Muskie opener tactics.

Jigger

Just like a few others posted in this thread, this will also be my first time Musky Fishing.

I am going to pop over after work and pick up some baits, since I dont have ANY "musky" baits at all!

Any recommendations?

(I will be fishing Stoney)

i ushaly catch musky without trying to catch em so ima use same tactic

Ha ha ha

I've been hitting the same lake every year for opener now for the past six years and we have found the fish to be on shallow rocky shorelines. We will fish a Doc at one end of the boat and a bulger type bucktail at the other. A Bomber LongA will also get wet. We have found that the musky really prefer the long slim profile at this time of the year.

I have a wide assortment of bass/walleye cranks, would they be alright to use this year, considering things seem to be behind what they normally are on the water?

But at the same time....I am assuming that after todays rain, and the next few days of warm weather, they are going to be quite active.

So, should I go with large baits instead?

How do you think the topwater bite is going to be?

1,000th post!

With the temps we've had, this is more of a early spring opener.. The cold temps have stunted weed growth, hopefully the fish have already spawned, if they are within that 2 week period of post spawn, the bite is going to be really tough.

Edited by BillM

well.

first i willbe joining Crazyhook...for sunday trip'''''MUSKY IN KAYAKS'''''' that should be great trip.

caught a nice musky last sunday..even if it was oos fish still fun in the yak..it was aprox 36incher at the carillion dams on the ottawa river....i was going for american shad then caught tons off sauger and that musky.

but this weekend ,there open and will target them big time.... :thumbsup_anim:

i will trow..anything frome big spinnerbait to swimwiz to crankbait to big rubber..anything until i get a patern...

hope the bite will be hot this weekend.

see you soon crazy.. ;)

joco

big oversized "bass buster" type double blade spinner bait fished as slow as I can..will post a couple pics of what i use this time of year later on..just got back from camp and goofing off on the computer as i check in on some work stuff :whistling:

I will be Fishing Buckhorn and Pigeon on Saturday and Sunday. Like most people I am going to start with large spinnerbaits and topwaters on the outside weed edges of shallow bays and flats. Last weekend I spotted a few muskie in these areas while fishing for morning walleye. In the afternoon I will likely head over to Pigeon lake and slow troll small 6-8" inch lures in the upper 10 feet of the water column over the edges of the main lake basin. If all else fails I will throw at some shoals that have produced for me in the past.

For those asking about water temps, on Sunday they ranged from 60-63 degrees on Buckhorn. Good luck to everyone!!

crazyhook,

The Big Moria Monster is calling you!!!!!

Im told the ontario record was caught and released in a net by the MNR in this area !!!!

Also heard elvis lives down the road to :)

HA! I heard of a 120 pounder caught on the O last year while at a local bait shop.... 2 people told me the same story! :clapping::whistling:

I haven't had good luck with early season musky. This year I have a new game plan......shallow. I do very good mid-late summer in the deeper summer spots, but I don't fish shallow too often, thats my downfall.

[/qoute]

Have to admit i found from July till Fall to be more productive for musky as well.

Going to try more shallow this year with bucktails and spinnerbaits as mentioned on first page of this thread.

Less than 24 hours to go !

ehg