costco fishfinder/gps combo

Fishnwire

I got a hummingbird fish finder that I dont use anymore since it requires the boat to be stationary to actually give a proper picture... sucks but was $140 a few years ago I guess you get what you pay for but its pretty useless.

Well last year I bought a 565 and it has been a great unit for me I have not had any problems with it at all I wanted color but for what I wanted to spend I got alot better gray scale I had always liked eagle before this one but I love this hummingbird and will look into another for the bow of the boat either this or next year.

Well last year I bought a 565 and it has been a great unit for me I have not had any problems with it at all I wanted color but for what I wanted to spend I got alot better gray scale I had always liked eagle before this one but I love this hummingbird and will look into another for the bow of the boat either this or next year.

I have a 565 as well and turned it into a portable unit so that I can use it in the various boats I own....I think it's a great unit for the price..$238 at Le Barons :clapping:

I just bought a 717 model and have been very impressed so far. The clarity and resolution is amazing. I haven't used it in a fishing situation as of yet, just installed it and have done a couple of test runs to make sure I had the transducer located correctly etc. But man, what a difference compared to my 13 year old Magna II. I also like the fact that it's GPS ready. I also bought the speed/temp gauge for it, never had that before. When I took it out on the first test run, the boat got up to 42 mph running across Sturgeon in a chop... I was blown away. I thought the boat did probably 30 (14' Lund with a 25 Merc) but 42 really surprised me.

Heading up to Marten River on Friday for 4 days of serious R&R and fishing, can't wait to see how the new graph performs.

the boat got up to 42 mph running across Sturgeon in a chop...

i really dont think a fishfinder will give you an accurate speed reading......a 25hp doin 40mph??

i tend to take a speed reading from my gps.......

just a thought

Edited by workwear

42 MPH from a 25HP that is hard to believe.I had the little wheel on my old boat it was off by 5MPH too fast .

I am getting 32MPH from my 16 footer on the GPS from a 50HP

PM Greencoachdog he likes the birds.I think you can't go wrong with a name like Hummin bird.

Edited by Mike the Pike

Guest lundboy
42 MPH from a 25HP that is hard to believe.I had the little wheel on my old boat it was off by 5MPH too fast .

PM Greencoachdog he likes the birds.I think you can't go wrong with a name like Hummin bird.

Yep that speed is probably doable. My buddy has a 14' princecraft with an older model johnson 25, and he gets 38mph with gps!

I agree. Thats hard to believe.

I have a 16' with a 2007 40 HP 4 stroke, and I top out about 35 mph

I agree. Thats hard to believe.

I have a 16' with a 2007 40 HP 4 stroke, and I top out about 35 mph

Anyone think to ask if the 25HP motor is a 2stroke or 4stroke? If it's a 2-stroke, that number is easily believable. 4strokes are great down low, but lack the top end power that the 2strokes have.

To all you non-believers. :lol:

My boat is a 14' Lund Big Fisherman, no floor (I took it out after I bought it), Minn Kota transom mount and a deep cycle, with a 25 hp Merc 2 stroke, both are 1994 models. The only other noticeable weight is the gas tank and me (250 lbs). I had the motor tuned and carbs cleaned this spring and it is running awesome, it'll also troll down so slow that the speed does not even register. My brother-in-law has a Lund Pike with a 40 hp on it and his graph says it will go 30 mph. On opening day on Moira Lake I easily pulled away from him, no contest. I am not sure if the speed is completely accurate, but it's probably pretty close.

Let me tell you, when I open it up, it flies, I can go from Kennedy Bay to Sturgeon Point in no time.