Did I break the fish'n rules ??

lew

I was just reading iceguys post about the tourney angler jumping in the water to grab a fish after his line snapped, and they said he didn't break any rules cause he kept his hand on the boat at all times.

It reminded me of a musky I got several years ago under similar circumstances, but I've often wondered if I broke a rule.

It was back in the days before I used a net to land muskies and always just grabbed them by the gill plate to bring them in.

It was very late at night and we were casting large spinner baits in shallow water when I got her. I had her right beside the boat and was holding my rod high to keep tension on the line, and just as I reached down to grab her with my free hand, the hook popped outta her mouth and she started to take off.

Without even thinking, I grabbed for her when she was about 3 feet away and taking off in a hurry and darned near fell outta the boat, but I was able to get her by the tail and haul her back into the boat for a picture.

'She was a thin fish and not real long so I don't know why I went to so much trouble for a picture, but maybe it was just a reflex action or something :dunno: .

Anyways, I originally hooked her legally, but she managed to escape, and I then more or less caught her again by hand without using a fishin pole and I've always felt what I did was against the rules.......any thoughts ?? :Gonefishing:

3of3ski-1.jpg

Edited by lew

If you were in a tourney, I don't think it would count as you did not have the fish with the lure or in the net, thus no control of the fish.

That being said, who cares great story. Deffinately a story for the grandkids. Write the story beside the picture for all to read. Heck you could even tell the story as you just caught it by hand. Big Bad Lew the Great Muskie Catcher!!!!

Yes you did and for a punishment I will accept the duty of collecting a day out fishing musky with ya Lew.

I guess its on the same level as do I take a pic of OOS fish nothing in the rules that I know of that say you can not hand catch them is there just like there is not rule that sais I can not take a pics of a OOS fish when releasing her?

If you did break the rules, who cares! Judging by those reflexes, you'd have the CO's gun out of his holster and pointed at him before he had a chance to ask for your license! :lol:

Edited by Rich

If you did break the rules, who cares! Judging by those reflexes, you'd have the CO's gun out of his holster and pointed at him before he had a chance to ask for your license! :lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Lew vs. Chuck Norris?

G

Great story Lew. Kinda like my whitefish this year. Before I knew it, my instincts just kicked in and my arm was down the fishing hole and I had

the fish by the tail, hauled her out and was soaked and exhilirated at the same time.

I did actually call the MNR to find out if it was legal. The MNR officer I talked to thought it was a great story too and said it was basically

a fluke that I did it. They are more worried about people grabbing spawning Salmon and Pickerel in the rivers he said, when they are vulnerable.

He had a good laugh and told me to have a nice day.

So, No, I don't think you broke the rules. You are human and you are a fisherman and your instinct kicked in.

I'm pretty sure tho I won't be able to do that this week where we are going tho ;)

Joey

Wow Lew what a great story I guess you don't have slimy hands.

Can you do that in Quinte too with the eyes.

When in need a man does not let that tail get away :w00t:

:lol: Thanks for that Lew between those negative steelie reports and the motor bashing nice to see some real fish pics.

Ah April 26th can't come soon enough.

MTP

Yes you did and for a punishment I will accept the duty of collecting a day out fishing musky with ya Lew.

I guess its on the same level as do I take a pic of OOS fish nothing in the rules that I know of that say you can not hand catch them is there just like there is not rule that sais I can not take a pics of a OOS fish when releasing her?

Wouldn't that be kinda like videotaping the speedometer as you head up Hwy 400 at 175 kph? :whistling:

At least shut off the autodate feature on the camera.

JF

Thanks for the laffs guys & gals :thumbsup_anim:

That's definetely a true story but I was just hoping to lighten the mood a little bit as things have been a tad testy around here lately. :whistling:

We actually got 3 fish that night but that one was the most memorable.

And Mr. Eh, you already know the answer to your suggestion for punishment :Gonefishing:

Edited by lew

When did I get that title??

G

Jeez you got a short memory G :lol:

Quote by Gerritt:

Internet Hero eh?

w00t! Where is my cape??!!

To Infinity and Beyond!

G

Oh so Pretty Internet Hero :w00t:

Edited by Tybo

Awesome story Lew.

I heard that Lews tears are Chuck Norris' kryptonite. To bad Lew never cries.

I have the same thing happen witha big pike, Im not sure who was more surprised when I grabbed the fish, me or the pike.

I didnt even know there was such a rule, when I was 12 we used to grab suckers in small creeks with our bare hands all the time.

016.jpg

Edited by mepps