%. If the cops ask to board your boat, tell em to buzz off, end of story. They had no probable cause.

While in theory, this is probably true. The fact that you are giving the cops so much trouble about boarding your boat, they will board it and claim you are being suspicious. You can't really win with cops... :wallbash:

Nope, before cops weren't paid to go to court, it was done on their regular shift time, there was no incentive for them to show up on days off or stick around for minor tickets.

Now they receive court overtime to pad their already inflated salary. There's MORE incentive for them to write as many tickets as they can, seeing as they can pad their salary up to 50% with extra overtime. There are Peel, Toronto & OPP traffic cops making 40k, 50k, 60k extra, just from overtime. Heck one of the highest paid people in the Toronto Police Services is a traffic constable pulling in almost $150k a year from writing mostly bogus tickets.

since when? traffic court is scheduled on your day shifts....i don't get paid extra, in fact if I don't have a reason to miss court i can get fined........as for the OPP they have to go to court on their day shifts...

as for bogus tickets...how is it bogus if a driver does something wrong and gets caught????

Edited by FishnNAutographs

i was wondering.......will it not affect your automobile driving record........

i was told that any infraction on the water results in have the infraction sit on your driving record......which in turn could affect your insurance premiums......

yes this isnt a moving violation....but some insurance companies really dont care if it is or not.....

just wondering

nope....unless it's impaired...at least that's my understanding. as for insurance companies...they don't find out about your driving record unless you change your insurance and they really don't care unless you lose points.

thats a bit of a grey area in a boat you lose your drivers license for impaired in a boat, but you don't need a dl to operate a boat.

my insurance company doesn't watch points but convictions, two convictions for the same offence in 3 years 10% increase 3 convictions they cancel policy's

Edited by ecmilley

What exactly did the cop ask for?

A boats license goes with the #'s on the bow and is required for 10 hp or more and must be with the boat

A boats registration is the name and home port that you see on larger boats and can be expensive you probably don't have one.

I have never seen or heard of a boats ownership.

If the cop asked for registration or ownership and charged you for not producing a license you might have an out if he didn't ask for the license.

As for the flashlight ....DUH..

I understand they have to do there job but you should've said no to them boarding your boat cause they are consenting to search and you have dont nothing wrong for them to board. If you said no they aren't allowed to board unless you are suspicious or have probable cause.

Not true. under the Canada shipping act they can 'stop or board any craft at any reasonable time.' So telling them no is just going to annoy them and ensure that you get a ticket for every offence they suspect you have committed.

sec 196 of the Canada Shipping Act 2001

Powers

(4) Enforcement officers acting under subsection (2) and inspectors acting under subsection (3) may

(a) stop or board the craft at any reasonable time;

(B) direct any person to put into operation or cease operating any machinery or equipment on the craft;

© direct that the craft not be moved until the inspection is completed;

(d) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that it does not meet the requirements of this Part or the regulations made under this Part or exposes any person to serious danger, and direct that it not be operated until it meets those requirements or no longer exposes any person to serious danger; and

(e) direct any person to move the craft to a safe place if the officer or inspector has reasonable grounds to believe that the operator does not meet the requirements of the regulations made under this Part, and direct that the operator not operate it until the operator meets those requirements.

Duty to assist

(5) The owner or person in charge of a pleasure craft and every person on board shall

(a) give an officer or inspector all reasonable assistance to enable them to carry out an inspection and exercise any power conferred by this section; and

(B) produce to an officer or inspector any document, or provide them with any information, that the officer or inspector may reasonably require, for the administration of this Part or Part 5 (Navigation Services) or the regulations made under either of those Parts.

More plainly under the Small Vessel Regulations:

POWERS OF ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS

46. An enforcement officer may, in order to verify and ensure compliance with these Regulations,

a - go on board a vessel;

b - examine a vessel and its equipment;

c - require that the owner or the master or other person who is in charge or appears to be in charge of the vessel produce, forthwith,

(i) personal identification, and

(ii) any licence, document or plate required by these Regulations; and

(d) ask any pertinent questions of, and demand all reasonable assistance from, the owner or the master or other person who is in charge or appears to be in charge, of the vessel.

Dan

Thanks to Pinch and DB for quoting the law before one poor soul starts ranting about an unlawful boarding! I didn't know that either. And thanks to Lew for that great tip of leaving a photocopy of the proper papers in the boat at all times. Good advice from OFC yet again.

Thanks to Pinch and DB for quoting the law before one poor soul starts ranting about an unlawful boarding! I didn't know that either. And thanks to Lew for that great tip of leaving a photocopy of the proper papers in the boat at all times. Good advice from OFC yet again.

Yes, after remaining in the background on this one, you'd be surprised how many barrack room lawyers and Harry Kopitos are out there that have "heard" things and give out bogus info when dealing with the law. It would probably be to their advantage to listen and read rather than spout about the bovine manure they don't know jack s___ about. :thumbsup_anim:

Woops! I stand corrected! Thanks for setting that straight. (I should have looked it up myself)

I assumed that since they "asked" to come aboard, you had an option to say no. lol (similar to when a cop asks if they can come into your house, you can say no if they don't have a search warrant)

I guess they only only "ask" to be polite, when in reality they are coming aboard whether you like it or not.

Since they can legally do as they please, I highly recommend that you do not give the cops any attitude whatsoever as you are completely at their mercy.

Now Yyou sound like a fun guy. You must be a real joy when you screw up, huh? Or perhaps you think you don't? Patrick Perfect or something is your middle name?

I don't remember stating that I wouldn't pay the money. And I contacted the Prosecutor's office to settle this asap. So go rattle someone else's cage besides your own, huh?

Now Yyou sound like a fun guy. You must be a real joy when you screw up, huh? Or perhaps you think you don't? Patrick Perfect or something is your middle name?

I don't remember stating that I wouldn't pay the money. And I contacted the Prosecutor's office to settle this asap. So go rattle someone else's cage besides your own, huh?

Don't let people like that get under your skin... You'll spend most of your time here arguing and bickering if you respond to every ignorant fool that flames you. Trust me, I know first hand. LOL