Owls Pics From Today (nf)

Ron

Thanks for giving me an excuse to get out and look for Owls Pam.

I/we got 6 Snowy, 15 Longear, 1 Shortear and 2 Saw-Whets. Well over 2 dozen Red Tailed Hawks, a dozen or more Rough Legged Hawks, a generous amount of Harris Hawks, 3 Kestrals, 1 Ringed Neck Pheasent and a bonus Bald Eagle. So yes, I had a GREAT day!

Snowy02.jpg

Snowy01.jpg

Snowy03.jpg

Saw-Whet70.jpg

Saw-Whet69.jpg

Saw-Whet68.jpg

Longeared1010085.jpg

While camped in the middle of nowhere last summer with Ron, I heard an odd "beep, beep, beep" sound in the darkness of the night. I was sure that it was a back up alarm on a commercial vehicle of some sort. I thought it was strange that such a vehicle would be working in the middle of nowhere at night. I asked Ron if he heard the sound. He had heard it all right. But he quickly informed me that it was the call of a "Back up alarm Owl??". I think that's what he called it. Ron?? I thought that he was pulling my leg. Anyways, we later heard several more coming from different directions that were apparently calling to each other. The guy knows his Owls. And he knows how to use his camera too. Great job Bud..

Thanks for the compliments peoples.

DanC, I remember that night! I heard the little buggers all week and didn't pay any attention to them at all, not until you made a comment about it.

What we heard was the "back up beacon call" from a Saw-Whet Owl. It is one of their primary calls during the breeding season.

All of these birds were seen on Amhearst Island. Just like fishing, get away from the "hot spots" and do a little searching away from the crowd. Finding the Saw-Whets were the biggest challange. These Owls are teh size of a Robin, now picture trying to find that in a Bush thick as the hair on a back of a dog. Not an easy task but well worth it with the reward of a few pictures.

The above pictures 4 and 5 are the same bird. Once I got the camera set up on the Tripod, my friend moved a little and stepped on a puddle making the Saw-Whet change his pose, kinda funny I thought.

Majority of the time we are looking for signs of the Owls ie: white wash and pellets. We found one spot where the Long Ears were roosting and would see anywhere's from 3 to 20 pellets under one tree, this is a good indicator of their haunt!

I should actually start taking picures zoomed out just to give an idea of how difficult these guys are to see.

birding155.jpg

birding154.jpg