Father's Day Report - Sun & Storms

ccmtcanada

Well, Bly asked me earlier in the week what I'd like for father's day. I replied, don't get me anything....let's go fishing...just the two of us. So, we made babysitting arrangements and at 6:45am, we were on our way to Lake Scugog. The public boat launch in Port Perry was pretty empty...we were the only ones there and counted only a few trailers in the parking lot.

It was a perfect morning.....winds out the south at around 10km/h, temperature at around 18C. We decided to head to a spot on the lake we'd never fished before, so we booted it as quickly as my little 18hp could take us. We were in the middle of the lake, marking fish, so we began to drift some jigs, hoping to get into a walleye or two for dinner. The first few drifts didn't produce anything, so at the tail end of the second one, I put on something bly got me for Father's Day....a Mepps Black Fury. I started fan casting and suddenly, I think I've snagged in the mother of all weeds. Then I felt the head shake!! Drag started screaming as I tried to gain control. The fish wouldn't come up...so I had no idea how big it was. I knew it wasn't huge, but you always like to see the fish. It was almost under the boat when it came up....STRAIGHT UP....AND FAST! It leaped out of the water and rolled right before our eyes before splashing the both of us. It wasn't ready to come in. Another good splashing of us, and I finally brought it close enough to land. Didn't bother to weigh this fish, but the length was 33.5"....if I didn't catch another fish all day, it would have still been a good one!! LOL.

01cliffmuskie.jpg

Bly and I traded catching rock bass after rock bass, until something hit my line as I was eating a chocolate bar. I thought it was another rock bass, but alas, I pulled in this 10" Crappie. We decided to keep this one....I've never tasted crappie before, so I figured we'd have a little snack later on.

02cliffcrappie.jpg

After breaking for lunch, we headed in to a local marina to pick up a t-shirt for Bly....her shoulders were burning to a crisp so she needed something to cover them. After finding one, we picked up a few drinks and snacks and headed back out. It was a nice little break to stretch our legs a little.

We decided to try another spot that looked promising on the GPS....and began to drift again. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted these clouds headed towards us rather quickly.

03clouds.jpg

We pulled our lines in a hit a different spot a little closer to the boat launch, just in case we had to get out of there quickly! As soon as got to the new spot a loud crack of thunder rumbled through the air. Ok...time to head in!! Apparently, we weren't the only ones with this thought. All these boats with HUGE motors began to head in as well....

04therace.jpg

I kept my hand firmly on the tiller...saying "Come on little engine...you can do it!!" It was now pouring rain...

05goboatgo.jpg

The vacant boat launch this morning was now PACKED with boats....the docks full, and there were other boats circling. We got our spot and I went to get the CRV. We quickly got out of the water, just as some more thunder rattled through the sky.

So, all in all, I had a great Father's Day! Getting out on the water and catching fish is a good day in my books.

Nice report & pics cliff !!!!. :clapping: ..glad you got a nice muskie and a tasty little crappie,man they sure taste good,too bad you didnt get a few more,i guess your other half didnt out fish you today :lol::P you got lucky !!!!!...LOL..LOL.. cheers,and that was a great fathers day present for sure :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: did you try any of the spots i showed you ???

Edited by fishindevil

Nice report & pics cliff !!!!. :clapping: ..glad you got a nice muskie and a tasty little crappie,man they sure taste good,too bad you didnt get a few more,i guess your other half didnt out fish you today :lol::P you got lucky !!!!!...LOL..LOL.. cheers,and that was a great fathers day present for sure :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: did you try any of the spots i showed you ???

Thanks Shawn....and yep...we tried those spots...marked fish, but didn't get any walleye. We'll be back again to try them out. Actually, now that I think about it, that muskie came not too far from one of those waypoints you put on my GPS....hehe.

Great present to spend a day fishing with your sweetie. Nice job.

Having a sitter report that early on a Sunday morning was quite a good start.

Our babysitter was our oldest daughter...hehe...just woke her up as we were leaving....

Nice Musky. I too took home a crappie the other day to check it out. You will enjoy it!!!!

Yep...it was tasty! We only had one, but we still had it as a side dish to dinner.

I guess the motor is working Ok now? I forgot to ask before......

Sinker

The motor is running great! I've been starting it up like you suggested and have had no problems at all. Prime it a few times, then pull the cord. I usually have to move the choke to the 2nd or 3rd position, but it starts right. Big Cliff put a new impeller on it last weekend and it's peeing like crazy now.

Yep...it was tasty! We only had one, but we still had it as a side dish to dinner.

The motor is running great! I've been starting it up like you suggested and have had no problems at all. Prime it a few times, then pull the cord. I usually have to move the choke to the 2nd or 3rd position, but it starts right. Big Cliff put a new impeller on it last weekend and it's peeing like crazy now.

Sweet! I figured it would be working fine!!

Big Cliff and ccmt put the impeller on last weekend! LOL

Glad to hear you had a wonderful fathers day, the rain held off here most of the day with one quick burst around 2:30 but it was over almost as quickly as it started. The big storm hit here around 7:45, lots of rain and wind, it seems to be clearing again right now though. A few branches down, our lawn chairs blown across the lawn but no other damage that I can see.

Big Cliff and ccmt put the impeller on last weekend! LOL

Glad to hear you had a wonderful fathers day, the rain held off here most of the day with one quick burst around 2:30 but it was over almost as quickly as it started. The big storm hit here around 7:45, lots of rain and wind, it seems to be clearing again right now though. A few branches down, our lawn chairs blown across the lawn but no other damage that I can see.

If you want to be picky, YOU actually put the impeller in the housing....LOL.

I helped take it apart, look for tiny parts that were dropped and helped put it back together again.

Yep...that 230 rain drove us off the water....and we're getting hammered again...the second round is hitting now.

Glad to hear you guys weather the storm ok...hope Andy did ok too!