Installing fishfinders?

issamhay

well this is my first time buying a fishfinder and I'd just like to know if its complicated and if u need to purchase anyything else when you buy the fishfinder, Im going to get a Eagle® Cuda™ 168 Fish Finder - Burgundy from the Bass pro website. Thanks in advance.

I found when I bought my first fiberglass boat in 2001 I bought an eagle fish finder after drilling holes installing the unit I was forced to go out and buy some more wire because Eagle did not provide enough to connect me to the transducer at the back of the boat

Someone at Eagle figured everyone had a 10 ft boat. :wallbash:

Pay a few hundred $$$$ and get short changed.

Its gone now sold it with the fiberglass boat .Good luck with the install.

MTP

Pay special attention to "Transducer Mounting Instructions" in you manual, you don't want to drill more holes in your transom,

use stainless screws and a good marine grade adhesive like 3M 4200 or 5200, a lot more expensive then regular silicone but worth every penny IMO. fill the holes and coat the screws with it before tightening the transducer bracket,

use the in-line fuse(on +/red wire) supplied with the unit.

Transducer placement is very important.Make sure not to get to close to the prop wash. Also put some silicone into the opening at the top of the transducer bracket, between the bracket and back of the boat, this will stop you from having a roster tail of water spraying up.

I have found regular silicone caulking to work VERY well and last a LONG time. I just replace my old X-50 unit with a new LMS 520c and the silicone caulking held up for 23 years and you can get it at any hardware store.

Regular silicone breaks down in sunlight, some silicone will not bond properly for your job. From what I have read marine silicone is polyeuratane based and UV resistant.

Get the right silicone for the job.

forrest

Forrest, not to start a argument but don't you think you are really pulling on some straws there. I really don't know if sunlight can effect regular silicone or not but even if it does how much sunlight do you think is going to shine on the silicone that you put in the holes you drilled in the BOTTOM of the transom and the stainless steel screws you are going to use to attach the transducer bracket to the BOTTOM of the transom.

The 3M Silicone caulking I have always used sticks VERY well on any boat project and in the bath tub / shower area in my home. When the time comes to remove this 3M Silicone caulking it has always been a chore. But if you feel better purchasing "special" marine caulking and spending 2-3X the amount go ahead. I know some people that will only purchase Mobil gasoline because it cleans their engine while driving. Do you see where I am going here.

TRhansk for the info guys, now is there any difference in functionality between the the portable and non portable version? Im willing to pay an extra 20 dollars for the portable version but is it worse on boats?

Functionally the non-portable and portable are the same. Only difference is the battery box and a suction cup for the transducer. No installation is required for the portable unit - just adhere the suction cup where you wish to place the transducer and power up the unit.

IMHO I would select another unit with a little more resolution unless you have a specific reason for wanting the Cuda 168 (or get it for $80 at Tromblys).

If this depth finder is going to be used on the same boat then don't get a portable because they are a pain after awhile. You need batteries and a extra set in case they go dead when you're on the water plus the suction cup keeps falling off at speeds higher than trolling depending on your boat. I have had them stay on for several days and then just the opposite where you looked cross eyed at it and it would fall off.

Transducer placement is very important.Make sure not to get to close to the prop wash. Also put some silicone into the opening at the top of the transducer bracket, between the bracket and back of the boat, this will stop you from having a roster tail of water spraying up.

Can you please explain this in more detail, I don't follow exactly what you mean. I have this problem and the spray can be a pain in the butt because it gets in the boat and if a wind is blowing from the rear it really gets inside.

BTW, my F.F was installed by the dealer as a package when the boat was new.

Thanks.