Using marshmallows to catch steelhead....

I just picked up a book from my local library branch entitled Great Fishing In Lake Ontario & Tributaries by Rich Giessuebel. It came out in 1986 so it's a little dated but it's still a good read. He mentions using small marshmallows as bait for catching steelhead and I've never heard of this technique. Does anyone do this? Does this really produce fish?

The purpose to a marshmellow is to raise the hook off bottom.

Salmon and Rainbows when in a river face up stream and open and shut thier mouth to pass water and O2 over the gills to breath. What the marshmellow rig does is take advantage of this life process and allow the line to pass through its mouth, tension is felt and an angler ( I use that word loosely) sets the hook.

Regardless of its sale it is beyond immoral and in fact is illegal...You run the potential of being charged....

Hope that answers you question and I think a moderator should lock and delete this thread

marshmallows are not illegal and they work good for salmon especially fire them off a peir around even in green colours and hold on. ive caught even big ass browns off a pier. salmon and trout like bright round objects and they always will try them out.

When my stepdad owned a hardware store on the Credit River marshmellows were the number one bait. He normally just sold the big bags you see at the supermarket (both large and small marshmellows) - doesnt have to be scented to work I guess!

I will agree with aniceguy on this topic, most marshmallows (or earplugs, cig. butts, hockey cards, etc. lol...) are used at river mouths when the fish really come in and allow you to line the fish. Most fish caught this way will be hooked on the outside of the mouth, and many will be lost after the initial run.

Whether the thread should be locked or not, I don't know.... usually makes for a heated discussion :clapping:

Burt :)

I agree with muddywater, I never line fish and I have caught plenty of salmon with marshmallows. Some days they only seem to hit the marshmallows and leave the roe alone.

Why should this thread be locked? Im sure theres plenty of other ppl on here that dont line fish with marshmallows.

man I sure could post a pile...Let me make this really simple........and blunt using a marshmellow rig in an estuary, is lining a salmon/rainbow, no they arent hitting it out of agression, or do they desire the wonderful taste that confectionary sugar even when loaded with great garlic scent as a meal.

Its lining, flossing, and beyond its immoral illegal ( please ask a CO ) any credible angler looks at someone with this rig as an utter and complete idiot who's aim is to hook a beast at all costs, in many cases they dont know better and thats where some simple education comes into place....where did someone post blah blah blah.....lets go find some musky's and walleye and fish for them with some marshmellows now

I've never heard the term 'lining' before, but I am assuming you guys are referring to snagging?

I really don't know how using a marshmellow inplace of roe (Which I have done many times) means that I am intentionally trying to foul hook a fish.

If someone could explain that to me, I'd appreciate it.

What a thoroughly enjoyable read to wake up to after a nice afternoon nap! I don't believe the author was referring to lining at all. And if fish didn't go for marshmallows of their own volition, wouldn't the sale of these particular bait marshmallows be illegal as well? Isn't it true that many fish will potentially attack any lure out of curiosity and may be doing just that when they hit a marshmallow?

Lining refers to hooking a fish by allowing the line to run through its mouth, eventually allowing the hook to catch on or in the mouth.

During the heat of the salmon run on Bronte for example. You will see many people lining the walls of the harbour, lines cast out and held tight. Most use marshmallows or earplugs for "bait". Many have seen people fish salmon this way so this is what they believe is a legit way to catch them, they are oblivious to the real method they are using to hook them. The "bait" is cast out as far as it will go, it is helpful to have the rod as close to the waters surface as possible, so to cut down on the angle of the line in relation to the lakes bottom. This allows more "fishable line" to be used. As the salmon or trout swim upstream the line is caught in their mouths.... (most salmonoids will develop a pronounced kype when ready to spawn.... this is also why most caught this way are males...) and as the continue swimming the line passes through until the hook finds its mark.

I will admit, when I was a teen I used to fish like this. I used a large marshmallow threaded on a big siwash hook. Effective but wrong. At the time I thought they were eating it too..... don't fool yourselves though...

Burt :wallbash:

What a thoroughly enjoyable read to wake up to after a nice afternoon nap! I don't believe the author was referring to lining at all. And if fish didn't go for marshmallows of their own volition, wouldn't the sale of these particular bait marshmallows be illegal as well? Isn't it true that many fish will potentially attack any lure out of curiosity and may be doing just that when they hit a marshmallow?

I know you didn't start the topic for this reason. But the reality of the situation must be understood. This is why I said that it is a popular topic for debate lol...

Louis is a very knowledgible steelheader and he doesn't post Bull... if he posts it he knows what he is talking about....

And if the salmonoids are attacking marshmallows out of curiosity, then there must be many curious fish out there since it is a quite effective method, even if only on the male of the species...

Burt ;)

man I sure could post a pile...Let me make this really simple........and blunt using a marshmellow rig in an estuary, is lining a salmon/rainbow, no they arent hitting it out of agression, or do they desire the wonderful taste that confectionary sugar even when loaded with great garlic scent as a meal.

Its lining, flossing, and beyond its immoral illegal ( please ask a CO ) any credible angler looks at someone with this rig as an utter and complete idiot who's aim is to hook a beast at all costs, in many cases they dont know better and thats where some simple education comes into place....where did someone post blah blah blah.....lets go find some musky's and walleye and fish for them with some marshmellows now

Maybe you should keep your morals to yourself.

Have you ever watched a marshmallow on a line in the current? It doesn't just sit out there flat and still, that thing is flapping in the current like a Pick handle beatin a garbage can 'Possum!!!... and for it to "ring" a fishes mouth without the fish grabbing it is highly unlikely!!!