What lures would you bring?

Black_Blade

Couple mepps 03 spinners, gold, silver, black and red - probably fit 4 or 5 in one compartment.

Couple white and black 4" twister tails and some white and yellow jig heads.

Some 1/3 oz cleos

pearch and shad pattern crank baits - medium depth - 8 to 11 feet - 3" or 4" variety

So that is 5 Compartments

one top water popper - frog or red/white

one or two williams spoons

A couple of deer hair jigs - white, natural and chartruss

and some terminal tackle, can always dig up some worms or bugs

Edited by 4Reel

try doing a search on "favourite lure" ... or something along those lines

i think the conclusion from that post was that... a lot of the people chose white grub and a jig

other popular ones are worms, small spinners

Well i think everythings been covered but for suresome jigs,various weights,and a few spinners,some berkley gulp minnows & twister tails,and a crankbait or 2 for sure,and of course some hooks & splitshot,and a slipfloat too....and maybe a small spoon or 2 and that should just about do it,that tackle will and has caught just about everything,thats what i would bring is this what you are going to be doing???? im wondering why.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping:

Id have a beetle spin in there for sure with a few different sized twister tails and jig heads. Can use small twisters and jigs for smaller fish and just change it to a big twister and bigger jig head for bass and pike. Couple crank baits and some hooks and sinkers..

Comp #1 - Spinners size 1-3, silver chartruese

Comp #2 - jig heads 1/16 to 1/4 pick your colours

Comp #3 - Berkley jigworm black, white power grub

Comp #4 - Pop R white and frog, torpedo

Comp #5 - Small spinnerbaits, beetle spins, saftey spins for jig heads

Comp #6 - #9/11 Rapala, perch, silver

Comp #7 - hooks, widegap #8, 1/0 worm hooka nd some split shot

Comp #8 - 4" senkos (use with 1/0 worm hook), black white

Comp #9 - Slip bobbers

Comp #10 - 4" power worm (use on jig hook)

Some live bait would go a long way, pick up a dozen worms

OK, I am pretty efficient with this stuff: one of those small, grey two level 7$ Plano jobs from Walmart is what I often pack....it surprisingly hold a lot! They are just a bit thicker than one of those 10 compartments I think you are talking about and a lot more flexible:

-1 pack of Gulp 3" white twisty tails

-1/2 dozen non-leaded jigs (lead is banned in provincial parks)

-1 dozen hooks of various sizes (bait hooks)

-1 dozen split shots of various sizes

-1 perch, 1 minnow x-10 xrap

-1 perch fat rap

-1 white fat rap like lure

-2 Rat-l-traps

-2 slip floats w/ 1/32 and 1/16th jigs with tiny grubs (pan-fish)

11 #3 mepps fury

- 2 red devils. a small and large

-2 large spinners with and without bucktail

-zara spook

- florocarbon leader material

-1 big ass muskie bait (wait, that wont fit)

-1 or two jointed minnow raps.

-spinners don't take up a lot of room so throw a few more of those in the box and I think you would be ready for every thing that is not super deep.

I am cheating a bit here because I think I am at 15 compartments here with that box, but it lets you bring pliers, hook sharpeners and packages of gulp.

you could go a lot smaller but then you have to ditch the jerk baits, floats and the gulp packages.

forrest

Edited by forrest

Lots of good suggestions.

I've done the same thing on some camping trips (e.g., Algonquin). Keep it simple, mix of different sized jigs, mix of twister tail plastics, few inline spinners like Mepps, a few small spoons and a few crankbaits will fit in one of those trays.

Don't forget a spare spool of line. Also, I have a cheap telescopic rod that I will bring on camping trips in case my main rod breaks or is lost. Very small and you can keep it with your clothes in a backpack. It would suck to be at the start of a camping trip and not have any fishing rod at all.

Mike

Awesome replies, guys! All great choices of baits, I would prolly pack more plastics (worms and twisty tail grubs) to use with jig heads, beetle spinners. I was just looking at one of them telescopic rods in CT yesterday, wasn't sure how well it would stand up (would it be weak?)

Makes you wonder eh, when you can really narrow down your lures to 10 all time sure hitters...just why we have suitcase sized boxes :D Wife always points out to me that I spend more time changing lures than fishing... :whistling:

Edited by Black Blade

It's pretty likely that you could easily find out what species of fish are in the lake, or at least a good guess, by calling the closest MNR office and talking to the district biologist.

Local guides or outfitters would be my second option.

I've fished countless back lakes over the years and can honestly say I knew what to expect in each and every case.

Do your homework and find out what you'll be fishing for. It'll make your lure selection a lot easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Bucktail and Maribou jigs in different sizes and colours. Have caught just about every species on them. As well as an Mepps Aglia Long (size 4 or 5) and and aglia with the black 'hairs' on the treble in a size 2. That's all I need and I'm good to go. Oh and a 6'6 with 8 lb pline flouro clear on it :D