1. 1. Which Outboard Brand is Best?

• Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Mercury
    • Suzuki
    • Honda
    • Yamaha
    • Other

IGNORANCE IS BLISS GUYS !! THIS IS WHY I HATE THIS BOARD SOMETIMES.I DON'T CARE IF YOUR BLOODY MERCURY RAN FOR 2000 HRS !! YOUR ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES.THE MORE YOU GUYS COME IN HERE ABND SLAM EVINRUDE THE MORE YOU MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT.JUST GIVING GREAT INFORMATION BECAUSE I AM IN THE KNOW WITH ALL THREE MAJOR BRANDS AND LET ME TELL YOU WE HAVE WAY MORE PROBLEMS WITH MERCURYS THAN THE EVINRUDES.AND WHEN WE HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH A MOTOR EVINRUDE IS BY FAR THE BETTER COMPANY TO DEAL WITH.MY FAVORITE IS LAST YEAR WHEN I HAD A CUSTOMER BLOW HIS POWER HEAD ON HIS 115 HP MERC TWO WEEKS BEFORE WARRANTY WAS OVER AND THE MERC TECH TOLD ME TO TELL THE CUSTOMER WE COULDN'T GET THE PARTS FOR 3 WEEKS.WELL DONE MERCURY TALK ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE (OR LACK OF )YOUR MOTOR CHOICE IS YOUR OWN ALL I AM TRYING TO DO IS HELP PEOPLE MAKE A BETTER DECISION WITH THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY.SO ALL YOU HATERS ENJOY YOUR BLISS AND KEEP YOUR STUPID COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.BECAUSE UNFORTUNATELY THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE HERE WHO WILL LISTEN TO YOUR ENDLESS MISINFORMED RAMBLINGS AND GO AND BUY A LESSER PRODUCT. :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1:

I can't imagine why someone in your situation would post this. Tells us all a little about where and where not to do business........ <_<

Even-Rude Dude certainly has his own take on matters, thats for sure! Personally I think a lot of this issue has to do with what size motor we are referring to. In my eperience, I have found that many of the manufacturers producing smaller motors that are 4stroke, suck! The last motor I had before I our upgrade was Merc 15hp 4stroke! Besides the fact that the motor was a total beast with regards to the weight, I was often totally ticked that my friends Yammy 9.9 2stroke kept up with me keel to keel on the average! We just got rid of that boat package and up graded to a 16ft with a 60 4 stroke merc! The motor was not my perferred choice, buts thats the hardest problem! All to often when buying a boat package, you have little say in what motor manufacturer you get! Most people are looking for a reputable boat builder and a motor packaged with it for that magic price. This is what really does the deal! If I had my ultimate choice on motors, I would go Yamaha. Just do your homework and check out the on line customer reveiws on this brand! The Yamaha name is synonomous with reliability! Is it the fastest? Most Effecient? Not neccesarily! But with regards to maintenance free reliabitly, the yammys steal the show! I would have loved to have gotten a Yamaha with my new boat package, but guess what? It wasnt an option! I got a Princecraft from a great dealer, who packages Merc and Princecraft and realistically, though merc wasnt my first choice, the customer service from this particular dealership made all the difference. Not to mention the value we got on upgrading! New boat packages are unbelievably cheap today as opposed to only one year ago! Not only have most, if not all the boat builders and dealers come down in price to meet the current strength of the Canadian dollar, but the motor manufactures them selfs are now starting to give their buyers more confidence in their decision by offering great warrantys! Merc is presently offering a 3 year, transferrable warranty on its new motors! Personally, I dont really care one way or the other about brand name recongnition as long as it gets me on the water for a fair price. Having said this, I do feel a lot more at ease with having a solid warranty! Who cares if the motor is one way or another, as long as you can feel secure in knowing that if the motor you bought pooches within the first year or three, and its death is due to normal wear and tear, the manufacturer will honour all the neccesary work to repair such said issue! Warrantys is where it is at! If your motor manufacturer does not offer a transferable warranty today, then I would suggest considering other options! What more can they do to instill your confidence in that brand! If a manufacturer can offer a warranty that not only extends to it's original buyer, but also to the guy that he sells the motor to next door, you have to give it respect!

My two cents!

Ab

EVINRUDE-DUDE did bring up one important point and that is how Mercury is cutting deals with boat manufactures to package boat, motor and trailer. A very good dealer here who sold Lund and Yamaha's and OMC products dropped the Lund boat because they are now packaged with Mercury motors. He had a great product with Lund for many years and now is selling Polar boats :(

EVINRUDE-DUDE did bring up one important point and that is how Mercury is cutting deals with boat manufactures to package boat, motor and trailer. A very good dealer here who sold Lund and Yamaha's and OMC products dropped the Lund boat because they are now packaged with Mercury motors. He had a great product with Lund for many years and now is selling Polar boats :(

The Lund Dealer is not obligated to drop the Lund Line just because of motors.

My Lund Dealer has been selling Honda since 1979.Today he sells Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki and now he can sell Mercury he is not forced to sell

Mercury but the price is attractive with the Mercury, bottom line you will pay more for your package at my dealer if you choose to take the Japanese motor.

I would assume this dealer dropped Lund for other reasons.

MTP

I just wish I had a dollar for everytime we've had this EXACT same discussion on this board over the years :thumbsup_anim:

Honda vs Merc

Tiller vs consol

Chevy Truck vs Toyota truck

Left hand retrieve vs right hand retrieve

3 months from now we'll have the same discussions with the exact same opinions.

Ya gotta luv it :clapping::clapping:

When I was at the boat show. I ask the dealers about rigging other

engines. The average price was $495 for re rigging.

The dealer also said it would be a little more if you want

hydraulic steering if the original package didn't come with it.

AS for Rude trying to bring back the market from 4 strokes.

Does BPR not know the reason why people are buying 4 strokes.

I have talked to alot of people with 4 stroke and all have said much the same.

No messing around with high priced two stroke oil and they are very quite.

P.R is the best weapon that a company has to sell there product.

Most p.r work is target at un-knowing public. All they want to do is turn key and go.

I for one, still a big two stroke fan and don't like the way BPR is doing the P.R work.

Rude dude is the perfect example of this.

The Lund Dealer is not obligated to drop the Lund Line just because of motors.

My Lund Dealer has been selling Honda since 1979.Today he sells Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki and now he can sell Mercury he is not forced to sell

Mercury but the price is attractive with the Mercury, bottom line you will pay more for your package at my dealer if you choose to take the Japanese motor.

I would assume this dealer dropped Lund for other reasons.

MTP

Brobeil Marine in Buffalo NY has been a OMC dealer for over 50 years and for the last 10 years or so also a Yamaha dealer. He doesn't want to add Mercury motors to his line in order to sell a Lund boat like your dealer is now doing because it's a package. However, your dealer is taking off the Merc and being nice enough to replace it with one of the other brands he sells at a premium. Most guys will not want to do that because they have to spend quite a bit more in order to NOT get a Merc on their boat. Bottom line Lunds and other boats are now coming to dealers as a package and this does most times reduce the overall cost of the package. Bayliner was doing this years ago with the so called "Force" motor. That is the only way Chrysler could sell them dogs.

Here's Lund's website. See if you can find one of their boats with OUT a Merc on it.

http://www.lundboats.com/showroom.html

Your dealer does not have to order the boat "packaged". They can still buy Lunds engineless and install what they want on them. I would suggest that the appearance of no choice but a Merc does give the dealer an excuse to drop the line if they so chose. In my mind... the main reason to drop Lund would be the quality control of their "packaging" last year. It wasn't pretty and my boat isn't referred to as "The boat from Hell" by all Temagami Marine staff for nothing.

Brobeil Marine in Buffalo NY has been a OMC dealer for over 50 years and for the last 10 years or so also a Yamaha dealer. He doesn't want to add Mercury motors to his line in order to sell a Lund boat like your dealer is now doing because it's a package. However, your dealer is taking off the Merc and being nice enough to replace it with one of the other brands he sells at a premium. Most guys will not want to do that because they have to spend quite a bit more in order to NOT get a Merc on their boat. Bottom line Lunds and other boats are now coming to dealers as a package and this does most times reduce the overall cost of the package. Bayliner was doing this years ago with the so called "Force" motor. That is the only way Chrysler could sell them dogs.

Here's Lund's website. See if you can find one of their boats with OUT a Merc on it.

http://www.lundboats.com/showroom.html

You are wrong my dealer can order his Lunds motorless however if I had of taken a Mercury I would have saved a whopping $500

I don't think Bufalo New York and Quebec Canada have the same rules.

I also think that Lund is Quite content with My Lund Dealer in Quebec being number one is sales in Quebec year after year despite putting Honda's on as the dealers first choice.I guess you know all the canadian rules.

MTP :P

You are wrong my dealer can order his Lunds motorless however if I had of taken a Mercury I would have saved a whopping $500

I don't think Bufalo New York and Quebec Canada have the same rules.

I also think that Lund is Quite content with My Lund Dealer in Quebec being number one is sales in Quebec year after year despite putting Honda's on as the dealers first choice.I guess you know all the canadian rules.

MTP :P

What I STATED is what is going on here in the Good U. S of A. not up in Q land my friend. But then maybe you know all the USA rules :whistling:

Bottom line is Merc and others are packaging there product and that's not good for anyone who wants more choices. :wallbash:

What I STATED is what is going on here in the Good U. S of A. not up in Q land my friend. But then maybe you know all the USA rules :whistling:

Bottom line is Merc and others are packaging there product and that's not good for anyone who wants more choices. :wallbash:

Well I am glad I still live in Canada now Communist China is building all Mercury outboards under 90hp and now Brunswick dictates to all Lund dealers in the USA that they must put Mercs on their Lund Boats boy am I glad I don't live in the good old USA :whistling: The Land of the free.

Sheesh pretty soon it will be all Mercury because Brunswick almost owns all the boat Companies.

Can't wait to see all the outboard motor companies duke out in court.

:canadian:

Edited by Mike the Pike

Thanks... a lot of folks need to get fishin... me included ! DANG>....looks like I can launch at Cedar point and troll most of the way to the sound.. guess I'd better get my butt in gear...

Parry Sound Harbour looks ice free as well...

Edited by irishfield

Common Bernie go get us some Brookies.

I might have tried Mike but I gotta wait until all them little creeks that have recently turned into rivers to drop. And I think by that time it will be almost pickerel season. But the smelts may soon run down at Eagle Lake west of South River....this week I suspect. Wouldn't mind a pail of them!

I don't know which is ruder, the Rude dude or the 2000 hours a year dude. Come on folk wake up 2000 hours is a full time job 40 hours x 50 weeks or a full year, I don't think he's from Florida.

I for one would not trust a Rude or would not buy an import. Never had a problem with Mercury and I've had many.