1. 1. Which Outboard Brand is Best?

• Johnson
    • Evinrude
    • Mercury
    • Suzuki
    • Honda
    • Yamaha
    • Other

You picked on heck of a topic for your first poll! You might consider searching out previous threads on this topic... a little hint... look for one's that are locked! LOL] :whistling:

HH

Ha Ha Ha Ha .. I aint touching this one!!!!

The above said... I also have a 5HP and a 25 HP Honda. Absolutely no issues. Had a 115 Johnson 2 stroke on the last "fishing" boat... motor was good (a tad noisy in comparison to what I have now and or a Honda) but no issues with it other than hard cold starting.

I'm pulling it with a Ford.. so you may as well add that debate to this while you're at it! LOL

Edited by irishfield

personally i rather yamaha..where i work during the summer we have yamahas on our transport boat 2 x 115hps 4 stroke with 1800hrs on it and still running strong, we also have a 150 yam 4 stroke with 500 problem free hours, now for our smaller engines we are slowly changing to mercury since they came back with the gear engagement right on the throttle....seen a blown verado this summer had something to do with the electronics..really nice machine but im a yamaha guy

fire004-1.jpg

fire005-1.jpg

Can't think of why an honest thread about outboard motors could get locked! ;)

Sorry I should've clarified. I'm probably getting something around 25-30 HP on a tiller.

HAHAHA... guess you haven't read the others for some reason!

I'd go Honda in that HP range myself ! Our 25 Honda has been top notch....pushing a heavy steel 16' work boat.

Said this before. They are all good outboards. Depends mostly on what you use it for, your local repair facility(yes they all need this), warranty's and initial cost of the unit. Also what kind of maintainence is required each year. I have personal favorites for different HP ranges but so do most of you. The one thing I do have to add is it does not always need to be a 4 stroke. 2 stroke engines are lighter and run strong so sometimes better on smaller boats. Most 4 strokes tend to be quieter and better on fuel- but not always. Choose carefully and do research. It's a big purchase and you should get an outfit that will suit your needs the first time around. I see it time and time again people buying a boat and are looking a year or two later for another.

To make it fair, you should add up the votes for both Johnson and Evinrude as they are both owned by Bombardier Recreational Products and share similar technology...

Burt :)

Well if thats the case then add up the Yammy and the Merc totals.

Yamaha,Mercury,Honda they`ll be good to you if your good to them.

I run a Yamaha but that is because the boat I liked came with a Yamaha if it would have been packaged with a Mercury it would have made no difference.

When I was down in Florida a couple of months ago I was checking out some boats. Suzuki's are becoming very popular down there. I have a 50hp Merc and I find it fairly quite and havn't had to do any repairs yet (2 years). If you had a 2 stroke in the past you will notice a big difference between the two.

I can't hear my 275 Verado running if the 25 HP Honda is idling at the dock beside it..or Mike the Pike's for that matter ! :P

Thats Ok Wayne I can't hear it either.

Come to think of it last November there was so much talking goin on about that big smelly sheeps head that was caught by Terry in your boat that I could not hear your motor either :whistling:

I would buy any brand 4 stroke made today have heard very few issues with motors that are properly maintained.

Now the can of worms is getting empty .

Tiller :P

Um.....where is your console right now?

I thought so.......hahahahahahahahaha

Sinker

Thanks Sinker I just could not say this to my Southern friend.

Of course Dog forgot to tell ya he has been running pure hootch moonshine for extra performance :whistling:

GCDLakair.jpg

Now look closely the man has not one but 2 Tiller handles behind him.

:P

Tiller definition:

tiller

n 1: a shoot that sprouts from the base of a grass

2: someone who tills land (prepares the soil for the planting

of crops)

3: lever used to turn the rudder on a boat... one step above a row boat

4: a farm implement used to break up the surface of the soil

(for aeration and weed control and conservation of

moisture) [syn: cultivator]

v : grow shoots in the form of stools or tillers [syn: stool]