Perch Spawn

Rattletrap2

I was out walking the pond on the week-end and noticed some strange looking egg mass near the wind blown shore. Did some searching on "Google" and it turns out they are Yellow Perch eggs! Long white ribbons about 1 1/2" to 2" wide and about 30" long. Could be as many as 25,000 eggs! I'll try to get some photo's up shortly if anyone is interested.

I had noticed some really big jumbo females (well not like Simcoe Jumbos, but about 10") swimming about in the last few weeks and I guess this is the result.

There seems to be an abundance of small fish this year. I guess the last years spawn did really well. I find it fascinating to watch the Sunfish and Rock Bass start their nesting routines in the next few weeks as well. Looks like a good number of LargeMouth made it through the winter as well. I have accounted for the three biggest and a good number of 3 - 4" ones as well. :thumbsup_anim::rolleyes:

Edited by Rattletrap2

Okay, Finally got around to trying to post some pics of the Perch eggs and also some very small LargeMouth Bass.

These Bass were all stocked at approx. 1" size last June. They are now averaging about 3 - 4" in length. In the one picture, the Bass is between two young Sunfish. I apologize for the photo clarity, but I was trying to zoom in without a tripod and the image tended to blur. There is also some glare off the water.

med_gallery_333_69_253278.jpg

med_gallery_333_69_143377.jpg

med_gallery_333_69_179898.jpg

med_gallery_333_69_105511.jpg

med_gallery_333_69_72857.jpg

med_gallery_333_69_15226.jpg

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, the small fish are definitely Large Mouth Bass. The eggs however, are from Yellow Perch. Unlike most other freshwater fish species that stay and guard the nest from predators after the eggs are laid, the Perch simply lay their eggs in these long ribbon like gelatin sacks and abandon them. The wind blew the eggs down into the shallow weedy area. They should hatch by this coming week-end.

The surface water temps are already around 64 to 65 deg. F. The incoming spring keeps the main body of water from getting much warmer than about 75 deg. F all summer.

These fish share the pond with a total of 8 species that I have counted. Rainbow trout, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Large mouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Perch, Suckers, and Two very large Goldfish (Koi). All but the Trout seem to reproduce in great numbers. Each species has several year classes with the exception of the Trout.

It is like a huge aquarium!

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, the small fish are definitely Large Mouth Bass. The eggs however, are from Yellow Perch. Unlike most other freshwater fish species that stay and guard the nest from predators after the eggs are laid, the Perch simply lay their eggs in these long ribbon like gelatin sacks and abandon them. The wind blew the eggs down into the shallow weedy area. They should hatch by this coming week-end.

The surface water temps are already around 64 to 65 deg. F. The incoming spring keeps the main body of water from getting much warmer than about 75 deg. F all summer.

These fish share the pond with a total of 8 species that I have counted. Rainbow trout, Rock Bass, Sunfish, Large mouth Bass, Small mouth Bass, Yellow Perch, Suckers, and Two very large Goldfish (Koi). All but the Trout seem to reproduce in great numbers. Each species has several year classes with the exception of the Trout.

It is like a huge aquarium!

Is this your pond??? If so you need to get some hearty minnow species into it or you run the risk of stunting the growth of the bass eventually. Feel free to add crayfish and leeches as well.

I can't believe it!!! Somebody actually did their own legwork and figured something out without posting pics on the board and ask someone (anyone) else to do it???... but I see from your sig that you might be a Redneck, so that explains it. ;)

Great pics and thanks for posting and figuring out what they were!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Is this your pond??? If so you need to get some hearty minnow species into it or you run the risk of stunting the growth of the bass eventually. Feel free to add crayfish and leeches as well

That is quite possibly the worst thing he could do! Minnow populations in a small pond can take over and choke everything else out. They can become so overpopulated they will rob the pound of all the oxygen in the hottest summer months, and will contribute to winter kill the same way.

By the looks of it, that pond is fine! There will be plenty of perch fry (among others) for the predators to feed on.