Using marshmallows to catch steelhead....

Bottom line in my eyes.......if your hooking the fish because of a voluntary "take" on the fishes behalf.........then carry on, if you notice that you are bringin in a large percentage of your fish with the hook on teh outside of the mouth, then change up your presentation........marshmallow or not.

WELL SAID!!

Just becuase someone is using a marshmallow, doesnt mean they are lining.

The people who think this, probably think the leafs are a better team than the Sens too. :lol:

Lining or not, I bet it's not illegal if hooked in the mouth. And charge or not, CO's are not legal experts. A charge does not imply illegal, it means the CO believes it to be illegal. Come court time, when a legal expert (i.e. judge or JOP) hears how an angler was using a marshmallow with hook, had a license, fished in a water body that allows fishing, fished in season, and acted on suggestions from numerous fishing-related sources (such as articles), I would bet a lot of money these cases would be found not guilty.

A CO's beef with how one fishes does not mean it is illegal. Similarly, being charged does not mean the person has committed an offense. Courts are the true test of legality. I've never used marshmallows before, but I would not hesitate to do so if I wanted to. If one finds it repugnant, they are free to view it as immoral. But calling it definitively illegal I would argue is incorrect, regardless of whether a CO has previously charged this act or not.

Wow! Sorry guys, I didn't mean to whip the board into a frenzy. I've read many illuminating posts from both sides of the coin, and while I'm not choosing sides, I'd have to say that I agree that lining is not at all an admirable or honorable way to go about landing a fish. The unfortunate reality of this whole debacle is that when you are dealing with issues of 'morality' and 'ethics' you are delving into the labyrinthine realm of human subjectivity. Which tends to not be the most productive use of time. Let's all just get along and fish eh?!

Used Kraft mini-marshmallows for years around 1986 in Owen Sound on the Sydenham River where there is a tide. We'd stick a small #4 hook up through then turn it so it'd go back into 'fresh meat' and with a coupla splitshot ahead would toss er out and let it sit. Caught many small to big, male to female bows on it and we preferred it to dealing with icky spawn.

The wee hook is completely inside the mallow by the way. No point exposed at all.

Most times the issue of corner-mouth hooked vs ? wouldn't even be a worry for anyone goofy enough to worry about it, since the mallows were completely injested by the fish. By injested I mean... swallowed....inside .....just line coming outta it's throat..... hook too deep to live release.....hook can't be seen..... kinda thing.

Next lets argue over the best colour of mini marshmallow.... or maybe how about whether 'colour' should be instead be spelt 'color' or ? :wallbash:

Edited by cisco

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Add food colouring for a more attractive bait!

Fishing with a marshmellow isn't wrong if rigged properly and it can be very effective - but it is also used to line fish sometimes - including rainbow. I've seen it first hand. It is more effective at lining because of it's bouancy. Obviously that is not why this post was first put up there.

And to guys like jonnybass - I like to fish the river too, I have spent less on my river gear than any other setup for any other species - far less than some lures in plenty of guys' boxes. Enough with the insults. If you talked to me like that in a boat or on a river....I get tired of people being lumped into one category or another because a few in that category are on the extreme end.

You have to understand that river folks get to see poaching and poor practises first hand every time on the river - it never fails. Sometimes we catch a peek at a guy in a boat a half mile out with an extra line and we get all up in arms about it - rightfully so. Now imagine that in a much smaller water space all the time. Guys snagging fish, pretending to fish when they are actually "lining", "party fishing", etc... You see this all the time - constantly. No regard for the resource. We complain about garbage at the launch. Forget the launch, ever been on a trib after the opener?

The point is ethical "steelheaders" and ethical "bass fisherman" are the same. We all care about the same thing. The issues on the river are just magnified exponentially due to the scale of water being fished (anglers per capita if you will) which tends to, over time, make some steelheaders a little more sensitive to these issues and frankly, polarizes a lot of them.

Edited by Puckhead

WOW 6 PAGES ON MARSHMELLOWS LOL

IM NOT EVEN GONNA TOUCH THIS TOPIC.

WHEN STEELHEAD ARE FEEDING THEY WILL HIT ANYTHING THAT MOVES IN THE WATER!!!

NOT ETHICAL BUT IN A BET I BET A GUY I COULD CATCH ONE ON A CIGERETTE BUTT. 3 MINS LATER I LANDED A 12LB HEN LOL

USE WHAT U WISH. U MAY CATCH THE ODD ONE BUT IT'LL BE YOUR 1 TO MY 10 ON ROE AND MARABOU JIGS LOL

EVERYONE HAS THERE BELIEFS AND OPINIONS WRONG OR RIGHT BUT LOU IS A STAND UP GUY AND PUTS WAY MORE BACK INTO THE FISHERY THEN ANYONE I KNOW!!!

SO LETS JUST GO FISHIN!!!

True. I've also caught them on everything from flies, to spoons and cranks. Read the header though. We're talking about using marshmallows.

Read the freaking post I bolded the part I was replying to your own words " I’ve since wizened to that. Not only do salmon start to deteriorate once they enter the streams, they do not feed. " Which is the point they will strike using their mouth. Think before you leap.

Read the freaking post I bolded the part I was replying to your own words " I’ve since wizened to that. Not only do salmon start to deteriorate once they enter the streams, they do not feed. " Which is the point they will strike using their mouth. Think before you leap.

lol. I'll let you have that one. Have yourself a wonderful day.

I never knew it would get so heated, nor did I know marshmallows were so effective at catching. This thread has certainly been educational for me. Next time I'm at a trib, I'm going to give them a shot. Is the best way to present them with a slip sinker and swivel? I imagine I'd need a heck of a lot of shot to keep it at the proper depth. And do I use similar hooks as when I use roe?

Marsmellows illegal? I don't think so , maybe the way you fish with them. Like This fall I saw a guy with a big egg sinker treble hook and one marshmellow on it. And as the fish passed by his hook he would try and set it pretending like he had a bite. He looked pretty stupid, but yet again most people at Bronte are.

Marsmellows illegal? I don't think so , maybe the way you fish with them. Like This fall I saw a guy with a big egg sinker treble hook and one marshmellow on it. And as the fish passed by his hook he would try and set it pretending like he had a bite. He looked pretty stupid, but yet again most people at Bronte are.

but yet again most people at Bronte are.

What are you trying to say exactly?????????????

Lol damn, it's not even salmon season and already we're on a lining rant post!

Yes, using a marshmallow off bottom at a rivermouth or in a pool for salmon or trout you are lining fish. No, the majority of fish are not "striking" your bait but being unintentionally hooked. Swap your marshmallow out for anything else that floats and you'll hook into the same #'s of fish, probably more because an ear plug doesn't melt and floats higher.

Yes, lining is the same as snagging ethically, but in the eyes of the law if you snag them in the mouth area it is perfectly legal. Although relying on lining you will snag some fish in non-legal areas, especially true if you are fishing pools and not rivermouths.

That's it, there's no denying those points. You can switch up the presentation and catch the odd steel on a marshmallow under a float if you wanted (while occasionally stubborn they're not exactly bright), but there's more productive baits to use.

GreenCoachDog- Your "po-boy vs. The Man" argument isn't going to fly. This isn't the dew worm vs. perfectly tied hackle, it's about stream trash who plunks down in the middle of a pool and starts foul hooking everything in sight, screwing up the fishing for everybody that knows what they're doing.

Guest gbfisher
" they do not feed. Which is the point they will strike using their mouth. Think before you leap."

Sorry but that right there is funny.

A fish that strikes with their mouth. What a concept. :clapping: